Connect with us

Business

Transcorp Hotels posts N97bn revenue in 2025, declares N1.30 final dividend

Published

on

Transcorp Hotels Plc has reported strong financial performance, posting N97bn in revenue for the 2025 financial year, a 38 per cent increase over the previous year.

At the 12th annual general meeting held in Abuja on Thursday, Chairman of the company, Awele Elumelu, said the hospitality firm entered 2026 on a solid footing following what she described as a successful year.

“So for Transcorp Hotels PLC, 2025 was actually a good year. We’ve entered 2026 quite strongly. We ended the year with a profit of 97bn, which was a 38% increase on the preceding year. And even profit as well, that was our revenue. We’re very happy to be going into the new year,” she said.

She added that the company rewarded shareholders with an improved dividend payout.

“And we’re very pleased that this year we’ve been able to give our shareholders shares of N1.30 kobo per share as the final dividend,” Elumelu stated.

According to her, the company’s performance reflects a combination of shareholder support, effective management, and strong corporate governance.

“So we know actually we’ve been able to delight our shareholders. But we thank them at the same time for their support because it’s through their support and through their encouragement and all the advice that they tend to give us at sessions like this and give the management. And through the hard work and commitment of the management, we’ve been able to do that. So that’s what we’ve been able to do with regard to shareholding.”

Elumelu highlighted brand strength and operational efficiency as key drivers of growth.

“We have a strong brand, and this has worked very well for us, and it continues to improve. We’ve had our management team, they’ve increased their operational efficiency.”

She also noted efforts to diversify the company’s offerings, including the development of a major events facility.

See also  Nigeria, Africa urged to support Venezuelan energy stability

“We’ve also done some work in diversifying what we have. Just in 2025, we built and set up the Transcorp Event Center, which is a multifunctional center, which has a capacity of 5,000. We’ve had lots of big events in 2025, including the Afrexim event, which took up to 4,000 dignitaries from out of state.

“So that has played a major role in that. We’ve also had things like improving our digital technology and improving customer service generally. You can see from our rooms that we’ve seen a lot of digital improvements, from check-in to room service, and of course, our staff.

“We’re blessed with great staff, and so these are some of the things that have led to improvements in revenue.”

Looking ahead, she expressed optimism about the company’s prospects for 2026, including expansion plans.

“For 2026, the board is convinced and is confident that we will do better. Our management team is in line as well, and we just want to build on what we’ve been doing. We want to build on the brand that we’ve had.

“We want to build on investing in infrastructure, investing in technology, and investing in diversifying. We’re looking at setting up a branch in Lagos. We’ve been on this for a while. So this is also another avenue. And all this on the bedrock of good corporate governance, because we pride ourselves on being able to ensure that we carry out good corporate governance.”

Also speaking, the Managing Director of the company, Uzoamaka Oshogwe, said total dividend payout for the year stood at about N13 billion.

“Dividend in total is 13 billion. Because last year we paid, 10kobo, and then this year, that final dividend was 1 naira 20 kobo. So in total that was just slightly over 13 billion.”

On business performance in the new year, she said occupancy rates had picked up strongly after a slow start in January.

See also  Nigeria can produce 1.9 million barrels of crude oil per day — NUPRC

“January is kind of slow, but it’s been good. Our occupancy since the middle of January has been about 100%.”

Oshogwe disclosed that the company is collaborating with the Transcorp Group to address energy costs and sustainability concerns.

“Transcorp is known for hospitality, and we invest in hospitality and also in power. So what we’re doing is that we’re partnering with Transcorp Power to ensure that we begin to explore other options for cheaper power. One of the ones that we’ve actually implemented towards the end of last year was the dual gas burner.

“So that’s actually using gas to generate power. So all of our boilers, so if you think about the number of boilers we have in 667 rooms, that are powered by gas. So that not just saves us costs, it’s also very friendly to the environment.

“And then we’re also working with Transcorp Energy, and we’re looking at renewable energy. And that is also, what brings to mind the sustainability and the ESG factor into our operations.”

She added that capital allocation would be guided by projects capable of delivering multiple returns.

“We are putting in our money, where we can have multiple capital appreciations. So that is quite intentional, because funds are limited. So you must ensure that whatever projects you actually put your funds in have that multiplying effect in revenue generation.”

According to her, the company’s strategy for 2026 will focus on operational excellence, technology investment, and brand relevance.

“And then the second one is operational excellence. We started this last year. And that is just investing in our people and also in technology.

“So those are the two key areas that we’re actually going to pinpoint our operational excellence in. And then number three is brand relevance. Brand relevance is all about people beginning to understand what our brand stands for and equating that into sustainability in our growth.

See also  PHOTOS: Blue Band Margarine Advertisement in Nigeria, circa 1966

“So those are the three key areas that we’re going to be concentrating on this year to ensure that we sustain the revenue growth, and we also multiply it. Because one of the shareholders, first of all, started by saying 100 billion. And I said, we are already there,” she concluded.

The company reported a profit before tax of N22.613bn for the year ended December 31, 2024, representing an impressive 138.48 per cent year-on-year growth. It also declared a final dividend of N0.64 per share, bringing the total dividend for the year to N0.74, including the N0.10 interim dividend previously paid.

Despite cost pressures, the company maintained solid margins. Although the cost of sales grew faster than revenue, gross profit margin remained strong at 70.89 per cent. Room sales, with an 84.5 per cent margin, remained the most profitable segment, while food and beverages, at 42.9 per cent, operated with comparatively tighter margins. Operational expenses increased during the year, largely driven by energy costs, which surged from N2.425 billion in 2023 to N4.763 billion.

On the balance sheet, total assets grew by 11.58 per cent to N140.696 billion, reflecting continued expansion. Total borrowings declined by 22.12 per cent, reducing financial leverage, while interest expenses fell 10.21 per cent year-on-year to N2.798 billion.

This improved the company’s interest coverage ratio to 9.30 times from 4.22 times in 2023, indicating that operating profit comfortably covered interest obligations. Shareholders’ funds also rose by 20.54 per cent year-on-year, supported by strong earnings growth and retained profits, further strengthening its financial position.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Agricultural quarantine service postpones release of recruitment shortlist

Published

on

The Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service has postponed the publication of shortlisted candidates for its ongoing recruitment exercise, which was initially scheduled for Thursday, August 13.

NAQS said the decision was made to ensure a thorough, transparent and accurate recruitment process.

The agency announced the postponement in a public notice signed by the Director of Human Resources, ACG Issaka Ahmed, and posted on its X handle on Friday.

“In order to ensure a thorough, transparent and accurate process, we are unable to release the list of shortlisted candidates as scheduled,” the notice stated.

The agency apologised for the delay and urged applicants and members of the public to remain patient while awaiting a new date.

“We sincerely regret any inconvenience or uncertainty this delay may have caused and appreciate the patience, understanding and continued interest of all applicants.

“All applicants and the general public are hereby notified that a new date will be communicated in due course through our official communication channels,” it said.

The agency advised applicants to rely only on information released through its official channels.

The recruitment exercise, which opened on July 28 and closed on August 10, attracted 606,928 attempted applications, while 407,659 were successfully submitted, according to statistics released by NAQS on Wednesday.

The agency said 199,269 applications were incomplete at the close of the application period.

The Assistant Superintendent of Quarantine II cadre, requiring HND or bachelor’s degree, recorded the highest number of applications with 290,076, followed by Quarantine Assistant II with 117,177 applications.

Other cadres included the NCE category with 79,685 applications, OND with 70,170, and the Superintendent cadre requiring a master’s degree with 13,183 applications.

See also  Nigeria can produce 1.9 million barrels of crude oil per day — NUPRC

PUNCH Online reports that NAQS said it will conduct a computer-based test and interviews on August 15, after shortlisted candidates are released on August 13.

However, candidates will now await new dates.

The recruitment exercise covers the Superintendent, Inspectorate and Assistant cadres.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

Customs dismiss smuggling, revenue leakage allegations

Published

on

The Nigeria Customs Service has dismissed allegations of increased smuggling, revenue leakage, recruitment impropriety and manipulation of succession within the service, describing them as a misrepresentation of its operations and administrative processes.

The service’s National Public Relations Officer, Deputy Comptroller Abdullahi Maiwada, stated this in a response released on Thursday to an investigative report published by a media outlet (not PUNCH) on August 7, 2026.

The report had alleged intensified smuggling along the Seme, Idiroko, Ilaro, Ipokia and Igbeti-Kishi corridors, as well as manipulation of the 846 valuation code at the Apapa, Tin Can Island and PTML Area Commands.

Maiwada said the claim of a surge in smuggling was inconsistent with the service’s enforcement activities, pointing to regular seizures recorded along the affected corridors.

“Our responsibility is to reduce smuggling to the barest minimum, not to claim that it can be completely eradicated,” he said.

On the 846 valuation code, the NCS explained that it was a digital tool designed for vehicles with non-standard or non-compliant Vehicle Identification Numbers, including specialised heavy equipment, classic vehicles and customised models.

“The 846 code is an established digital valuation code within the Customs portal, specifically designated for vehicles with non-standard or non-compliant Vehicle Identification Numbers,” Maiwada said.

He added that standard vehicles were assessed automatically through manufacturer-linked databases, while 846 applications were subjected to secondary approval by valuation officers and Area Controllers.

Maiwada said discrepancies discovered through post-clearance audits could lead to Demand Notices for the recovery of short-collected duties and sanctions against offending operators, adding that revenue collections at major ports had reached historic levels under the digital framework.

On the recruitment of Assistant Superintendents of Customs II, the Service said the exercise was conducted under the authorisation of the Nigeria Customs Service Board and in line with the NCS Act 2023 and Federal Character Commission guidelines.

See also  IMF Ranks Nigeria Among World’s Top Growth Drivers, Places Country Sixth for 2026 GDP Impact

It said successful candidates were issued provisional offers subject to medical verification, background checks and formal acceptance.

The Service also rejected allegations of succession manipulation and favouritism among officers, saying promotions were determined by seniority, merit, promotion examinations and available vacancies in accordance with established regulations.

“Succession and promotion within the Service are governed by established rules and career progression structures, not personal preference,” the Service said.

Maiwada said leadership training for Deputy Comptrollers was part of the Service’s human capital development strategy, aimed at strengthening trade operations, intelligence management and executive leadership.

He explained that approved training programmes and international exposures were funded through budgetary allocations or formal technical assistance arrangements with partner institutions.

Responding to calls for independent investigations, the NCS said it remained subject to oversight by the Federal Ministry of Finance, National Assembly, Office of the Auditor-General for the Federation and anti-corruption agencies.

“The management maintains a firm, intolerant posture toward corruption, revenue leakage or administrative misconduct,” the Service stated.

It added that any officer or stakeholder found culpable would face disciplinary action and prosecution in accordance with the law, while assuring Nigerians that the Service would cooperate with any legitimate investigation by statutory authorities.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

Patience Jonathan revealed she mentored Azikel refinery boss Eruani from ‘small boy’ to big businessman

Published

on

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan’s wife, Patience, has described the Group President of Azikel Group, Dr Azibapu Eruani, as a “small boy” she raised and mentored into the league of Nigeria’s biggest businessmen.

She said her guidance was behind his bold entry into big business at a relatively young age.

The former First Lady spoke on Tuesday in a video which went viral on Thursday during an inspection tour of the Azikel Refinery in Obunagha, Bayelsa State, alongside other dignitaries.

She said she personally introduced Eruani to billionaire businessmen, Aliko Dangote and Aminu Dantata, and pushed him to aspire to their level despite being the youngest among them.

“He’s a boy that I brought up. We are always together. Although he’s the little one among us when we are friends — Dangote, Seyi, Dantata, Eruani — among us, he’s the smallest. But I made sure he followed the Dangotes, he followed Dantata.

“Because I’m a woman in their midst, I made sure I told this small boy, ‘Go and follow them, and stop the grammar.’ But when he told me that one day he would be like Dangote, I said, ‘You’re thinking too high.’ I prayed to God to grant him his heart’s desire,” she said.

Group President of Azikel Group, Dr Azibapu Eruani

The former First Lady also recalled how the immediate past APC administration under Muhammadu Buhari initially failed to grant Eruani a refinery licence before eventually approving three.

“During the Buhari administration, he and others came to me and told me they were going to apply for a refinery. I told him, ‘Eruani, your brother, the President, did not give you a refinery.

See also  Nigeria, Africa urged to support Venezuelan energy stability

“Is it the APC government that will give you one?’ I prayed it would happen. But later, they came back and told me they had been given three refineries,” she said.

The inspection coincided with the arrival of the refinery’s Crude Distillation Unit, a major milestone in the development of the $1bn facility.

The 25,000 barrels-per-day plant is a private hydro-skimming refinery designed to process condensate into petrol, diesel, aviation fuel, kerosene and other products.

It is set to become Nigeria’s second-largest full-slate refinery and the first major privately owned refinery in the Niger Delta.

The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Samuel Ogbuku, who joined the inspection tour, commended Eruani for his perseverance, noting that he had attended the project’s groundbreaking ceremony eight years ago.

Ogbuku described the refinery as an inspiration and a potential catalyst for investment, job creation and economic growth in Bayelsa State, and urged residents, particularly youths, to key into the opportunities it would create.

 

 

He also praised the Bayelsa State Government for improving road infrastructure leading to the refinery site and called for continued support for the project.

Governor Douye Diri, who was represented at the inspection by his deputy, Peter Akpe, has consistently backed the project, which is expected to employ hundreds of workers and drive industrialisation in the state.

Other dignitaries at the event included the Chairman of the Bayelsa State Council of Traditional Rulers, King Bubaraye Dakolo; Vice President of Azikel Group, Presley Asemota; and Isaac Yalah, among others.

See also  Oil sector key to economic growth – Don

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending