Connect with us

Crime

Lagos Taskforce arrests fake naval captain, two others over Oworonshoki demolition

Published

on

Lagos State Taskforce has apprehended three suspected impersonators accused of posing as officers of the Nigerian Navy, including a man identified as James K. Robert, who allegedly claimed the rank of Captain, in connection with the demolition of illegal shanties and encroachments on government land in Oworonshoki, Lagos.

The Chairman of the Taskforce, Chief Superintendent of Police Adetayo Akerele, disclosed this on Thursday at the agency’s Oshodi–Bolade office.

He said the suspects had been falsely presenting themselves as naval personnel to defraud residents and interfere with lawful government activities.

Akerele explained that the arrests followed the suspects’ involvement during the demolition exercise at Oworonshoki, where they allegedly deployed fake military identities to intimidate residents, obstruct enforcement efforts and gain undue advantage.

According to him, the principal suspect, Robert, whose name appeared both on his uniform name tag and in the Taskforce visitor’s register, had earlier visited the office to demand the release of vehicles removed from the demolition site by enforcement officers.

He noted that this was despite the fact that statutory notices and repeated warnings had earlier been issued to Robert to vacate the affected property before the demolition, which he allegedly ignored.

“The suspect, accompanied by his wife and an alleged orderly, claimed ownership of the car lot at the demolition site and demanded that it be spared in the spirit of esprit de corps,” Akerele said.

He added that when the request was rejected in line with professional standards and public service rules, the suspect allegedly became hostile and threatened a confrontation between his supposed men and Taskforce operatives.

See also  Police arrest man for defiling 13-year-old girl in Ondo

Akerele said further doubts were raised after he subjected the suspect to a detailed interview and requested information about his military posting and command.

He explained that several inconsistencies were observed, including improperly worn service ribbons, missing regimental insignia and an overall appearance inconsistent with that of a senior naval officer.

He said the Taskforce immediately contacted the Naval Police Unit of the Nigerian Navy, which confirmed that the individual was not a serving officer, leading to the arrest of the suspect and his accomplices.

The Taskforce chairman disclosed that the suspects had already been under surveillance following repeated confrontations with officers during field operations, as well as complaints from members of the public about a man allegedly posing as a Navy Captain to intimidate and extort residents.

Akerele also revealed that the suspect’s wife reportedly admitted she had warned her husband on several occasions to stop impersonating military personnel, remarking that “several days are for the thief, but one day is for the owner.”

He added that his suspicions deepened when the alleged orderly and other accomplices discreetly withdrew from the scene shortly before the arrest.

“Before the suspects could fully comprehend what was happening, officers of the Nigerian Navy Military Police were already on ground and took them into custody. They are currently undergoing further investigation,” Akerele said.

He assured the public that the suspects would be prosecuted by the appropriate military authorities, stressing that the arrest would serve as a strong warning to others who impersonate security personnel to commit crimes and undermine the integrity of the Police and Armed Forces.

See also  EFCC probes ‘prophet’ over alleged N70.39m fraud

“I urge members of the public to remain vigilant and continue to report suspicious activities through our official feedback channels for prompt action. No criminal will be allowed to find safe haven in Lagos State,” he added.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police arrest 10 suspected human parts sellers in Oyo

Published

on

The Oyo State Police Command has arrested 10 suspected human parts sellers.

The suspects were arrested in the Iseyin and Saki areas of the state.

Public Relations Officer of the command, Olayinka Ayanlade, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.

Exhibits recovered from the suspects include one suspected human heart, human flesh, pieces of human skull and assorted charms.

The statement said the exhibits have been secured for forensic examination and further investigation.

The suspects were identified as Adam Ibrahim, Nasiru Kabiru, Tijani Wasiu, Abiola Nasiru, Amusa Gbadamosi, Raheem Taofeek, Jimoh Muritala, Suleiman Busari, Ganiyu Nurudeen and Usman Abdullahi.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Interpol arrests 11 high-level members of terrorist groups in Nigeria
Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Kebbi man arrested over alleged ritual desecration of Qur’an after burying it in pit with s€men to make woman more submissive to her husband

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.

The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.

According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.

The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.

“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.

“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.

“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.

See also  Police arrest 18-year-old attempting to collect N20m ransom in Lagos

“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Gunmen abduct 14 passengers in Benue

Published

on

Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.

The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.

A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.

“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.

The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.

According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.

Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.

“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read

“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”

The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.

See also  Police arrest man for defiling 13-year-old girl in Ondo

He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.

According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.

He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending