Connect with us

News

Natasha to serve out suspension as Senate enters recess

Published

on

Two days after Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan was barred from resuming her duties, the Nigerian Senate, on Thursday, adjourned plenary till September 23, 2025, for its annual recess.

With the recess now in effect, the embattled Kogi senator is expected to serve out the remainder of her suspension until plenary resumes.

Akpoti-Uduaghan was suspended on March 6, 2025, for six months, following allegations of misconduct and insubordination during plenary on February 20, 2025, when she rejected a change to her designated seat.

The Senate had warned it might revisit her suspension if she failed to issue a formal apology.

The penalty was based on recommendations by the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions, which found her guilty after investigating complaints against her.

The suspension was to last until September 6, 2025. However, with the recess, the embattled lawmaker would serve out her term.

Akpoti-Uduaghan, speaking to journalists on Tuesday after a failed attempt to enter the Senate chamber, described the Senate’s action as contemptuous and said she would seek legal redress at the appellate level.

“Even the suspension ab initio was fraudulent—the document was faulty,” she said.

“Going forward, I will have a meeting with my legal team so they can proceed to the appellate court to seek interpretation of what just happened. I am a law-abiding citizen.”

She also accused Senate President Akpabio of acting beyond his authority.

With the recess, however, the Senate would not reconvene until she had served out the full suspension slammed on her by the Red Chamber.

See also  Two killed in Lagos-Ibadan Expressway crash

Announcing the break on the floor, Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, said the decision was based on “chamber reciprocity,” noting that the House of Representatives had already proceeded on recess in line with the legislative calendar.

“We have started a new calendar that will take us to next year, June. And so it has fallen within this period for us to go on for a break to enable us to undertake major oversights,” Akpabio explained.

He clarified that although plenary sessions would be on hold, committee assignments should continue during the recess.

“All necessary committees—the diaspora committee, committee on reparation, committee on interior and others—this is the best time for you to undertake visits to prisons and all that.

“Do all your reports and make them available as soon as we come back,” he directed.

The Senate President urged lawmakers to embark on oversight visits across the country, stressing that their duties must not be neglected.

“You are moving from plenary for the next few weeks, but you are not stopping your legislative functions, because that’s what your people elected you to do. Members are expected to travel to Sokoto, everywhere, to observe the road repairs that are going on.

“By the time we resume, you are expected to bring your reports, committee by committee, for us to look into. I want to wish you safe travels and for all of us to return in good health,” he added.

Akpabio also informed members of the death of Prof Janet Plang, wife of Senator Diket Plang.

See also  Police debunk viral video linked to Oyo school abduction

He said arrangements had been made for senators to travel to Plateau State on Friday to attend the funeral, with a plane scheduled to depart Abuja at 8 am.

Senate Leader Opeyemi Bamidele commended senators for their dedication to legislative work.

“We thank all our colleagues for all they have done to ensure that the business of lawmaking on behalf of the government and people of Nigeria has progressed smoothly,” Bamidele said.

He thereafter moved a motion to defer all other matters on the order paper to the next legislative day, which the Senate adopted unanimously.

Natasha delayed at airport

In a separate development, the embattled senator was reportedly delayed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, last Thursday while trying to board a flight to the United Kingdom.

A family source said immigration officers claimed she had been placed on a watch list at the instance of the National Assembly leadership.

“She was told that the leadership of the National Assembly requested that she be considered a flight risk and placed on a watch list,” the source said.

“We are wondering why they treated her that way, given there is no court order restricting her movement and she has never missed any of her court appearances.”

Eyewitnesses confirmed that Akpoti-Uduaghan appeared distressed and made a series of phone calls before she was eventually allowed to board after her passport was stamped.

When contacted shortly before takeoff, the senator confirmed the incident, saying, “The aircraft is about to take off.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

 

See also  Lucky soul. He d!ed in Jihad - Sheikh Gumi reacts to Iran’s Supreme leader Khamenei’s d3ath

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Customs intercept N48.5m cannabis, seize N220m contraband in Kaduna

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Customs intercept N48.5m cannabis, seize N220m contraband in Kaduna
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Customs intercept N48.5m cannabis, seize N220m contraband in Kaduna

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending