Connect with us

News

Nigeria will be lending to nations by 2026 – Remi Tinubu

Published

on

Nigeria First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, has predicted that a time would come when the country will lend money to other nations, saying great prosperity lies ahead.

Senator Tinubu spoke on Sunday in Ile-Ife, Osun State, shortly after she was conferred with the chieftaincy title of Yeye Asiwaju Gbogbo Ile Oodua, at a well attended event, commemorating the 10th coronation anniversary of Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi.

Ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo was joined by the wife of the Vice President, Nana Shettima, ex-First Lady, Patience Jonathan, Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Ogun State Governor,  Dapo Abiodun, and a former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, at the event.

Also at the event were the dignitaries that include ex-Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun, Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, the Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Obasa, Deputy Governor of Osun State, Kola Adewusi, and former Osun First Lady, Kafayat Oyetola.

The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar, Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwatse III, the Orangun of Ila, Oba Abdulwahab Oyedotun, and the Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Ghandi Olaoye, were some of the traditional rulers present at the event.

Mrs Tinubu, who commended Ooni for the title bestowed on her, further said, “Today is a not a day of long speeches, I want to thank the people of Ile-Ife, I also thank the Ooni of Ile-Ife for bestowing such honour.

“Nigeria’s joy has come; those wondering how we want to do it, we will show them how things are being done. By 2026, Nigeria will be in prosperity; we will be lending to other nations.

See also  Amusan wins silver at World Athletics Championships

“It is important to say it here at the source of the Yoruba race today, that during the  administration of President Bola Tinubu, people will wonder how he has able to achieve such milestone,” she said in mixture of Yoruba and English language.

Speaking earlier, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Ogunwusi, said Oluremi Tinubu had supported him since he ascended the throne, noting the significance role that ex-President Obasanjo had also been playing to support the throne.

In his goodwill message, the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar, prayed for long reign for Ooni, asking for prayers for leaders in the country for them to lead the people in right direction.

Governor Adeleke, while addressing the gathering, said Oba Ogunwusi had brought a touch of class to royalty and rebranded the tradition, making Yoruba, a proud nation all over the world.

“Our royal father demonstrated what it means to have an empowered royal father. With strong economic footing and limitless capacity for local and global networking, his majesty changes the narration of traditional rulership. In the last one decade, his imperial majesty has pushed ahead with the branding of Ile-Ife as the cultural capital of the Yoruba people.”

Adeleke said the state government would an ally in the Ooni “as we implement that same vision of an upgraded cultural capital of Yoruba people.”

“In line with that vision, our government embarked on an infrastructure upgrade of Ile-Ife with 14 roads completed so far and several others ongoing. We are about to complete the first ever flyover in this cradle of Yoruba nation,” Adeleke said.

See also  We can’t allow crisis that began in 2009 to persist – Tinubu to service chiefs [FULL TEXT]

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  UK to launch digital ID scheme to curb illegal migration

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Amusan wins silver at World Athletics Championships
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Police arrest suspected terrorist financiers in Sokoto

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending