Connect with us

News

FCT doctors’ strike continues despite partial payment of arrears

Published

on

The Association of Resident Doctors in the Federal Capital Territory Administration (ARD-FCTA) on Wednesday confirmed the partial payment of salary arrears and the Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF) by the FCT Administration. Still, it maintained that its indefinite strike would continue until all outstanding demands are met.

In a statement signed by its President, Dr. George Ebong, the association said the payments mark the beginning of the implementation of its demands, though several doctors were still left out of the recent disbursements.

The statement noted that 28 doctors who had been owed salary arrears for periods ranging from one month to one year were paid two nights ago.

The association, however, explained that the Medical Residency Training Fund payment was not made to all affected doctors, leaving 47 others still awaiting their entitlements.

It added that salaries for October were also paid on Tuesday.

The ARD-FCTA is an association of doctors practising in the 14 district and general hospitals, including the Department of Public Health under the FCTA.

The ARD-FCTA began its strike on Saturday following the announcement by its national body, the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, to commence an indefinite and total strike on the same date.

The doctors embarked on the industrial action to press home their demands for better working conditions, improved welfare, fair remuneration, and others.

Giving details of the government’s response to their demands, the doctors said, “Two nights ago, the 28 doctors who had been owed their salary arrears for more than two years, ranging from one month to six months to one year, were paid.

See also  Board warns Nigerians against fake paramilitary recruitment messages

“Also, the MRTF of some doctors was also paid. Out of 150 doctors owed the MRTF, only 103 were paid; there is a remainder of 47 doctors not yet paid. Salaries were also paid yesterday (Tuesday), starting from the morning.”

While the association expressed gratitude to the Minister of the FCT, Nyesom Wike, for what it described as the beginning of the implementation of demands, it insisted that the indefinite strike would continue until all outstanding issues are resolved.

“Our demands are not exclusive of the immediate payment of the rest 47 doctors of their MRTF as time is running out for their trainings and exams; the immediate payment of the external resident doctors owed six to seven months since they got employed as some have resigned and left due to lack of funds to commute themselves to work; the skipping of arrears that have lingered for years, the promotion arrears that have left lingered for years.

“The Post-Part 2 conversion arrears that have lingered for years; the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure 25-35 per cent adjustment that the Federal Institutions have implemented since; wage award; hazard allowance arrears of 13 months since 2021; the immediate employment; and favourable working conditions, among others.

“These demands are very pertinent to this strike and are also the prerequisite to the suspension of this strike, both at the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors’ level and also at ARD-FCTA.

“While we are grateful for the dialogues that we have been involved in at the National Assembly and the FCTA management, we hope to find a lasting solution to the lamentable situation of our healthcare system,” the statement highlighted.

See also  Ex-envoy urges Tinubu to tackle insecurity

The doctors urged the government not to always wait for a strike before addressing workers’ grievances.

“Finally, the management and the government should not always wait for a strike to occur before scampering to listen to our yearnings.

“Our sincere appreciation once more to the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, for his leadership and commitment to our country as we continue to work together to ensure that we continue our commitment to the welfare of our patients, while we, as health professionals, are not neglected again.

“However, the indefinite strike continues until other of our demands are met,” it added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Ex-envoy urges Tinubu to tackle insecurity

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Colonel Ma’aji: The alleged architect of Nigeria’s foiled coup plot
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  ''Act of National disgrace'- Omoyele Sowore reacts to DSS letter to X demanding the deactivation of his account

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending