The death sentence imposed on Yahya Sharif Aminu, a Kano-based singer who was convicted for blasphemy has been overturned by a court.
He was sentenced to death by hanging on August 10, 2020, after he was found guilty of committing blasphemy against Prophet Muhammad in a viral song.
Overturning the death sentence, the state’s chief judge Nuraddeen Sagir, stated that the trial was full of irregularities as the appellant was not given legal representation.
Sagir also said that the judgement of the upper Sharia court contravened section 2-6-9 of the administration of criminal justice act.
He ordered that the case be re-tried at the same court and that the appellant should be given fair hearing and legal representation under another judge.
Kano state Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, had earlier vowed to sign the warrant of the death sentence passed on 22-year-old Yahaya Sharif-Aminu for allegedly blaspheming Prophet Muhammad.
Ganduje applauded the judgment. Leaders of the Ulamahs, who represented the three major sects of Islam: Izalah, Tijjaniyya and Kadiriyya, also unanimously hailed the judgment.
The Supreme Council for Shari’ah in Nigeria recently urged the Kano state government to execute Yahaya Sharif-Aminu.
More from my site
- Any Muslim Lawyer Who Defends Convicted Kano Singer Has Renounced Islam, Cleric Declares
- 22-Yr-Old Singer, Yahaya Sharif-Aminu Sentenced To Death For Blasphemy In Kano
- Nigerians Dig Up Ganduje Bribery Case After Governor Declared Readiness To Sign Singer’s Death Warrant
- UN Human Rights Council Asks Nigeria To Overturn Death Sentence On Kano Singer
- Fiery Lawyer, Falana To ‘Rescue’ Kano Musician Sentenced To Death
- Ramadan: Sultan of Sokoto confirms sighting of moon, fasting begins Saturday
- Muslim Lawyers Applaud Death Sentence On Kano Singer Days After Boko Haram Leader, Shekau Faults It
- Falana Drags FG And Kano State Govt To African Commission Over Kano Singer’s Death Sentence
- Boy, 13, Bags 10 Years Imprisonment For Blasphemy In Kano, U.S Agency Reacts
- Blasphemy: Court Sentences Christian To Death For Insulting Prophet Muhammad
- Blasphemy: Sheikh AbdulJabar’s followers caution Kano govt against broadcasting trial live
- Nigerians React As Police Arrest Mubarak Bala For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad
- How Nigerians reacted to police arrest of atheist who allegedly insulted Prophet Muhammad
- Sharia Existed Before British Christian Colonialists Stopped It In Yorubaland – MURIC
- Kano Election: Appeal Court Takes Final Decision On Ganduje’s Election
- Shun habits that tarnish Islam – Cleric charges Muslims
- Sultan Of Sokoto Urges Nigerians To Engage In Nation Building
- Bloodshed must stop in Nigeria – Sultan, CAN, Ooni, others
- Unlawful wedding expenses cause divorce in our society- Sultan of Sokoto
- Sultan Tells Muslims When To Look For New Moon
- America Places Nigerian Minister On Watch List