Connect with us

Politics

Presidency defends Tinubu’s policies, says criticism must be factual

Published

on

The Presidency has criticised a recent editorial by a newspaper, describing it as exaggerated, unbalanced, and a misrepresentation of the state of the nation.

Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Media and Public Communications, Sunday Dare, in a statement on Friday, said while the administration welcomes constructive criticism, it must be “anchored on facts, not distortion or selective pessimism.”

According to him, the Tinubu administration is not denying the economic challenges being faced by some Nigerians but will not allow “exaggerated pessimism and generalisation” to distort the reality.

“The irony is that what is often criticised today are, in fact, the policies that will ensure that Nigerians have a more secure, stable, and prosperous future,” he stated.

Citing the UNICEF-linked hunger projection referenced by the newspaper, Dare clarified that it was based on the Cadre Harmonisé Food and Nutrition Insecurity Analysis—a worst-case scenario for the June–August 2025 lean season—rather than a current count.

“Here are some of the measures taken by the government to ensure we never get there: over 42,000 metric tons of grains have been released from federal strategic reserves; 117,000 metric tons are under additional procurement; the President activated the Food Security Council; and emergency nutrition support has been scaled up in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Katsina, Sokoto, and Bauchi States,” he said.

On the naira’s performance, Dare rejected the paper’s “worthless naira” description, noting that the currency had strengthened from ₦1,800/$ in March 2024 to about ₦1,525/$ as of August 1, 2025.

“The naira has not collapsed—it has been corrected and is now recovering,” he insisted, attributing the rebound to increased oil receipts, restored investor confidence, unification of the FX window, and the reduction of the FX backlog by over $4bn.

See also  Damilola Marshal, KWAM1’s daughter declares ambition for Lagos Assembly

The presidential aide also dismissed claims that the school feeding programme had “fizzled out,” insisting that over 9.8 million children in 53,000 schools continue to benefit, alongside more than 200,000 cooks and local farmers engaged nationwide.

Dare added that three million vulnerable households have received ₦75,000 each under the Renewed Hope Conditional Cash Transfer, with plans to reach 15 million, while over 396,000 students are benefiting from tuition loans and stipends through NELFUND.

He also highlighted the President’s recently approved Renewed Hope Ward Development Programme, which targets all 8,809 wards in Nigeria with interventions in poverty alleviation, food security, infrastructure, power, and job creation.

“This administration does not ask for silence in the face of hardship. It asks only for fairness and a shared commitment to rebuilding this country, not just exaggerating its pain,” he said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

VIDEO: #OSUNDECIDES2026! Angry Youths Storm INEC Office, Chant “Fadahunsi Ole”

Published

on

Some Osun youths gathered at the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in Osogbo, Saturday night, to monitor the collation of results from the governorship election.

 

In a video from the scene, the youths could be heard chanting “Fadahunsi ole, your plans will not work”.

The senator representing Osun East, Francis Fadahunsi, had earlier been captured in another video during the election, where he was seen confronting and allegedly threatening voters at his polling unit in the presence of a police officer.

The chant came as the collation of results from the election continued at the INEC headquarters.

Watch video below..

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Peter Obi reveals details of his meeting with Former President Goodluck Jonathan
Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Election: EU Observer Hub Uncovers 323 Electoral Offences, 38 Security Incidents

Published

on

The European Union (EU) Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria Election Observation Hub (EU-SDGN EOH) has claimed that there were over 38 reported security incidents and 323 electoral offences and irregularities in the Osun 2026 election.

Naija News reports that the Union, which comprises the Centre for Media and Society (CEMESO), the International Press Centre (IPC), the Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF), TAF Africa, The Kukah Centre (TKC) and Yiaga Africa, made the claim in a statement on Saturday.

The hub asserted that the 726 polling units monitored were disrupted by violent acts and irregularities.

They disclosed that they had deployed 823 accredited observers across polling units in all 30 local government areas to monitor the election.

The statement read, “Of 2,339,233 registered voters, 1,906,390, representing 81.50 per cent, had collected their Permanent Voters Cards and were eligible to vote.”

Speaking on the security incidents, the Union stated that there were 25 cases of thuggery, 12 attacks on electoral officials and 9 cases of voter intimidation by security personnel.

The hub said, “It separately recorded 323 cases of electoral offences across the polling units observed, including 103 cases of vote trading, 85 cases of exposure of ballot papers, 31 cases of obstruction of voters, 38 cases of campaigning at polling units, 28 cases of inducement of polling and security officials, 14 cases of voter impersonation, 12 cases of multiple voting and 7 cases of misconduct by election officials.”

The Hub also identified specific cases of voter intimidation by security agents at PU 29-10-10-005, Igbon District Council School, Ejigbo, and PU 29-30-06-015, opposite No. 22 Oke Ola Street, Okanla Area, Osogbo.

See also  Ekiti Decides: Police secure election materials across LGs, INEC ready

“During the accreditation process, 608 of 726 observed polling units, or 83.7 per cent, had polling officials with a full complement of both sensitive and non-sensitive materials between 7:30am and 8:00 am. A further 75 polling units opened between 8:00am and 8:30am, and 42 between 8:30 am and 11:00am, while one polling unit remained unopened as of 11:00am due to the non-arrival of personnel and materials,” the statement read.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Poll: Full List Of LGAs Won By Adeleke

Published

on

The Governor of Osun State and candidate of the Accord Party (A), Ademola Adeleke, has been officially declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as the winner of the 2026 governorship election.

Naija News had earlier reported that Adeleke, who contested against the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Oyebamiji and several other candidates, had a total of 511,067 votes while Oyebamiji gathered 444,815 votes, a difference of 66,256 votes.

Adeleke won 19 local government areas, while his closest rival, Oyebamiji, won 11.

Here are the local government areas won by Adeleke:

Ede North: Adeleke — 35,427; APC — 10,283

Osogbo: Adeleke — 36,480; APC — 30,474

Ede South: Adeleke — 26,188; APC — 6,219

Iwo: Adeleke — 27,085; APC — 19,660

Ife East: Adeleke — 27,201; APC — 18,600

Ife Central: Adeleke — 21,171; APC — 15,913

Ifelodun: Adeleke — 21,107; APC — 18,396

Oriade: Adeleke — 21,343; APC — 14,863

Egbedore: Adeleke — 19,278; APC — 11,194

Odo Otin: Adeleke — 18,003; APC — 15,435

Ilesa West: Adeleke — 16,196; APC — 12,756

Ila: Adeleke — 16,211; APC — 12,934

Ayedaade: Adeleke — 16,681; APC — 15,719

Ife North: Adeleke — 13,879; APC — 9,613

Orolu: Adeleke — 12,352; APC — 10,622

Boluwaduro: Adeleke — 7,118; APC — 7,050

Ayedire: Adeleke — 11,073; APC — 9,910

Ejigbo Local Government Area and Ifedayo

Meanwhile, the European Union (EU) Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria Election Observation Hub (EU-SDGN EOH) has claimed that there were over 38 reported security incidents and 323 electoral offences and irregularities in the Osun 2026 election.

See also  Afenifere debunks endorsing coalition, says report is false

Naija News reports that the Union, which comprises the Centre for Media and Society (CEMESO), the International Press Centre (IPC), the Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF), TAF Africa, The Kukah Centre (TKC) and Yiaga Africa, made the claim in a statement on Saturday.

The hub asserted that violent acts and irregularities disrupted the 726 polling units monitored.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending