Connect with us

Crime

PHOTOS: Troops arrest three female ISWAP collaborators in Borno IDP Camp

Published

on

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have arrested three women suspected of collaborating with Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists during a covert operation in Kunduğa, Borno State.

Military sources said the arrests followed intelligence obtained from a lawful communications intercept conducted on 12 June 2026.

The sources indicated that investigators intercepted information linked to an individual identified as Ba Musa, who allegedly contacted a woman to facilitate movement into a terrorist enclave.

Acting on the intelligence, troops of the 222 Battalion (Mobile) carried out a covert operation at about 2230hrs on 18 June 2026, leading to the arrest of three female suspects at an Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camp in Kunduğa.

The suspects were identified as Aisha Mustapha, 19; Astakawu Bura, 23; and Zarah Bukar, 50.

Military authorities said the suspects are currently in the custody of the 222 Battalion (Mobile) and are undergoing further investigation to determine the extent of their alleged involvement and possible links to terrorist activities.

The sources noted that the overall security situation across the North-East theatre remains calm but unpredictable, while troops continue offensive and intelligence-driven operations against terrorist networks in the region.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Customs hand over N53.39bn seized drugs to NDLEA, NAFDAC
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Tinubu orders further forensic probe into fake agency scandal

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday directed the commissioning of a comprehensive forensic investigation into the fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council scandal.

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed this while briefing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council meeting, presided over by Tinubu at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.

Oyedele said, “That is to do with the fake agency that is called the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council. Mr President gave us the updates about the work the ICPC has done, and as a result of that, the council has directed that we commission a forensic investigation that will look into our processes, our procedures, internal control weaknesses that allow some of these things to happen, because the findings discovered that we indeed have additional fake agencies.

“What is important is to establish what went wrong, how it can be prevented, and going forward, how we can make our systems stronger.

“Systems are built when you find problems, you deal with them decisively, and that’s exactly what Mr President and council have directed today.”

The former tax reform chief said the Attorney-General of the Federation and his own office had been directed to work with other relevant agencies to address the matter holistically, spanning its administrative, accounting and governance dimensions.

He disclosed that the President had specifically ordered the review to extend to the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System, warning that fake agencies likely mean fake employees somewhere within the federal payroll.

“Mr President directed that the review should extend to IPPIS, because if you have fake agencies, you most likely have fake employees.

See also  Bandits kidnap serving councillor in Southern Kaduna

“In a country where you would have seen Mr President doing everything to ensure we enhance payroll, salaries and wages, we can’t afford to have fake people hanging around. It undermines our ability to pay our people well, who are doing the hard work,” he said.

He disclosed that N9.495tn in subsidy savings and incremental revenue had gone into incremental payment of salaries and allowances to civil servants, a figure he said exceeded the actual savings that accrued to the Federal Government from the subsidy removal.

Oyedele explained, “So we don’t want to be further constrained by fake agencies and fake personnel. This is something we take very seriously, and the Nigerian people will get updates as we progress.

“It’s collective responsibility. Something went wrong. Someone managed, with whatever people they colluded with, to create a fake agency that had an office within the institution of the Federal Government.

“They managed to register and obtain an administrative code as well as a TSA code. The only thing that didn’t happen was we didn’t pay any money to those accounts. But it’s gone too far to even get to that level. Now the idea is we want to find out what went wrong and strengthen the system.”

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, provided further context on the ICPC’s findings, confirming that the commission’s report identified more than the initially known fake council.

“The President was informed that it is not just about the so-called Presidential Foreign Promotion Council and the fake DG that was there, but that there were at least two additional fake agencies that were in that process.

“So what the President said was that this is not just about accounting; it is also about the administrative looseness that was discovered by the ICPC,” Idris said.

See also  Soldiers foil terrorists attack in Taraba, kill two suspects

He explained that the President had directed the Attorney-General and the Finance Minister to jointly examine both the administrative and accounting systems to identify the lapses that enabled the scandal, and to engage professional audit firms for a forensic, total evaluation of the system.

“So that we have a forensic, total evaluation of this system, with a view to plugging this once and for all, so we don’t have this national embarrassment again,” he said.

Idris cautioned that the scandal likely predates the current administration, saying, “I want you to know that this didn’t just happen now. This may date back longer than when the President was in office.”

“The President is not just looking at this; he is looking at the possibility that this may also have occurred elsewhere, and trying to find a solution that will block this from recurring going forward,” he added.

The controversy emerged after Adeniyi Adeyemi presented himself as the Director-General of the PFIPC and the purported council operated from an office within the Federal Secretariat in Abuja.

Questions were subsequently raised during the probe by the House of Representatives ad hoc committee headed by Yusuf Gagdi over how an organisation without a legal foundation was able to function as a government agency and gain access to official processes.

The matter escalated after allegations that the council had been allocated about N1.3bn in the 2026 Appropriation Act.

The House of Representatives consequently constituted an ad hoc committee to investigate how the purported agency was created, how it found its way into the budget and whether government institutions or officials facilitated its operations.

See also  PHOTOS: Customs hand over N53.39bn seized drugs to NDLEA, NAFDAC

Earlier in his briefing, Oyedele disclosed that council approved the signing of Double Taxation Avoidance Treaties between Nigeria and Ghana, Nigeria and Tanzania, and Nigeria and Switzerland.

“The overall objective of these treaties is to ensure that Nigeria can expand the opportunities available to our businesses to invest in other countries, and also for us to attract investment from those countries.

“We’re hoping that Nigeria can develop a very robust tax treaty network to compete with leading countries in Africa, like South Africa, which has over 60. But we’re making good progress,” he said.

Oyedele also disclosed that the council approved a $1.25bn financing facility from the International Development Association and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development in support of Nigeria’s Actions for Investment and Job Acceleration development policy financing.

“This is a concessional facility with repayments of about 30 years, which we are going to dedicate to helping accelerate job creation. If we have any priority as a country, this clearly has to be one of them,” he stated.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

NDLEA nabs alleged cocaine baron fleeing to Paris

Published

on

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has dismantled an international cocaine trafficking cartel that allegedly used Nigeria as a transit hub for moving illicit drugs to the United Kingdom, other parts of Europe and Asia.

The agency also arrested the alleged Nigerian arrowhead of the syndicate, a self-styled luxury goods dealer and social media influencer, Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly known online as “KC Luxury,” as he attempted to flee the country.

A statement by the agency spokesman, Femi Babafemi, said the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), disclosed this while addressing journalists in Lagos on Tuesday.

Marwa described the operation as one of the most significant narcotics investigations undertaken by the agency in recent times, saying it led to the seizure of 184.50kg of cocaine, the largest cocaine seizure made through a courier company in Nigeria.

According to him, the operation began with the interception of the cocaine consignment concealed for onward export through a courier logistics channel in Lagos.

He said following the seizure, he directed the constitution of a Special Investigation Team to trace the entire network behind the shipment, from the couriers to the masterminds.

Marwa said the cartel hoped to realise as much as N39bn from the consignment through its international distribution network.

“The operation began with the interception of a consignment of 184.50 kilograms of cocaine concealed for onward export through a courier logistics channel in Lagos. Given the scale of the seizure, I immediately directed the constitution of a Special Investigation Team, with a mandate to trace the entire network behind the shipment, from the couriers to the masterminds. The cartel was hoping to realise as much as N39 billion from the consignment through their international distribution network,” the statement quoted Marwa as saying.

See also  PHOTOS: Customs hand over N53.39bn seized drugs to NDLEA, NAFDAC

Working with the management of the courier company involved, Marwa said NDLEA operatives unravelled a network of intermediary companies and individuals used to process the consignment, leading to the arrest of two key suspects, among others.

“The first, Lawal Mujab Kehinde, a staff member of the logistics firm through which the cocaine was processed, was found to have a direct and sustained relationship with the cartel’s Nigerian coordinator. Investigation also established that he packages and processes consignments for the syndicate, routes them to the United Kingdom, other parts of Europe and Asia, and was paid in cash.

“The second and more prominent suspect is Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly known online as “KC Luxury,” whom investigations identified as the Nigerian arrowhead of the cartel. Parading as a social media influencer and businessman dealing in gold, jewellery, and luxury goods, Afolabi used his glamorous public image to disguise a criminal enterprise moving cocaine along a pipeline stretching from South America, through Nigeria, to the United Kingdom, other parts of Europe and Asia,” Marwa said.

Marwa said Afolabi was arrested at the boarding gate of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, on August 13, 2026, after intelligence indicated that he planned to flee the country on a business-class flight to Paris.

He said the suspect was found in possession of €7,750, £2,800 and N100,000 cash, as well as expensive jewellery.

A subsequent search of his luxury apartment on Banana Island, Ikoyi, Lagos, also led to the recovery of exotic vehicles, according to the NDLEA boss.

Marwa said investigations further showed that the cartel used false identities to conceal the true consignors of its shipments and relied on financial facilitators who moved billions of naira on its behalf.

See also  Soldiers foil terrorists attack in Taraba, kill two suspects

He added that the syndicate maintained criminal contacts in the UK, some of whom had been arrested by British authorities in connection with the same cartel.

The NDLEA boss linked the operation to recent successes against transnational drug networks, including the dismantling of the Switzerland-based Simon Amadi drug cartel, which allegedly laundered millions of dollars through dark web marketplaces, as well as the takedown of two Nigerian-Mexican methamphetamine syndicates operating clandestine laboratories in forests in Ogun and Oyo states.

Marwa said the latest operation demonstrated that drug traffickers could no longer hide behind luxury lifestyles, forests, ports or courier companies.

“These operations send an unmistakable signal that this Agency’s reach extends into the ports, the forests, the luxury apartments, and the departure lounges alike, and that no sanctuary exists anywhere in Nigeria for those who traffic in poison,” he said.

He noted that drug trafficking organisations had recently shifted from seaports and airports, where scrutiny had intensified, to courier and logistics companies, which they allegedly considered less monitored channels for moving narcotics across international borders.

Marwa said the dismantling of the cartel, from the interception of the cocaine consignment to the arrest of its alleged Nigerian coordinator, demonstrated the agency’s capacity to detect traffickers wherever they operated.

“There is no alternative route into or out of Nigeria for illicit drugs that this Agency cannot police,” he stated.

The NDLEA chief also described the operation as a product of international cooperation, noting the near-simultaneous arrests of suspected cartel members in Nigeria and the UK.

See also  Police uncover bandits’ hideout, seize rifles, ammunition

He commended the agency’s international partners and members of the Special Investigation Team, coordinated by the Director of Operations and General Investigation, for their professionalism in unravelling the syndicate.

Marwa warned individuals who use luxury brands, glamorous lifestyles and social media personas to conceal drug trafficking activities that the agency would track them down.

“To those who believe they can hide behind luxury brands, glamorous lifestyles, and social media personas while trafficking poison into our communities and across our borders, this Agency will find you,” he said.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

Police impound five Air Peace vehicles over runway blockade

Published

on

The number of Air Peace vehicles impounded by the police for investigation following the recent Lagos airport runway blockade has increased from three to five.

The PUNCH reliably gathered that the vehicles, which are currently in police custody, are marked AJJ 589EX, KTU 440EZ, AAA 831F, KTU 85FH and EPE 656HF.

The development followed an incident in which some persons suspected to be staff members of Air Peace allegedly positioned the vehicles on the airside of the Lagos airport, disrupting the smooth movement of aircraft.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that three Air Peace buses were towed into police custody by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria after they were found parked in a manner capable of obstructing airport operations.

Although the police initially confirmed that three vehicles had been impounded, further findings by The PUNCH showed that the number had risen to five.

Speaking with The PUNCH, the spokesperson for the Airport Command of the Nigeria Police, Muhammed Adeola, confirmed that five Air Peace vehicles were now in police custody.

Adeola said that, as part of the investigation, the police had contacted Air Peace and asked the airline to produce the drivers who took the vehicles to the sensitive area of the airport.

He said the airline, however, claimed that some impostors might have been responsible for the alleged unruly conduct involving the vehicles and promised to conduct an internal investigation to identify those responsible.

As of the time of filing this report, Adeola said Air Peace had yet to provide the police with the outcome of its investigation. He added that the vehicles would remain in police custody until the airline produced the drivers who operated them.

See also  Herdsmen killed my husband while he dredged sand – Enugu widow

He said, “Yes, you are correct, there are five in our compound. When we started our investigation, we met with Air Peace and expected them to provide us with the drivers. But they told us that they believed some saboteurs must have driven their vehicles and all of that.

“They then promised to conduct an internal investigation and provide us with whoever they found to have driven the buses. Until then, the vehicles will be in our possession, since we must know those who attempted to disrupt the smooth running of airport operations.”

The incident occurred amid an industrial action by aviation unions over Air Peace’s alleged refusal to remit the five per cent Ticket Sales Charge to the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, as required by law.

The action, which grounded Air Peace’s operations at the Lagos and Abuja airports, disrupted travel plans and left passengers scrambling for alternative means of transportation. The unions had targeted Air Peace over claims that the airline was the largest debtor of funds due to the NCAA.

Prior to the action, the unions had issued three stages of warnings, threatening to picket airlines that allegedly failed to remit the five per cent TSC to the NCAA. The unions also alleged that some domestic airlines had made it difficult for employees to freely join trade unions, claiming that workers were afraid to express interest in union membership for fear of discrimination or victimisation.

The unions, however, described the industrial action as a measure of restraint, saying they had given the affected airlines several weeks to resolve the issues.

See also  Man dies after torture by So-Safe Corps in Ogun

Efforts to get a reaction from the airline were unsuccessful, as the airline’s spokesman, Efe Osifo-Whiskey, did not respond to questions on the matter.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending