Connect with us

News

US Congress panels talk tough over Nigeria IDP crisis

Published

on

The United States House Appropriations Committee has reaffirmed America’s commitment to addressing religious persecution globally, with a focus on Nigeria, in a statement posted on its official X account on Wednesday.

“America will not look away as innocent lives are stolen. Directed by @POTUS, Appropriators led an on-the-ground mission to inform a report on Christian persecution in Nigeria and guide policy recommendations. Religious freedom and atrocity response are central to our NSRP bill,” the committee said.

The statement followed a visit to Nigeria by a delegation of US lawmakers, led by Congressman Riley Moore, under the direction of President Donald Trump.

The delegation’s mission, confirmed by Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, aimed to strengthen counter-terrorism cooperation, enhance regional stability, and reinforce the strategic security partnership between Nigeria and the United States.

During his visit, Moore met with Tiv and Catholic leaders in Benue State and visited camps for internally displaced persons.

On X, he described the conditions he witnessed as harrowing.

“I met dozens of Christians who were driven from their homes and subjected to horrific violence and now live in IDP camps,” Moore wrote.

He recounted the testimonies of victims of attacks in Benue, saying, “They told harrowing stories that will remain with me for the rest of my life.

“One woman was forced to watch as they killed her husband and five children.

She and her unborn child barely escaped. Another woman told me her family was murdered in front of her and her baby was ripped from her womb. A man said his family was hacked to death in front of his eyes and his arm was permanently mangled.”

See also  COOUTH resident doctors embark on seven-day warning strike

Moore estimated that more than 600,000 Christians are currently living in IDP camps in Benue State, a region long affected by violent clashes between farming communities and armed groups.

“These Christians should be able to live in their ancestral homeland without fear of genocidal Fulani,” he wrote, calling for greater international attention to the crisis.

Moore also met with traditional and religious leaders, including Bishop Wilfred Anagbe, Bishop Isaac Dugu, and James Ioruza, traditional ruler of the Tiv people.

He described these meetings as “an honour and deeply moving,” during which he discussed “the ongoing genocidal campaign by the Fulani in Benue State.”

The congressman said discussions with Nigerian authorities, including Ribadu, focused on terrorism in the North-East and killings in the Middle Belt, issues he said were priorities for both President Trump and himself.

He commended Nigeria for rescuing over 100 abducted Catholic schoolchildren and highlighted what he called a “now established joint task force between Nigeria and the US” as a positive development.

“Now, that openness has to translate to concrete action,” Moore said, adding that “there is much work still to be done.”

The US delegation’s visit comes amid heightened diplomatic tensions following the Trump administration’s redesignation of Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern over alleged religious freedom violations, a move accompanied by warnings of potential US military intervention.

The Federal Government has repeatedly rejected claims of systemic persecution of Christians, insisting that insecurity affects citizens of all faiths.

Prior engagements included Ribadu’s November 20 visit to the Pentagon, where Secretary of War Pete Hegseth discussed coordinated strategies to address Nigeria’s security crisis.

See also  US House passes record $1.15trn defence bill to fund Iran war

On the same day, the US House Subcommittee on Africa held a public hearing on the implications of the redesignation.

Last week, House Republicans raised fresh concerns about religious violence in Nigeria during a joint briefing ordered by President Trump.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Floods devastate Kenyan communities, over 7,000 displaced

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  ‘Nigeria Must Go’ protest retaliation for ‘Ghana Must Go’ – SOG Precious
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  US House passes record $1.15trn defence bill to fund Iran war

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending