Connect with us

News

177 abducted Kaduna worshippers, bandits sighted in transit — Village Head

Published

on

The Village Head of Kurmin Wali community in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State, Mr. Ishaku Dan’azumi, has disclosed that the bandits who abducted 177 Christian worshippers were sighted on Thursday morning moving with their captives around the Maro axis of the council area.

Dan’azumi told PUNCH Online in a telephone interview that the abductors and their victims were seen trekking on foot between Ungwan Gamu and Maro communities, although their exact destination could not be ascertained.

According to the traditional ruler, the development followed threats allegedly issued by the bandits on Wednesday evening after they noticed the presence of security operatives in the area.

“They called us yesterday evening and threatened the community, accusing us of bringing soldiers. They said we were claiming to have ‘big people’ backing us because of the military presence,” Dan’azumi said.

“We explained to them that we don’t have anybody and that we did not invite the soldiers. After that conversation, they ended the call, and we have not heard from them again.”

He added that residents later received information early on Thursday that the abductors and their captives had been sighted trekking through bush paths between Ungwan Gamu and Maro communities.

“This morning, we were told that they were seen moving on foot with our people between Ungwan Gamu and Maro, but we do not know exactly where they are heading,” he said.

The Village Head expressed deep concern over the safety and well-being of the abducted worshippers and called on security agencies to intensify surveillance and rescue operations to ensure their safe return.

See also  Tinubu’s Executive Order: FG, states, LGs allocation may increase by N15tn

PUNCH reports that Kurmin Wali, Ungwan Gamu and Maro are rural communities in Kajuru Local Government Area, one of the flashpoints of banditry and kidnapping in Southern Kaduna. The area is characterised by vast forests and difficult terrain, which armed groups have exploited over the years to establish hideouts and carry out attacks on rural communities.

Residents of Kajuru have suffered repeated incidents of mass abductions, killings and destruction of farmlands, with many villagers forced to flee their homes at various times due to persistent insecurity.

Despite sustained military operations in parts of Southern Kaduna, bandits have continued to stage attacks, often targeting places of worship, farmlands and highways.

The 177 worshippers were abducted on Sunday during church services in Kurmin Wali community, sparking outrage and renewed calls by religious leaders, community stakeholders and civil society groups for decisive action to end mass kidnappings in the state.

The abductors had earlier contacted community leaders and demanded the return of 17 motorcycles allegedly lost during recent military operations in the area as a condition for the release of the victims, further complicating negotiations.

The incident has heightened tension and fear across Kajuru Local Government Area and neighbouring communities, as families of the abducted worshippers anxiously await their safe return.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Makinde picks ex-DSS DG Daura as running mate, rallies opposition ahead of 2027 elections

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Borno bombings: Killings spark fury, defence chiefs move into Maiduguri
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Reps deny alleged planned showdown with Speaker

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending