Connect with us

Sports

Nathaniel hopes to inspire young Nigerians after feat

Published

on

Nigeria’s 400m hurdles sensation Ezekiel Nathaniel hopes his national record-breaking performance at the World Athletics Championships in Tokyo will inspire young Nigerian athletes, despite narrowly missing out on a medal after finishing fourth.

The 22-year-old ran a scorching 47.11 seconds in Friday’s final, smashing his previous national record of 47.31 seconds set earlier this year and becoming only the second Nigerian since Henry Amike in 1987 to reach the 400m hurdles final at the World Championships.

“I hope this performance will inspire young Nigerian athletes,” Nathaniel said after the dramatic final.

“This is a great opportunity to learn from the world’s best athletes.”

The race saw American Rai Benjamin storm to victory in 46.52 seconds to finally clinch his first world championship gold medal after two silvers and a bronze, but not without drama.

Benjamin was initially disqualified for crashing into the final hurdle and affecting other athletes, briefly elevating Nathaniel to bronze position. However, the American’s appeal was quickly upheld and he was restored to the top of the timesheet.

Brazil’s Alison Dos Santos claimed silver in 46.84 seconds, while Qatar’s Abderrahman Samba took bronze in 47.06 seconds, leaving Nathaniel agonisingly close to Nigeria’s second medal of the championships.

Despite the near-miss, Nathaniel remained philosophical about the disqualification reversal.

“It’s a fair call,” the Nigerian said.

“He put in a lot of work to get that medal and if they are trying to rip off from that, I don’t think that’s fair. He didn’t deliberately knock over the hurdle, that could happen to anyone.”

See also  Scientists warn FIFA over extreme heat risks ahead of 2026 World Cup

The former 800m runner, who competes for Baylor University in Texas, expressed satisfaction with his performance and hinted at greater things to come saying, “I still have a lot of potential. I am pleased because I did my best and I ran a personal record. I have it in me and just need to wait for the right time. For now, I am enjoying the process.”

Nathaniel’s rapid rise in the event has been remarkable. Born in 2003, he broke a decades-old Nigerian record set by Henry Amike when he ran 48.42 seconds at the Big 12 Conference meet in 2022 as a freshman.

His progress accelerated dramatically this year. In June, he won the NCAA Outdoor Championships title in Eugene, Oregon, clocking 47.49 seconds – the third fastest time in NCAA history. He also became the first man in NCAA history to run a sub-48-second time in the 400m hurdles semifinal, recording 47.86 seconds.

The Tokyo performance adds another chapter to what has been an exceptional year for the young hurdler, who has now established himself among the world’s elite quarter-mile hurdlers.

While Nathaniel’s fourth-place finish matches Amike’s result from the 1987 World Championships in Rome, his national record performance signals a bright future for Nigerian athletics in the event.

Nigeria’s campaign in Tokyo concluded with Tobi Amusan as the country’s only medallist, though this still represented an improvement over the Budapest World Championships where Team Nigeria ended empty-handed.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

PICTURES: Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has returned to Al Nassr training in Riyadh sporting a striking copper-yellow hairstyle, days after marrying longtime partner Georgina Rodríguez in a private ceremony in Portugal following Portugal’s exit from the 2026 World Cup.

The Portuguese forward posted photos of himself in the club’s training kit on his social media accounts on Thursday, captioning the images simply “Back 🟡🔵”. The pictures showed the 41-year-old with a new copper-yellow hair, a clear departure from the dark brown style he had worn for years, including during Portugal’s World Cup campaign.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo rejoined the squad after Portugal’s exit from the 2026 FIFA World Cup, where the team was eliminated by Spain in the Round of 16. He was granted additional time off by Al Nassr following the tournament and his private civil wedding to Rodríguez on August 11 in Cascais, Portugal.

The intimate ceremony was attended by their five children. The couple, who have been together for nearly a decade, confirmed the marriage with a photograph of their wedding rings.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Last season, Ronaldo helped Al Nassr end a long wait for domestic glory by winning the Saudi Pro League title. He scored 28 league goals as the club finished top with 86 points, two clear of rivals Al Hilal winning his first major trophy with the Riyadh side since joining in late 2022 and Al Nassr’s first league crown since 2019.

 

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Al Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou and teammates welcomed the captain back with applause during a team session, acknowledging both his return and recent marriage, AS the club also posted images of his arrival, teasing fans with the caption asking who had shown up at the training ground.

See also  Chukwueze on Fulham radar

Ronaldo now prepares for the new Saudi Pro League season as a married man with Al Nassr preparing to open their title defence against Al Fateh on August 15.

Fans reacted strongly to the post and the fresh look. #SumolaIdowu wrote “Started off a single man, now a married man. Congratulations Cristiano! May your new home last your lifetime.” While #Symplyher14 said “Welcome back to the pitch my GOAT!”

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

#SundayOb posted “Welcome back to the team, time to perform and complete the 1000 goals target.” As #CAgbawe simply noted “That hair Wow!”, #underthetre_e declared “This is absolute GOLD ”.While #D_PenGame added “the GOAT is backkkkk congratulations on your wedding sir.”

The new season marks another chapter for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner as he continues chasing career milestones with Al Nassr.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Four UEFA Super Cup finals played, lost by Unai Emery

Published

on

Unai Emery’s dominance of the UEFA Europa League has been accompanied by an equally striking struggle in the UEFA Super Cup, with his latest defeat against Paris Saint-Germain extending a perfect losing record in the competition.

Emery’s Aston Villa were beaten 2-1 by PSG in Salzburg on Wednesday, despite Brian Madjo’s historic equaliser, leaving the Spanish manager with four defeats from four UEFA Super Cup appearances.

The latest setback came just months after Emery guided Villa to their first major European trophy since 1982, beating Freiburg 3-0 in the Europa League final to claim a record-extending fifth Europa League title.

UEFA describes Emery as the competition’s most successful manager, having won it three times with Sevilla, once with Villarreal and now with Villa.

Yet the Super Cup has repeatedly proved to be his stumbling block.

His first appearance came in 2014, when Sevilla were beaten 2-0 by Real Madrid.

A year later, Sevilla suffered another defeat, losing 5-4 to Barcelona after extra time in one of the competition’s most memorable finals.

UEFA’s official records confirm both results.

Emery returned to the competition in 2021 with Villarreal after winning the Europa League. His side drew 1-1 with Chelsea after extra time before losing 6-5 on penalties.

Five years later, his fourth opportunity ended in another defeat.

PSG took the lead before Villa teenager Madjo levelled shortly before half-time, becoming the youngest scorer in Super Cup history.

Désiré Doué then restored PSG’s lead after the break to secure another European trophy for the French club.

See also  Nathaniel books 400m hurdles semifinal spot at World Championships

The contrast with Emery’s Europa League record could hardly be sharper.

His five triumphs came in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2021 and 2026, while he has also reached six finals in the competition.

For Villa, however, the defeat does not erase what Emery has achieved. His Europa League success against Freiburg ended the club’s 30-year wait for silverware and restored its status as a major force in European football.

But for Emery personally, the Super Cup remains the one European trophy occasion that continues to elude him — four appearances, four defeats.

FULL LIST: Emery’s four Super Cup defeats

2014: Real Madrid 2-0 Sevilla

2015: Barcelona 5-4 Sevilla (after extra time)

2021: Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal (Chelsea won 6-5 on penalties)

2026: PSG 2-1 Aston Villa

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

La Liga: Barcelona prepare third bid for Rodri

Published

on

Barcelona are set to return with a third proposal for Manchester City midfielder Rodri as negotiations between the two clubs continue.

The Catalan giants have already seen offers worth €50 million and €60 million rejected, but they remain confident of reaching an agreement for the Spain international.

In a post on X on Friday, Fabrizio Romano wrote, “Barcelona are returning with a third proposal for Rodri to Manchester City.”

After €50m and €60m packages both rejected, direct club-to-club talks to continue halfway between €60m last bid and €80m fee requested.

Barça remain confident and optimistic.”

Direct talks between Barcelona and Manchester City are expected to continue, with the next proposal likely to fall somewhere between Barcelona’s latest €60 million offer and City’s reported €80 million asking price.

Barcelona remain optimistic about their chances of completing the deal and are prepared to push forward with negotiations rather than walk away.

The coming days could prove decisive, with both clubs continuing discussions in an effort to find a compromise over Rodri’s valuation.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  CAF Opens Bidding For 2028, 2032, 2036 AFCON Tournaments
Continue Reading

Trending