Connect with us

News

See why Wole Soyinka snubbed US Embassy’s summons

Published

on

Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, explained on Tuesday that he shunned an invitation by the US embassy for a visa re-interview in September because he was not comfortable with the September 11 date fixed for the exercise.

September 11 became a symbolic date in the US after the September 11, 2021, devastating terror attack on the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre in New York City and other locations.

Soyinka, who described himself as superstitious, said he found it odd that the embassy would choose September 11 for his visa re-interview.

The world-acclaimed writer gave the explanation during a media parley, titled  “Unending Saga: Idi Amin in Whiteface” which was held at Kongi’s Harvest Gallery, Freedom Park, Lagos Island.

At the gathering, Soyinka disclosed that the US embassy had revoked his visa, saying the media parley was necessary to let those expecting him in the US to know that he had been “banned”.

Soyinka, who is a vocal critic of the US President Donald Trump, said he got the notice of his visa revocation in a letter dated October 23, 2025, and wondered what could have led to it.

In the letter, the US Consulate stated that the Nobel laureate’s non-immigrant visa “has been revoked pursuant to the authority contained in the U.S. Department of State regulations 22 CFR 41.122 and is no longer valid for application for entry into the United States. Additional information became available after the visa below was issued. This revocation refers only to the visa listed below.”

The Consulate further requested Soyinka to bring his visa to the Lagos embassy “for physical cancellation,” a request the Nobel laureate described as humorous, asking if anyone in the audience would volunteer to deliver it to the embassy on his behalf.

See also  Oil output slumps as Nigeria, Libya, Venezuela drag OPEC+ targets

“If you have plans to travel to the United States, you must apply again to re-establish your qualifications for a new non-immigrant visa,” the letter, issued by the NIV Section of the Consulate, added.

Soyinka’s B1/B2 visa was issued on April 2, 2024, in Lagos, according to the letter.

Soyinka said the media parley was necessary so that people expecting him in the US would know that he had been “banned”.

“It is necessary for me to hold this press conference so that people in the United States who are expecting me for this event or that event do not waste their time. I have no visa; I am banned, obviously, from the United States. And if you want to see me, you know where to find me,” the 91-year-old author, playwright, and poet told journalists at the upper chamber of the art gallery.

Soyinka expressed surprise over the development, saying, “I’ve started looking back—have I ever misbehaved toward the United States of America? Do I have a history? Have I been convicted? Have I gone against the law anywhere?”

He, however, noted that the development would not affect his relationship with US citizens.

“I assured them that both he and his staff are given permanent visas anytime they want to visit the Autonomous Republic of Ijegba, situated in Abeokuta. There will be no reciprocal conduct from my principalities,” Soyinka said, making reference to a recent conversation he had with the US ambassador in Lagos over the revocation.

When asked if he would be willing to travel to the United States in the near future, Soyinka responded in the affirmative but ruled out the possibility of him making the move to seek his visa reinstatement.

According to him, given his age and contributions to the U.S., he owes the country nothing and vice versa.

See also  NASS to harmonise Electoral Bill Monday

“How old am I now? What am I looking for anywhere? Like I said, I have nothing against the American citizens. Human beings live there — friends, families, and colleagues. There are a lot of art productions going on there, and there are philosophers. There are remarkable beings in that place.

“So, if circumstances change, yes (I will), and (if) I were invited. But I won’t make the effort myself. I won’t take the initiative myself because there is nothing I’m looking for there. I’ve been responsible for the creation of some institutions in that place. I’ve given as much as I’ve taken from that place. They owe me nothing, and I owe them nothing.”

On September 10, 2025, Soyinka told PM News that he would not honour an invitation by the U.S. Consulate in Nigeria for a visa re-interview, which was scheduled for Thursday, September 11.

Making reference to the invitation on Tuesday, Soyinka said he did not honour the invitation because, on one hand, he had a problem with the date, and on the other hand, he was not interested.

He said, “I don’t know if any of you read the statement I made when I received a letter asking me to bring back my passport because certain facts may have come out since the visa was issued.

“And I was given a date to report to their consulate with my passport. I declined the invitation. First of all, I didn’t like the date. Everybody knows what happened on that date, 9/11, many years ago, so it is rather unfortunate that they picked that date. So I said, ‘Sorry, I’m superstitious; I’m not coming on that day.’ And ultimately, I made it clear I was not going to apply for another date to bring in my passport. So I travelled out.

“When I came back — even before I came back — I got a letter from the ambassador. I wish to always stress that I have absolutely nothing against individual citizens. I have a continuing good relationship with members of the U.S. embassy.”

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: 2 shot de@d as Kenyan security forces fire in the air to disperse crowd at viewing of Raila Odinga's body

He continued, “So we arranged a call, and I explained. Again, he offered a special visit by me at the consulate, and they would ask a few questions about the possible facts that existed that they didn’t know about when this visa was issued. We spoke, and I said, ‘Shall I be equally frank with you? I’m not interested.’”

Best known as a playwright, Soyinka won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1986. He had lived abroad, primarily in the U.S., for a long time, where he held professorships at several universities, according to The Nobel Prize.

Soyinka’s visa revocation sparks fresh conversation about recent steps taken by the U.S. to check migrant influx into the country, especially from Africa.

The PUNCH reported in July that the U.S. Department of State announced an update to its non-immigrant visa policy for Nigerian citizens.

According to a press release issued by the U.S. Embassy in Abuja, “most non-immigrant and non-diplomatic visas issued to citizens of Nigeria will be single-entry visas with a three-month validity period.”

However, the embassy clarified that “those U.S. non-immigrant visas issued before July 8, 2025, will retain their status and validity.”

In August, the U.S. Mission in Nigeria also issued a directive to visa applicants mandating the disclosure of all social media usernames and handles used over the past five years as part of the visa application process.

The directive, announced in a post on the Mission’s official X account, came as the U.S. Department of State reiterated its commitment to bolster national security through enhanced screening measures.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  DHQ clarifies delay in soldiers’ allowances, cites system glitches

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Jigawa assembly urges strict action against errant LG workers

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: 2 shot de@d as Kenyan security forces fire in the air to disperse crowd at viewing of Raila Odinga's body
Continue Reading

Trending