Connect with us

News

Hajj: S’Arabia slashes Nigeria’s camp slots to 67,000

Published

on

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria has raised the alarm over a drastic reduction in camp slots for Nigerian pilgrims by Saudi authorities ahead of the 2026 Hajj exercise, warning that the cut could significantly limit participation next year.

The commission disclosed in a statement on Thursday titled “NAHCON, States Discuss Hajj Costing and Other Critical Issues; Ministry Briefs NAHCON on Tour Operators.”

The statement, signed by NAHCON Deputy Director of Information and Public Relations, Fatima Usara, noted that only 66,910 accommodation slots had been approved on Saudi Arabia’s NUSUK Masar portal, despite Nigeria’s official allocation of 95,000.

According to NAHCON, “the Mashair space reserved for Nigeria’s pilgrims on the NUSUK Masar portal is actually 66,910 slots for the 2026 Hajj. The implication of this is that while 95,000 slots were allocated to Nigeria, the actual number that can participate in the 2026 Hajj is 51,513 for States and all other officials, while 15,397 will go to licensed tour operators.”

The reduction, the commission explained, was imposed as a penalty by Saudi authorities following Nigeria’s underutilisation of its quota during the 2025 pilgrimage.

In February 2025, NAHCON announced that it secured 52,544 slots for state pilgrims, but only 41,218 were airlifted under the government quota. Another 18,000 pilgrims travelled through private tour operators, bringing the total number of participants to 59,128 — leaving 35,872 unutilised slots from the 95,000 made available by Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah.

During a meeting between NAHCON and officials of State Pilgrims Welfare Boards on Thursday, the Commissioner of Operations, Prince Anofiu Elegushi, said that allocations for 2026 would be reviewed based on each state’s performance during the previous exercise.

See also  PHOTOS: Security operatives rescue kidnapped school principal, NECO official and two students in Kogi

“Earlier allocations will be reversed based on each state’s utilisation during the 2025 Hajj,” Elegushi warned, adding that states that failed to fill their quotas last year would be affected most by the new adjustment.

The Commission also revealed that it held a virtual meeting with officials of the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, during which it was directed to allocate a minimum of 2,000 slots to each group of tour operators and ensure their registration on the NUSUK platform.

In his remarks, NAHCON Chairman, Professor Abdullahi Usman, urged all stakeholders to work collaboratively to avert a crisis in the buildup to the 2026 pilgrimage.

“Unity in this assignment is crucial if Hajj 2026 must succeed,” Usman said, while appealing to state executive secretaries to take medical screening seriously, due to the importance Saudi Arabia attaches to it.”

Addressing concerns over the rising cost of Hajj caused by foreign exchange volatility, Usman disclosed that efforts were ongoing to negotiate reductions in certain cost components, including cargo handling charges, to ease the financial burden on intending pilgrims.

However, he cautioned that service providers’ rates “will not be arbitrarily reduced,” as such action could compromise the quality of services offered to pilgrims.

A board member representing the Central Bank of Nigeria at NAHCON, Dr Adetona Adedeji, also pledged to engage the CBN on reducing the 2% charge currently imposed on pilgrims’ transactions.

The meeting further resolved that funds should be remitted to the CBN regularly as they are received from the states to benefit from favourable exchange rates.

See also  Trump orders US withdrawal from 66 international organisations

NAHCON reminded state officials of the December 21 deadline for remittances, urging them to set earlier internal deadlines to ensure full payments before the cutoff date. It also announced plans for a nationwide sensitisation campaign to highlight the urgency of meeting the deadline.

The Commission confirmed that the 2026 Hajj would adopt international aviation luggage standards, allowing each pilgrim two 23kg checked-in bags and one hand luggage.

It further reiterated Saudi Arabia’s strict medical regulations, warning that individuals suffering from organ failure, neurological or psychiatric disorders, dementia, pregnancy, active cancer under chemotherapy, tuberculosis, or other communicable diseases would not be granted entry into the Kingdom.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Three bodies recovered, five rescued as bus plunges into Oyo river

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  FHC demands blogger’s arrest over false assassination report on judge
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  PHOTOS: Security operatives rescue kidnapped school principal, NECO official and two students in Kogi

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending