Connect with us

Sports

Referee’s death during fitness test unfortunate — NFF committee

Published

on

The Nigeria Football Federation Development Committee has described the recent death of a referee during a fitness test in Abuja as an unfortunate incident, saying the official underwent the required medical examinations before participating in the exercise.

Chairman of the committee, Faith Irabor, said there was no negligence in the medical process leading to the referee’s participation in the fitness test.

Irabor made this known in Abuja while addressing newsmen on Friday in Abuja at the ongoing pre-season fitness and technical training for referees ahead of the 2026/27 football season.

She said referees were required to undergo medical examinations, including an electrocardiogram in their respective states before being cleared to participate in the fitness exercise.

“Before we do any physical fitness test, there are conditions.

The referees will do the ECG from their state of origin. The doctors will certify them fit for the exercise.

“When they come here, they meet the medical team here that will also cross-check and certify them that they are fit to do the exercise,” Irabor said.

According to her, the deceased referee presented a medical report signed by a doctor certifying him fit for the exercise.

She said the medical team of the Nigerian Sports Commission also conducted further checks on the referees using a prescribed medical format before they were cleared.

“He brought his medical report. A doctor signed, certifying him fit for the exercise.

“The medical team also certified them fit because there is a pre-format that we gave them to use, and that was what they used. The papers are there,” she said.

See also  Nigeria's Efe Ajagba enters boxing top 10 as Anthony Joshua drops out

Irabor said officials were also closely monitoring the referees during the physical exercise to respond immediately to any sign of distress.

“Even as they were training, we still followed them as they were training. Everybody stands at alert.

“So, when he was trying to stagger, we saw that and before he fell down, we took him and brought him for resuscitation and they took him to the hospital,” she said.

She also dismissed reports that the ambulance at the venue was not functional when the incident occurred.

“It is not true. The ambulance is working. It was there, and that was what we used to convey him to the hospital.

“We had a standby vehicle and we had an ambulance there. We don’t take people’s lives for granted,” Irabor said.

The chairman described the death as a  very unfortunate event, insisting that all necessary precautions had been taken.

“He had all his records, he was certified by the doctors, and then what happened happened in the field. So, it wasn’t like there was negligence.

“No, there was no negligence at all,” she said.

Irabor, however, said the committee was considering further strengthening the medical screening process to provide additional safeguards for referees.

She said one of the measures being considered was to have referees undergo their medical examinations at the National Hospital rather than relying solely on examinations conducted in their respective states.

“Maybe what we will do, we will be taking more drastic action. Instead of allowing them to come from their home, we go to the National Hospital and ask them to do it, so that all of us will just be on the same page,” she said.

See also  2026 World Cup: Confirmed round of 32 fixtures

Also speaking, an FCT-based Premier League referee, Ayuba Peter, described the incident as unfortunate and said it should not be attributed to negligence.

“This incident that happened was quite an unfortunate one. I wouldn’t say it was negligence on the part of anyone.

“This is not the first time he was undergoing the test. He has been doing it and has been on the list for a long time,” Peter said.
Peter said referees were aware of the intensity of the fitness exercise and were expected to prepare adequately before participating.

Similarly, Akinwale, a referee from Oyo State, said the incident was unfortunate, noting that referees were required to undergo ECG and further medical checks before taking part in the exercise.
“It was just an unfortunate event. Before you come down to this place, you have to do your ECG.

“Once the ECG gives you assurance that you’re okay and can run this race, you bring the ECG down to this place, and the medical team will check it and do the proper check-up for you,” he said.
Akinwale said the incident should be regarded as an unfortunate occurrence despite the medical procedures in place.

NAN

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League

Published

on

Zion Suzuki has had to overcome costly mistakes and racist abuse on the way to becoming the most expensive Japanese goalkeeper in history.

The 23-year-old will be the first Japanese goalkeeper to play in the Premier League when he seals his move to Aston Villa from Italian team Parma for up to 35 million euros ($40 million).

He is set to sign a five-year contract, The Athletic said, with current Villa number one Emiliano Martinez possibly leaving.

Suzuki, who was previously linked with Manchester United, was born in New Jersey to a Ghanaian father and Japanese mother and moved to Japan at a young age.

After coming through Japanese football he moved to Belgium then Italy and has already won 28 caps for his country.

Suzuki, who appeared set to join Champions League winners Paris Saint-Germain before Villa came calling, believes he has the tools to make it in the Premier League.

“Of course big saves are important but above all I want to become a goalkeeper who brings stability to the team,” Suzuki told FIFA’s website ahead of the World Cup, where he played a central role in Japan reaching the last 32.

“Doing the simple things well consistently. Playing with the determination not to concede.”

Suzuki rose through the ranks at J. League side Urawa Reds and made his international debut after only a handful of appearances for his club.

He moved to Belgian side Sint-Truiden in 2023 despite reported interest from United, reasoning that he wanted to get more experience as a first choice.

See also  Community Shield: Crystal Palace defeat Liverpool at Wembley

He was handed Japan’s number one jersey for the Asian Cup in January 2024 but turned in a series of blundering performances before they were eliminated in the quarter-finals.

The young stopper suffered online racial abuse after a group-stage defeat to Iraq.

Suzuki said of the abuse: “I’m not about to let it beat me.

“I want to come back at them by producing good results.”

– Mental strength –

Suzuki continued as Japan’s number one after the Asian Cup and gradually built up his reputation.

He moved to Parma in 2024 to become the first Japanese goalkeeper to play in Italy’s Serie A.

His team-mates called him “animale” because of his muscular 6ft 3ins frame.

Suzuki broke his hand in late 2025 but returned in time for this summer’s World Cup and excelled as Japan progressed from a group that also included the Netherlands, Tunisia and Sweden.

He again impressed against Brazil in the last 32 but could not prevent his team from going out 2-1 after conceding a 95th-minute winner to Gabriel Martinelli.

His imminent transfer to Villa means he will become only the second Japanese goalkeeper to play in English professional football, following Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi’s short stint with second-tier Portsmouth in the early 2000s.

Suzuki, whose first language is Japanese but speaks English, says he learnt from his early shortcomings.

“At the beginning I made a series of mistakes and showed my inexperience as Japan’s first-choice goalkeeper,” he told FIFA’s website.

“Now I feel I can bring a sense of stability to the team through my mentality.”

See also  Osimhen may wear arm protective gear, see why

Speaking as his reputation grew in Serie A, Suzuki said his aim was to be the best goalkeeper in the world.

“I want to be the best both as an individual and as a team, winning titles like the Champions League and World Cup,” he said.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Liverpool need more wingers, says Iraola

Published

on

Andoni Iraola admits Liverpool need to sign more wingers as they get used to life without Egypt star Mohamed Salah.

Iraola will take charge of his first Premier League game as Liverpool manager at Newcastle on Sunday after arriving from Bournemouth to replace the sacked Arne Slot in the close-season.

The trip to St James’ Park also marks the start of Liverpool’s first season without Salah since 2016-17.

Salah joined Turkish club Trabzonspor earlier in August, bringing down the curtain on the forward’s iconic Anfield career, which featured 257 goals and multiple trophies including Premier League and Champions League titles.

With Hugo Ekitike injured and doubts over Cody Gakpo’s Liverpool future, Iraola has limited options to support Alexander Isak in attack.

The Reds signed Victor Munoz in the summer and also have Federico Chiesa and teenager Rio Ngumoha, but Iraola would prefer to bring in more players on the flanks.

“In terms of what we need, there are certain situations that, for me, are clear, especially on the wing because we do not have enough players able to play in those positions,” the Spaniard told reporters on Friday.

“Beyond those positions, I think we have to be open-minded in the market and look at situations that can improve our team.

“It is not about signing a player because we need someone in a particular position. No. It is about improving the squad. We have very good players already here, so to improve, you need a specific level of player.”

See also  Turkey: Why Osimhen was benched against Gaziantep — Buruk

• ‘Lost a lot’ –

Salah’s exit is a major blow for Liverpool regardless of his poor form last season.

Ibrahima Konate and Andrew Robertson also departed for Real Madrid and Tottenham respectively.

Iraola is having to rebuild a squad that finished fifth in the Premier League last season, just 12 months after winning the title.

“We lost a lot in terms of experience, high-level players who have performed so well for so many years here but I think it is also a natural thing in clubs,” he said.

“I think we have a lot of young players willing to take those minutes and ready to take those leadership roles. Overall, I am very happy with the attitude of the players in the pre-season.”

Iraola earned plaudits for leading Bournemouth to European qualification last season with his astute tactics and high-energy style of play.

He will be tasked with mounting a title challenge while restoring the entertaining approach lost during Slot’s difficult second season.

Landing his preferred targets before the transfer window shuts on September 1 would ease Iraola’s acclimation to life on Merseyside.

“You understand how the competition works, that the market is open when you start the season,” he said.

“We have to adapt as coaches to this situation because there is a lot of uncertainty. Not just at Liverpool, but everywhere, because the market is open. But we have to adapt.

“Honestly, I don’t spend too much time thinking about these things. I know that you will spend a lot of time asking me about the market and this, but I am focused on the game against Newcastle. That is massive for me.

See also  Anthony Joshua joins Mourinho, Lewandowski at CAA Sports

“You have seen the very good players that we have right now in the building, so we can be competitive from the beginning.”

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission have commenced investigations into the utilisation of the N12bn Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation for players’ wages and bonuses.

The fund was approved by President Bola Tinubu in 2024 to clear outstanding payments owed to Nigeria’s national teams.

A top source familiar with the matter confirmed to our correspondent on Thursday that some officials linked to the matter had been invited by investigators and had provided statements.

“They have been under our radar before now. We invited some officials over to our offices, and they gave their statements. Presently, they are on administrative bail. We have not ended our investigation,” the source said.

The disclosure was contained in a letter signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the General Secretary of the NFF, in response to a request for the disclosure of financial records and utilisation logs relating to the fund.

The letter, dated August 18, 2026, was addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke, following correspondence dated August 7, 2026, but received by the NFF on August 11.

A copy of the NFF’s response was published by SaharaReporters on Thursday.

According to the report, the request was made under the Freedom of Information Act and sought access to financial records and other documents concerning the N12bn Federal Government intervention fund reportedly released to the NFF for players’ wages and bonuses.

However, the NFF declined to release the requested records, citing ongoing investigations by the two anti-corruption agencies.

See also  2026 World Cup: Confirmed round of 32 fixtures

“I am directed to refer to the above subject matter and your correspondence dated 7th August, 2026 but received on 11th August, 2026,” the letter stated.

“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

“Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.”

In January 2024, before the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Ivory Coast, it was reported that President Tinubu had approved the payment of outstanding funds owed by the Federal Government to the Super Eagles and other national sporting teams.

According to a statement on the X handle of Tinubu’s Media Centre, the payment covered 15 months of outstanding salaries owed to the senior national team’s coaches, as well as allowances and other payments due to the senior men’s, women’s and U-20 national teams.

“President @officialABAT has approved the payment of N12bn outstanding backlog for Nigeria’s National teams of various sports, which includes Super Eagles and others,” the statement read.

“The payment entails the clearing of the senior national team coaches’ salaries running up to 15 months, payments of allowances and promises due to the senior national teams, women’s teams, and U-20 national team.”

In November 2025, the Super Eagles boycotted training in Rabat, Morocco, ahead of a crucial 2026 World Cup play-offs against Gabon, citing outstanding allowances dating back to 2019 for achievements including reaching the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations and qualifying for the World Cup play-offs.

See also  Udo Obong - Why Nigeria owes no sportsman any favour

In April 2026, The PUNCH reported that some members of the 2023 and 2025 sets of Nigeria’s men’s U-20 team, the Flying Eagles, also lamented that the NFF owed them N1.5bn, covering qualification bonuses for participating in six major tournaments within the period, as well as pre-tournament camp allowances covering about 65 days.

The latest probe comes amid persistent public concerns over the administration of Nigerian football and the recent failure of the Super Falcons to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup, just as the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the 2026 World Cup, which was held in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

NFF president Ibrahim Gusau, who was elected at the federation’s elective congress in Benin City in September 2022, is seeking a second term in office at the planned September 27 elective congress amid growing criticism of his administration.

Although the NFF board has denied it, there are claims that the National Sports Commission has made a move to stop the elections and install a normalisation committee that will be in charge of Nigerian football.

The spokespersons for the ICPC and EFCC, John Odey and Dele Oyewale, could not be reached as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading

Trending