News

They Can’t Ignore Presidential Order – EFCC Unfreezes Osun Government Accounts

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on the Osun State Government’s bank accounts following an order by President Bola Tinubu.

It was reports that the accounts, held by First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, were frozen earlier in August as part of an investigation into the alleged misuse of public funds in the state.

Checks by Saturday Punch showed that the accounts had resumed normal operations.

The EFCC issued a Post No Debit instruction on the accounts on August 5.

The commission said the action was connected to an investigation that began in March 2026 over the alleged handling of about ₦11bn in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations received from the Federation Account Allocation Committee.

The matter later drew the attention of President Tinubu, who ordered the commission to remove the restriction.

The President had described the EFCC action as embarrassing and called for the state accounts to be reopened.

Following his victory in the election, Adeleke also instructed the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the legal action filed against the EFCC over the restriction on the accounts.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed.

According to him, the EFCC acted on the President’s directive and the accounts were reopened immediately.

“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately.

“If it was not lifted, the Osun State Government would have made it a campaign issue. The fact that they are not talking about it shows it has been done,” he said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version