Nigerians woke up on Wednesday to the news that President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressive Congress, APC has been declared President-elect.
Buhari who defeated Peoples Democratic Party, PDP’s, candidate, Atiku Abubakar with 15,191,847 votes, was announced by INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, as the winner of the Presidential elections, after about three days of collating the results.
Buhari, moments after he was declared winner, gave a victory acceptance speech at his party’s campaign headquarters.
Find below ten things to note in his acceptance speech as compiled by this online medium.
1. First and foremost, I give thanks to Almighty God Who has spared our lives to witness another victory for Nigerian democracy and victory for our party APC.
2. I thank the millions of Nigerians who voted to re-elect me as your president for the next four years. I am deeply humbled and profoundly grateful to you for judging me worthy of continuing to serve you and for your peaceful conduct.
3. In particular, I would like to thank Asiwaju Bola Tinubu for his masterful leadership as Co-chair of the Campaign Council. I would like to also thank the Party Chairman Adams Oshiomhole, the Director General of the Campaign Council Rotimi Amaechi, all members of the Presidential Campaign Council and other various Support Groups.
4. My grateful thanks to all those who contributed to the logistical expenses of the campaign in such a vast country like Nigeria.
5. I also thank the millions of volunteers, self-appointed overseers, canvassers, agents, escorts and sentries who sacrificed so much of their time and resources to ensure the success of these elections. I do not have the words adequate to thank them.
6. I am very sad at the grievous loss of lives during these elections. Security agencies will step up their efforts to protect voters in the forthcoming State elections
7. I would like to commend our security agencies, as severely overstretched as they are, for handling the difficult task of securing the country during the election period.
8. I will like to make a special appeal to my supporters not to gloat or humiliate the opposition. Victory is enough reward for your efforts
9. The new Administration will intensify its efforts in Security, Restructuring the Economy and Fighting Corruption. We have laid down the foundation and we are committed to seeing matters to the end.
10. We will strive to strengthen our unity and inclusiveness so that no section or group will feel left behind or left out.