Connect with us

Sports

AFCON brilliance puts Chelle on rivals’ radar

Published

on

Nigeria head coach, Eric Chelle, has attracted strong interest from several African nations following the Super Eagles’ impressive run at the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco, with Tunisia, Mali and Guinea all linked with moves for the Frenchman, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.

Chelle’s stock has risen sharply after guiding Nigeria to the semi-finals with a flawless record so far, winning all five matches, scoring 14 goals and conceding just four, including a dominant 2–0 quarter-final victory over Algeria in which the North Africans failed to register a single shot on target.

Reports emerging from across the continent suggest that Tunisia are prepared to make a major financial commitment to lure Chelle away after the tournament.

According to multiple sources, the Tunisian football authorities have sounded out the coach and are willing to offer a salary of around $100,000 per month, with formal contact expected after the AFCON, amid uncertainty surrounding his long-term contract situation with Nigeria.

Interest from Guinea has also intensified. In August, journalist Romain Molina reported via Joueurs Guinéens that the Guinean Football Federation had turned their attention to Chelle after prolonged negotiations with their preferred candidate, Paulo Duarte, had stalled over salary demands.

“While Paulo Duarte, the top favourite for the position of coach of the Syli national, has yet to sign anything due to his salary demands, President Sory Doumbouya took the opportunity to try to negotiate with Eric Chelle, who is already in position in Nigeria,” Joueurs Guinéens reported in August.

SCORENigeria reported on Sunday that Chelle’s work with the Super Eagles continue to draw interest from other African countries, including Angola and Guinea.

See also  Mikel Obi - NFF board must go if Nigeria misses 2026 World Cup

“I can confirm to you that there are offers for Eric. At least two 2026 World Cup qualifiers, Angola and Guinea, have indicated interest in working with him, but what is important here is that he is focused on achieving his target with Nigeria in Morocco,” Samm Audu reported for SCORENigeria.

Mali, Chelle’s former employers, are also said to be regretting their decision to part ways with the coach after he led them to the quarter-finals of the 2023 AFCON.

Senegalese commentator Saiid At Tijani wrote that Mali “played much better under Éric Chelle” and argued that the real problems lay with certain players, adding that time has since vindicated former captain Hamari Traoré.

Malian outlet Les Aigles Du Mali echoed similar sentiments, noting that Chelle’s departure coincided with a decline in average points per competition despite fewer goals conceded under his successor.

“We’ve told you already. We had to wait for the AFCON! Sole positive point of Saintfiet on Chelle, fewer goals conceded. In average points, he’s gone from 1st to 5th by running a competition with Mali,” the outlet said.

Among Nigerian supporters, Chelle’s turnaround has sparked widespread praise, particularly given the disappointment of November 2025, when Nigeria lost the World Cup play-off final to DR Congo on penalties in Rabat.

That setback appeared to mark the lowest point of his tenure, but the response at AFCON has been emphatic, with victories over Tunisia and Uganda in the group stage, a 4–0 demolition of Mozambique in the round of 16, and the composed quarter-final win over Algeria.

See also  Abiodun gifts Super Falcons N50m ahead of Benin clash

Statistically, Chelle’s squad has been impressive at AFCON 2025, scoring 14 goals in five matches played and just four conceded.

The team averages 2.8 goals per game, maintains 62 per cent possession, and completes 88.6 per cent of passes accurately.

Defensively, Nigeria has kept two clean sheets, averaging 14.6 tackles and 16.2 clearances per game, while committing just one penalty.

Observers have drawn parallels with the late Stephen Keshi, who was dismissed by Mali after reaching the quarter-finals of the 2010 AFCON before leading Nigeria to continental glory three years later.

As the Super Eagles prepare for the latter stages of the tournament in Morocco, Chelle’s immediate focus remains on delivering success with Nigeria, even as interest from across Africa continues to grow.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

PICTURES: Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has returned to Al Nassr training in Riyadh sporting a striking copper-yellow hairstyle, days after marrying longtime partner Georgina Rodríguez in a private ceremony in Portugal following Portugal’s exit from the 2026 World Cup.

The Portuguese forward posted photos of himself in the club’s training kit on his social media accounts on Thursday, captioning the images simply “Back 🟡🔵”. The pictures showed the 41-year-old with a new copper-yellow hair, a clear departure from the dark brown style he had worn for years, including during Portugal’s World Cup campaign.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo rejoined the squad after Portugal’s exit from the 2026 FIFA World Cup, where the team was eliminated by Spain in the Round of 16. He was granted additional time off by Al Nassr following the tournament and his private civil wedding to Rodríguez on August 11 in Cascais, Portugal.

The intimate ceremony was attended by their five children. The couple, who have been together for nearly a decade, confirmed the marriage with a photograph of their wedding rings.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Last season, Ronaldo helped Al Nassr end a long wait for domestic glory by winning the Saudi Pro League title. He scored 28 league goals as the club finished top with 86 points, two clear of rivals Al Hilal winning his first major trophy with the Riyadh side since joining in late 2022 and Al Nassr’s first league crown since 2019.

 

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Al Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou and teammates welcomed the captain back with applause during a team session, acknowledging both his return and recent marriage, AS the club also posted images of his arrival, teasing fans with the caption asking who had shown up at the training ground.

See also  How Cape Verde Became Second Smallest Country To Qualify For FIFA World Cup

Ronaldo now prepares for the new Saudi Pro League season as a married man with Al Nassr preparing to open their title defence against Al Fateh on August 15.

Fans reacted strongly to the post and the fresh look. #SumolaIdowu wrote “Started off a single man, now a married man. Congratulations Cristiano! May your new home last your lifetime.” While #Symplyher14 said “Welcome back to the pitch my GOAT!”

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

#SundayOb posted “Welcome back to the team, time to perform and complete the 1000 goals target.” As #CAgbawe simply noted “That hair Wow!”, #underthetre_e declared “This is absolute GOLD ”.While #D_PenGame added “the GOAT is backkkkk congratulations on your wedding sir.”

The new season marks another chapter for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner as he continues chasing career milestones with Al Nassr.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Four UEFA Super Cup finals played, lost by Unai Emery

Published

on

Unai Emery’s dominance of the UEFA Europa League has been accompanied by an equally striking struggle in the UEFA Super Cup, with his latest defeat against Paris Saint-Germain extending a perfect losing record in the competition.

Emery’s Aston Villa were beaten 2-1 by PSG in Salzburg on Wednesday, despite Brian Madjo’s historic equaliser, leaving the Spanish manager with four defeats from four UEFA Super Cup appearances.

The latest setback came just months after Emery guided Villa to their first major European trophy since 1982, beating Freiburg 3-0 in the Europa League final to claim a record-extending fifth Europa League title.

UEFA describes Emery as the competition’s most successful manager, having won it three times with Sevilla, once with Villarreal and now with Villa.

Yet the Super Cup has repeatedly proved to be his stumbling block.

His first appearance came in 2014, when Sevilla were beaten 2-0 by Real Madrid.

A year later, Sevilla suffered another defeat, losing 5-4 to Barcelona after extra time in one of the competition’s most memorable finals.

UEFA’s official records confirm both results.

Emery returned to the competition in 2021 with Villarreal after winning the Europa League. His side drew 1-1 with Chelsea after extra time before losing 6-5 on penalties.

Five years later, his fourth opportunity ended in another defeat.

PSG took the lead before Villa teenager Madjo levelled shortly before half-time, becoming the youngest scorer in Super Cup history.

Désiré Doué then restored PSG’s lead after the break to secure another European trophy for the French club.

See also  Tinubu Confers National Honours, Awards $100k To Super Falcons

The contrast with Emery’s Europa League record could hardly be sharper.

His five triumphs came in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2021 and 2026, while he has also reached six finals in the competition.

For Villa, however, the defeat does not erase what Emery has achieved. His Europa League success against Freiburg ended the club’s 30-year wait for silverware and restored its status as a major force in European football.

But for Emery personally, the Super Cup remains the one European trophy occasion that continues to elude him — four appearances, four defeats.

FULL LIST: Emery’s four Super Cup defeats

2014: Real Madrid 2-0 Sevilla

2015: Barcelona 5-4 Sevilla (after extra time)

2021: Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal (Chelsea won 6-5 on penalties)

2026: PSG 2-1 Aston Villa

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

La Liga: Barcelona prepare third bid for Rodri

Published

on

Barcelona are set to return with a third proposal for Manchester City midfielder Rodri as negotiations between the two clubs continue.

The Catalan giants have already seen offers worth €50 million and €60 million rejected, but they remain confident of reaching an agreement for the Spain international.

In a post on X on Friday, Fabrizio Romano wrote, “Barcelona are returning with a third proposal for Rodri to Manchester City.”

After €50m and €60m packages both rejected, direct club-to-club talks to continue halfway between €60m last bid and €80m fee requested.

Barça remain confident and optimistic.”

Direct talks between Barcelona and Manchester City are expected to continue, with the next proposal likely to fall somewhere between Barcelona’s latest €60 million offer and City’s reported €80 million asking price.

Barcelona remain optimistic about their chances of completing the deal and are prepared to push forward with negotiations rather than walk away.

The coming days could prove decisive, with both clubs continuing discussions in an effort to find a compromise over Rodri’s valuation.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  EPL: Rashford is back with something different – Carrick
Continue Reading

Trending