Connect with us

Crime

Police warn illegal transport unions in Ogun, threaten sanctions

Published

on

The Ogun State Police Command has warned unapproved transport unions and individuals operating illegally within the state’s public transport sector to desist or face arrest and prosecution.

This followed reports of unauthorised groups allegedly causing unrest and clashing with officially recognised unions in various parts of the state.

In a statement issued on Friday, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Omolola Odutola, said the attention of the command was drawn to the disruptive activities of certain transport groups who, without approval, were collecting levies and fomenting trouble.

Citing a communiqué from the Ogun State Ministry of Transportation dated July 8, 2025, Odutola listed the only unions and bodies lawfully recognised to operate and collect revenue within the sector.

“1. Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) – Buses and taxis, 2. National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) – in collaboration with: , • Ogun Stations Operation Management Services (OSOMS), • Ogun State Park Management Services (OGSPAM), 3. Amalgamated Commercial Motorcycle Owners and Riders Association of Nigeria (ACOMORAN) – Okada, 4. Articulated Motorcycle and Riders Association of Nigeria (AMORAN), 5. Riders and Owners of Motorcycle Organisation (ROMO), 6. Riders and Owners of Tricycle Organisation (ROTO) – Keke Napep, 7. Tricycle Owners and Riders Association of Nigeria (TORAN), 8. Three Wheelers Operators and Riders Association (TWORA),” Odutola stated

She warned that any other group operating outside of these officially sanctioned unions would be treated as unlawful and a threat to public order.

She added, ”Such unauthorised activity will be met with immediate enforcement action, including arrest and prosecution.”

See also  Two men arraigned for assaulting man in Ondo

The command further urged any group or association seeking legal recognition to go through the appropriate registration channels with the Ogun State Government.

“The command remains committed to maintaining peace, safety and lawful conduct within the transportation sector.

“Any group or individual that engages in acts capable of breaching public order will be dealt with in accordance with the law,” Odutola added.

FOLLOW US ON:

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police impound five Air Peace vehicles over runway blockade

Published

on

The number of Air Peace vehicles impounded by the police for investigation following the recent Lagos airport runway blockade has increased from three to five.

The PUNCH reliably gathered that the vehicles, which are currently in police custody, are marked AJJ 589EX, KTU 440EZ, AAA 831F, KTU 85FH and EPE 656HF.

The development followed an incident in which some persons suspected to be staff members of Air Peace allegedly positioned the vehicles on the airside of the Lagos airport, disrupting the smooth movement of aircraft.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that three Air Peace buses were towed into police custody by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria after they were found parked in a manner capable of obstructing airport operations.

Although the police initially confirmed that three vehicles had been impounded, further findings by The PUNCH showed that the number had risen to five.

Speaking with The PUNCH, the spokesperson for the Airport Command of the Nigeria Police, Muhammed Adeola, confirmed that five Air Peace vehicles were now in police custody.

Adeola said that, as part of the investigation, the police had contacted Air Peace and asked the airline to produce the drivers who took the vehicles to the sensitive area of the airport.

He said the airline, however, claimed that some impostors might have been responsible for the alleged unruly conduct involving the vehicles and promised to conduct an internal investigation to identify those responsible.

As of the time of filing this report, Adeola said Air Peace had yet to provide the police with the outcome of its investigation. He added that the vehicles would remain in police custody until the airline produced the drivers who operated them.

See also  Police report reveals Bandits launch over 50 attacks in one week; read details

He said, “Yes, you are correct, there are five in our compound. When we started our investigation, we met with Air Peace and expected them to provide us with the drivers. But they told us that they believed some saboteurs must have driven their vehicles and all of that.

“They then promised to conduct an internal investigation and provide us with whoever they found to have driven the buses. Until then, the vehicles will be in our possession, since we must know those who attempted to disrupt the smooth running of airport operations.”

The incident occurred amid an industrial action by aviation unions over Air Peace’s alleged refusal to remit the five per cent Ticket Sales Charge to the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, as required by law.

The action, which grounded Air Peace’s operations at the Lagos and Abuja airports, disrupted travel plans and left passengers scrambling for alternative means of transportation. The unions had targeted Air Peace over claims that the airline was the largest debtor of funds due to the NCAA.

Prior to the action, the unions had issued three stages of warnings, threatening to picket airlines that allegedly failed to remit the five per cent TSC to the NCAA. The unions also alleged that some domestic airlines had made it difficult for employees to freely join trade unions, claiming that workers were afraid to express interest in union membership for fear of discrimination or victimisation.

The unions, however, described the industrial action as a measure of restraint, saying they had given the affected airlines several weeks to resolve the issues.

See also  202 arrested in Delta black spots raid

Efforts to get a reaction from the airline were unsuccessful, as the airline’s spokesman, Efe Osifo-Whiskey, did not respond to questions on the matter.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

UN, NSCDC move against terror funding, Illegal mining

Published

on

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime has called for deeper collaboration with Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals as concerns mount over the growing links between illegal mining, organised crime and terrorism across Nigeria, West Africa and the Sahel.

The call was made during a strategic visit by a UNODC delegation to the Mining Marshals Corps, where the international body commended the specialised unit for its expanding role in tackling illegal mining and related criminal activities.

The Commander of the Mining Marshals, Assistant Commandant of Corps, John Attah, disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja on Monday.

The UNODC delegation was led by the Chief of the Africa Section of the Terrorism Prevention Branch, Tullio Santini, who praised the Mining Marshals for their enforcement efforts.

“The rising number of arrests and prosecutions is evidence of Nigeria’s commitment to tackling the illicit trade,” he stated.

The visit was part of a broader UNODC mission to strengthen partnerships in Nigeria, engage development partners and review ongoing field operations.

A major focus of the meeting was the introduction of the UNODC Coordination through Operational Networks against the Crime-Terrorism Nexus initiative by a law enforcement expert from the Swedish Police, Robert Haslinger.

The CONNECT Initiative is designed to strengthen cooperation among governments and law enforcement agencies in disrupting the financial and operational links between organised criminal networks and terrorist groups.

Nigeria is among the countries invited to participate in the initiative, which is scheduled for launch in November 2026.

See also  Police report reveals Bandits launch over 50 attacks in one week; read details

Responding, Attah, who represented the NSCDC Commandant-General, Prof Ahmed Audi, welcomed the UNODC delegation and described the organisation as a critical partner in strengthening the operational capabilities of the Mining Marshals.

He said, “The previous UNODC-supported training programmes had significantly improved collaboration between the Mining Marshals and the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, enhancing the ability of both institutions to coordinate investigations and intelligence-led operations against illegal mining syndicates.

“The Mining Marshals occupy a unique position within Nigeria’s security architecture, reporting to the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Solid Minerals Development, and the NSCDC.

“While their primary mandate remains the suppression of illegal mining activities, the officers, drawn from the NSCDC, also support broader national security operations when required.

“We also use this opportunity to advocate for the formal inclusion of the Mining Marshals in the CONNECT Initiative because disrupting the financial foundations of terrorist organisations requires greater attention to the illegal exploitation of mineral resources.”

Attah said the growing nexus between illegal mining and terrorism had become increasingly relevant to Nigeria’s national security calculations.

He added that the development partly explained the Federal Government’s ongoing reforms in the mining sector, with the Mining Marshals emerging as a key enforcement instrument in the fight against illegal exploitation of the country’s mineral resources.

The Marshals commander also called for expanded capacity-building programmes covering terrorism-related concepts, regional intelligence cooperation and peer-learning opportunities to enhance the unit’s ability to tackle evolving threats associated with illicit mining.

Illegal mining has increasingly attracted security concerns in Nigeria, with authorities warning that proceeds from illicit exploitation of mineral resources can fuel organised criminal activities and insecurity.

See also  Teengers arested for kidnapping three minors in Kaduna and demanding N50m ransom from their father

The UNODC officials commended the institutional structure of the Mining Marshals, describing it as a notable model within Nigeria’s law-enforcement ecosystem.

They noted that the unit had an unusually broad operational mandate, allowing it to handle illegal mining cases from intelligence gathering and prevention to arrest, investigation and prosecution.

The officials also highlighted the unit’s use of non-kinetic measures, including stakeholder engagement and community outreach, in addressing illegal mining.

The meeting ended with an exchange of publications, a commemorative photograph session and renewed commitments to strengthen collaboration against the growing convergence of resource-related crime and terrorism in Nigeria and the wider region.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community, Army GOC visits

Published

on

At least 28 people, including the Chief Imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, were reportedly killed when bandits attacked Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State on Sunday evening.

The attack came amid renewed security concerns in Kebbe, where communities have recently faced threats from armed groups allegedly linked to the Lakurawa terrorist organisation.

Confirming the incident, the spokesman of the command, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said it was difficult to ascertain the actual number of victims.

He, however, said no fewer than 28 corpses were recovered in the aftermath of the incident.

Residents said the attackers invaded Ungushi in the evening and opened fire on residents, killing 22 people, mostly civilians.

The killing of Imam Aliyu, a respected religious leader in the community, has particularly shocked residents, who said the victims included farmers, traders, religious leaders and other members of the community.

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said, “These are ordinary people. They are farmers, traders, religious leaders and family members. They have done nothing to deserve this.”

Another source said the attack had heightened fear among residents, with some families fleeing their homes following reports of fresh displacement from neighbouring communities.

“People are no longer sleeping peacefully. Families are leaving their homes because they fear another attack. We need urgent intervention before more communities are deserted,” the source said.

The latest killings followed reports on Friday that a large number of armed men on motorcycles had entered parts of Kebbe LGA, allegedly attacking residents, looting shops and damaging property.

The Sokoto State Police Command confirmed that an incident occurred in the area but said it was still gathering information before issuing a detailed statement.

See also  Police report reveals Bandits launch over 50 attacks in one week; read details

Amid the renewed threats, the General Officer Commanding, 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Maj Gen Bemgba Koughna, visited the Forward Operating Base, Kebbe, on Sunday, to assess the security situation and reassure residents of the readiness of troops to confront the threats.

Koughna also met community leaders and residents, listened to their concerns and reviewed the security situation in the area.

He said the Nigerian Army had adjusted its security architecture to prevent further infiltration by terrorists and protect vulnerable communities.

“Troops remain fully deployed, highly alert and operationally focused on protecting lives and property,” the GOC said.

He added that measures had been put in place to ensure emerging threats were quickly identified and contained before they escalated.

“The Nigerian Army remains unwavering in its determination to respond swiftly and decisively to any emerging threats,” Koughna said.

The Army chief assured residents that terrorist elements would not be allowed to establish safe havens in Kebbe and its surrounding communities.

“We will continue to maintain a robust presence in this area and ensure that our troops remain ready to respond to any threat to the peace and security of the people,” he said.

Koughna urged residents not to panic and appealed for stronger collaboration between the military and communities, particularly through timely sharing of credible intelligence.

“Community support remains a critical component in detecting, disrupting and dismantling terrorist networks before they can launch attacks,” he said.

He urged community leaders and residents to report suspicious movements, unfamiliar persons and other activities that could pose security threats.

The GOC reiterated the commitment of troops to protecting lives, property and critical infrastructure in Kebbe and other vulnerable communities within the operational area.

“We will not allow criminal elements to intimidate our people or disrupt their livelihoods. Our troops are prepared and will continue to operate with determination and professionalism,” he said.

See also  Teengers arested for kidnapping three minors in Kaduna and demanding N50m ransom from their father

Residents, however, called for sustained military presence and intelligence-led operations to prevent further attacks and restore confidence in the affected communities.

A community leader said continued attacks were disrupting social and economic activities in the area.

“People cannot farm, children are afraid to go to school, and families are abandoning their homes. If nothing is done urgently, we may witness the complete displacement of these communities,” he said.

The Army’s operational assessment formed part of ongoing efforts to strengthen security around Kebbe and other vulnerable communities following recent incidents in the area.

The visit was disclosed in a statement issued on Sunday by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Nigerian Army and Sector 2, Operation Fansan Yamma, Lt Col Olaniyi Osoba.

Killings must stop – Atiku

The former Vice-President and presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, Atiku Abubakar, has urged the Federal Government to move beyond condolence messages and take decisive action to prevent further killings.

In a statement on Monday on his verified X account, he described the victims as innocent Nigerians whose deaths had further highlighted the worsening insecurity across the country.

“I am devastated by the killing of 32 innocent Nigerians in Ungushi community, Kebbe LGA of Sokoto State,” he said.

He expressed sympathy with the bereaved families and residents of Sokoto State, praying for the repose of the deceased and strength for their loved ones.

“My heart goes out to the bereaved families and the people of Sokoto State. May Allah forgive the departed and give their loved ones the strength to endure this unbearable loss,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: Court sentences Akwa Ibom pastor to 49 years imprisonment for r@ping and impregnating his teenage daughter

The former Vice President, however, said condolences from government officials were no longer sufficient in the face of recurring attacks and killings across the country.

“But condolences are no longer enough. How many more Nigerians must be slaughtered before this government treats the protection of human life as an emergency?” he asked.

Atiku said the frequency of such attacks was alarming, warning that the government must not become comfortable with issuing statements after every massacre without taking effective measures to protect citizens.

“These killings have become frighteningly recurrent, and a government that cannot protect its citizens must not become comfortable issuing statements after every massacre,” he said.

He called on the Federal Government to strengthen intelligence gathering, secure vulnerable communities and ensure that those responsible for the killings were arrested and prosecuted.

“The Federal Government must move from condolences to action: strengthen intelligence, secure vulnerable communities and bring the perpetrators to justice,” Atiku said.

He stressed that the primary responsibility of the government was to protect the lives and property of citizens, adding that Nigerians should not continue to bury their loved ones while those entrusted with their security offered excuses.

“The first duty of government is to protect life. Nigerians cannot continue to bury their loved ones while those entrusted with their security offer excuses,” he said.

Atiku prayed for peace in Sokoto State and across the country, urging the government to take urgent measures to prevent further loss of lives.

“May Allah comfort Sokoto and restore peace to our nation,” he added.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending