Connect with us

News

FG, Oyo lawmaker empower 210 youths with digital skills, laptops

Published

on

The Federal Government on Friday trained about 210 youths in Oyo State on digital marketing, cybersecurity basics, remote work, and technology-enabled entrepreneurship.

The digital literacy and empowerment programme was facilitated by a lawmaker representing Ibadan North-West/Ibadan South-West Federal Constituency and a Governorship aspirant under the Peoples Democratic Party in the state, Stanley Olajide, in collaboration with the National Information Technology Development Agency.

The event was held at Dapo Aderogba Hall, Nigeria Union of Journalists state Secretariat, Iyaganku Government Reserved Area, Ibadan, the state capital.

Olajide, popularly called Odidiomo, explained that his priorities include establishing tech and innovation hubs to position Ibadan as the technology capital of the South-West.

The chairman of the House Committee on Digital, Information Communication Technology and Cybersecurity described the practical as a response to the challenge of youth unemployment and the urgent need to bridge the digital divide.

He said, “I serve as a representative and remain actively engaged in committees related to ICT, cybersecurity, and other areas of technology. Technology is not just a field for me; it is a passion.

“A key priority is how we can empower our youth, both men and women, by equipping them with the skills they need to succeed. This is central to everything I do, because the future of Nigeria depends on them,” he said.

The lawmaker indicated that the programme is being expanded in phases, with additional cohorts already scheduled to scale its impact beyond the current beneficiaries.

“Regarding this programme, we have about 210 beneficiaries participating today, with an additional 150 set to begin next week. This will bring the total to approximately 360 participants in this phase. We plan to run up to ten phases before the end of the year; this is the second phase, following an earlier one held late last year.

See also  Russians optimistic as Trump, Putin meet to discuss Ukraine ceasefire

“Beyond training, participants received financial support ranging between N30,000 and M50,000 to help them launch digital ventures. This move was deliberately structured to ensure immediate access and transparency.

“Each participant is receiving financial support, between N30,000 and N50,000, to help them get started. I made it a point that these funds be given in cash to avoid any issue related to network failures or delays in transfers, ensuring transparency and that everyone receives what they are entitled to,” he explained.

Olajide stressed that the programme represented only a foundational step in a longer-term plan to integrate Nigerian youths into emerging global technology ecosystems, including artificial intelligence and blockchain.“We must provide young people with the right tools and knowledge to prepare them for what lies ahead. This training programme is only a starting point.

“We intend to build on it with more advanced opportunities, including areas like artificial intelligence, blockchain, and other emerging technologies. However, for these to be effective, there must be a strong foundation, and that is what we are laying now,“ Olajide said.

Drawing comparisons with global best practices, he pointed to India’s transformation through sustained investment in technology training, noting that similar efforts could reposition Nigerian cities as innovation hubs.

“I often reflect on how countries like India addressed youth unemployment by investing in technology training, eventually transforming cities like Bangalore into global tech hubs. In the same way, we can position Ibadan and the state as leading technology hubs in West Africa and beyond,” the lawmaker stated.

The lawmaker added that the broader objective is to provide participants with practical skills, entrepreneurial support and the tools required to compete in a rapidly evolving digital economy.

See also  FULL LIST: Nigeria ranked 36th world’s most corrupt country in 2025

“Our goal is to give participants baseline skills, startup support, and the tools they need to begin their journey. Stay focused, embrace what you have learned with passion, continue to develop your skills, and use the resources provided wisely. The future is in your hands,“ he said.

He, therefore, urged the beneficiaries to make use of the training and tools judiciously.

Earlier, the NITDA representative, Eedris Faruk, said the participants were equipped with skills in digital literacy, AI, responsible platform use, and online business setup to drive education, entrepreneurship, and employment.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  EU-Iran Tension Escalates As Tehran Labels European Militaries Terrorists

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: "We're not asking for too much. Give us light" Nigerians in Lagos protest over lack of power supply
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Ogun: Intrigues as Awujale stool remains vacant one year after

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending