Connect with us

News

FG rejects Trump’s ‘country of particular concern’ tag on Nigeria

Published

on

The Federal Government has rejected remarks by United States President Donald Trump alleging widespread killings of Christians in the country and declaring Nigeria a “Country of Particular Concern.”

In a statement issued on Saturday morning by the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, the government said the claims do not reflect the situation on the ground.

“The Federal Government of Nigeria notes the recent remarks by US President Donald Trump alleging large-scale killings of Christians in Nigeria and calling for the country’s designation as a ‘Country of Particular Concern.’

“These claims do not reflect the situation on the ground. Nigerians of all faiths have long lived, worked, and worshipped together peacefully,” the ministry said.

The government noted that while it “appreciates global concern for human rights and religious freedom,” the allegations were inaccurate.

Under the leadership of President Bola Tinubu, the statement continued, Nigeria “remains committed to fighting terrorism, strengthening interfaith harmony, and protecting the lives and rights of all its people.”

The ministry emphasised that Nigeria would “continue to engage constructively with the Government of the United States to deepen mutual understanding of regional dynamics and the country’s ongoing peace and security efforts.”

On Friday night, Trump announced in a Truth Social post later shared on the White House’s X handle that he had designated Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern,” citing what he described as an existential threat to Christianity in the country.

“Christianity is facing an existential threat in Nigeria. Thousands of Christians are being killed. Radical Islamists are responsible for this mass slaughter.

See also  FG prioritises infrastructure in N87.31bn aviation budget

“I am hereby making Nigeria a ‘Country of particular concern’ — But that is the least of it,” Trump said.

Citing alarming figures, the US president added, “When Christians, or any such group, is slaughtered like is happening in Nigeria (3,100 versus 4,476 Worldwide), something must be done!”

Trump called on key members of Congress to take immediate action.

“I am asking Congressman Riley Moore, together with Chairman Tom Cole and the House Appropriations Committee, to immediately look into this matter, and report back to me,” he said.

“The United States cannot stand by while such atrocities are happening in Nigeria, and numerous other countries.

“We stand ready, willing, and able to save our Great Christian population around the world!,” Trump added.

Last month, US lawmaker Riley Moore urged Secretary of State Marco Rubio to take diplomatic action against what he described as the “systematic persecution and slaughter of Christians” in Nigeria, calling the country “the deadliest place in the world to be a Christian.”

Moore also called for the suspension of arms sales to Nigeria until the government demonstrates a tangible commitment to ending the violence.

“Nigeria has become the deadliest place in the world to be a Christian, and the United States cannot stand idly by,” he wrote.

Meanwhile, Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, speaking to CNN earlier in the week, rejected claims that Nigerian terrorists specifically target Christians.

“Some of the claims made by some officials of the United States are based on faulty data and some assumptions that the victims of this violence are largely Christians.

See also  Again, fire guts another Kano market

“Yes, there are Christians being attacked, but these criminals do not just target one religion. They target Christians. They also target Muslims. We have seen that especially in the northern part of the country,” the minister noted.

In a related development, the European Parliament’s Committee on Foreign Affairs, during a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday, called for stronger protection of vulnerable communities and greater accountability in addressing violence across the country.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigerians have constitutional right to self-defence from insecurity — Bwala

Published

on

The Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Policy Communication, Daniel Bwala, says Nigerians are constitutionally empowered to self-defence themselves against attackers, including in situations involving lethal threats, while maintaining that the government is working to address insecurity across the country.

Bwala stated this during an interview on Arise Television on Wednesday.

He was reacting to recent violent incidents in the country, including the killings in Esiele community in Orire Local Government Area of Oyo State and the abduction of teachers and pupils of LA Primary School.

The presidential aide said the Nigerian Constitution guarantees citizens the right to self-defence.

“The constitution has guaranteed to every citizen of Nigeria the right to self-defence; you have the right to defend yourself,” he said.

“When your right, my right, and that of my neighbour is put together, it becomes collective rights to defend ourselves and Nigerians have the right to defend themselves.

“If you come to my house to try to kill me, any lethal weapon I use to defend myself is guaranteed by the Constitution,” he added.

Bwala, however, noted that firearm possession remains regulated by law.

He said, “Nigerians don’t have the right to bear certain arms unless those arms are permitted but the collective people can come together to apply to the government for the right to coordinate themselves.”

Explaining the government’s position on insecurity, Bwala said criminality is a global challenge but insisted that collective action is necessary to address it.

“Solution is what we all look to; evil men operate anywhere in the world, no matter how tight you are as a government.

See also  Segun Showunmi urges stricter regulations for broadcast media

“You do your best and expect that with the help of God and collective participation of the people through collective intelligence, we will be able to put an end to it,” he said.

On public reactions to recurring attacks, he said citizens will continue to express frustration.

“I know the Nigerian people will continue to complain. For example, no matter how we say that we are sorry and the incident happens again, people will complain, cry and mourn because it’s the lives of the Nigerian people that are taken away by the evil element. We will put an end to this as a people,” he said.

Bwala also linked rising insecurity to election cycles and societal pressures.

“Every eve of elections in Nigeria from 2014, 2018, 2022, and now 2026, you will see that crisis increases because of the idea of a crisis economy. A lot of people take advantage of that but the will and spirit of the collective people is what will put an end to this situation,” he said.

He further noted the role of local vigilance groups and security collaboration.

“As a people, we have vigilantes, and in Borno State, we have paramilitary organisations that provide intelligence to law enforcement,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Pan-African initiative targets safer, inclusive AI systems

Published

on

African policymakers, technology experts and civil society leaders have launched a continent-wide initiative aimed at strengthening ethical oversight of artificial intelligence (Ai) as governments and businesses accelerate the adoption of emerging technologies across critical sectors of the economy.

The Policy Innovation Centre, in partnership with the Africa Hub for Innovation & Development and with support from Luminate, has unveiled the Pan-African AI Ethics and Governance Fellowship, a programme designed to build institutional capacity for safer, more inclusive and accountable AI systems across Africa.

The initiative comes as artificial intelligence technologies gain traction in healthcare, agriculture, education, financial services and public administration across the continent, raising both optimism about economic transformation and concerns over governance, accountability and social harm.

Organisers said the fellowship seeks to address widening fears around algorithmic bias, misuse of personal data, weak regulatory oversight and the risk of excluding vulnerable communities from the benefits of AI-driven innovation.

The 12-week virtual fellowship will convene more than 50 mid- to senior-level professionals drawn from government agencies, regulatory institutions, academia, civil society organisations, the media and private sector companies across Africa. Participants will undergo expert-led training sessions, mentorship programmes and policy labs focused on developing practical governance tools tailored to African realities.

The Executive Director of the Policy Innovation Centre, Dr Osasuyi Dirisu, said the programme was created to ensure Africa plays a more active role in shaping how AI systems are governed and deployed rather than merely adapting external regulatory models developed elsewhere.

“This Fellowship is designed to move beyond conversations on AI and focus on building practical governance capacity across African institutions,” Dirisu said during the launch event. “We are raising the next generation of African leaders who will sit at the intersection of AI system development in Africa and ensure that these systems are inclusive, ethical, and serve the public good.”

See also  Segun Showunmi urges stricter regulations for broadcast media

The fellowship reflects a broader shift among African governments and institutions seeking to balance rapid technological adoption with safeguards capable of protecting citizens from unintended consequences associated with AI systems.

Across the continent, policymakers are increasingly grappling with questions around automated decision-making, surveillance technologies, misinformation, data ownership and labour displacement as global competition around AI intensifies.

While several African countries have announced national AI strategies or digital transformation frameworks in recent years, implementation remains fragmented and regulatory capacity uneven. Experts warn that without stronger governance institutions; African economies could become vulnerable to exploitative technology practices and excessive dependence on foreign AI systems.

The Chief Executive Officer of the Africa Hub for Innovation & Development, Dr Kunle Kakanfo, said the fellowship was also intended to foster collaboration among African professionals working on similar governance challenges across different jurisdictions.

“The fellowship for us is not just about leadership development in AI ethics and governance; it’s also about making significant connections, cross-country networks, and being able to cross-breed experience,” Kakanfo said. “This fellowship would be a catalytic platform that is able to help us drive the needed change that we need within AI ethics and governance on the continent.”

The launch further reinforces Nigeria’s growing role in the continent’s technology policy ecosystem as the country seeks to position itself as a regional hub for digital innovation and AI governance discussions.

Speaking at the event, National Director of the National Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Dr Olubunmi Ajala, described the programme as part of Africa’s strategic response to one of the most transformative technological shifts of modern times.

See also  FG prioritises infrastructure in N87.31bn aviation budget

“This is a deliberate, organised, and urgent response of Africa to one of the most consequential technological revolutions in human history,” Ajala said. “If we don’t do what we need to do in terms of governance and ethics, the problems will go beyond technology failures, and some of the damages could be colossal.”

His remarks echo growing international debate over the societal risks posed by generative AI systems and advanced machine learning technologies, particularly around transparency, accountability and concentration of power among a small number of global technology firms.

Participants in the fellowship said they viewed the initiative as an opportunity to bridge the widening gap between innovation and regulation across Africa’s rapidly evolving digital economy.

Head of Product at Auto Check Africa, Ayobola Adedayo, said she hoped the programme will deepen her understanding of AI governance and help shape more responsible adoption of emerging technologies across Nigeria and the wider continent.

A Kenyan technology journalist participating in the fellowship, Carol Odero, said discussions around AI governance were becoming increasingly urgent as innovators and policymakers debate how much regulation emerging technologies require.

“I have spent a lot of time with innovators who think that AI should be left to run wild, that it is not something to govern because it is still so new,” Odero said. “But I would like to show them that there is a different path, and I’m hoping to get that out of the fellowship.”

Organisers said the programme will contribute to building a long-term network of African AI governance practitioners capable of influencing policy reforms, strengthening institutional oversight and promoting more equitable AI systems across the continent.

See also  Ogun state government seals former Governor Gbenga Daniel’s residence and hotel

The initiative also reflects growing recognition among African institutions that governance frameworks will play a critical role in determining whether AI technologies deepen existing inequalities or become tools for inclusive development.

The Policy Innovation Centre, an initiative of the Nigeria Economic Summit Group, said the fellowship aligns with its broader mission of supporting evidence-based policymaking and behavioural innovation across Africa’s public and private sectors.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Borno gov vows safe return of 48 abducted school children

Published

on

The Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, has assured residents of Mussa community in Askira Uba Local Government Area, where terrorists abducted 48 school children, that all efforts were being intensified to secure the safe release of the victims.

The governor gave the assurance on Tuesday during a visit to Uba town to sympathise with parents of schoolchildren.

Addressing the gathering, the governor conveyed his heartfelt sympathy to the Emir, the parents of the abducted children, and the entire people of the Uba Emirate over the unfortunate incident.

“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children, and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” Zulum said.

“Let me assure you that the Federal Government under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces, and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” he assured.

The governor commended the military and other security agencies for taking proactive measures to prevent further deterioration of the security situation in the area.

He disclosed that the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer, Divisional Police Officer, and other heads of security establishments had already been deployed to strengthen security and facilitate the safe return of the abducted children.

Governor Zulum also pledged to fortify security in Askira, Uba, and adjoining communities to prevent a recurrence of similar incidents.

“We have made frantic efforts to stabilise Askira, Uba, and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he said.

See also  FG gets $25.35m Kuwait loan to tackle Kaduna out-of-school crisis

The governor appealed to the abductors to release the innocent children, noting that they were minors who required the care and protection of their parents.

He further called on residents of the Uba Emirate and the entire people of Borno State to intensify prayers, especially during the first 10 days of the holy month of Dhul Hijjah.

Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II revealed that the incident occurred on Friday, 15 May, when 48 persons were abducted in Mussa community, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students, and five other residents.

The monarch commended Governor Zulum for his unwavering commitment to addressing insecurity, uniting the people of the state, and supporting the emirate.

Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr. Chinapi Amanja, appreciated the governor’s visit and acknowledged the deployment of senior military officers and other security personnel to the area.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending