Connect with us

News

FG activates evacuation plan as Middle East crisis worsens

Published

on

The Federal Government on Monday said it is working out administrative procedures and the release of funds for  the evacuation of Nigerians affected by the ongoing crisis in parts of the Middle-East East.

The decision comes amid escalating tensions in the region, triggered by missile and drone attacks linked to Iran, which have raised security concerns across several Gulf nations.

This follows coordinated military strikes by the United States and Israel against Iran on February 28.

The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, told our correspondent that arrangements for evacuation were ongoing.

“The government is working out the necessary administrative details and the release of funds to commence evacuation,” he said.

The update follows earlier concerns over the safety of Nigerians stranded in countries including Iran, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Qatar, among others, after regional hostilities disrupted flights and travel plans.

Last week, the ministry told The PUNCH that its immediate priority was Nigerians in the most vulnerable areas, particularly those in Iran and Israel, where the security situation has made evacuation more complicated.

The ministry had explained that the evacuation process from Iran involves significant logistical challenges, including transporting stranded students from various universities to the Armenian border and meeting entry conditions set by Armenian authorities.

It further noted that the government was exploring different evacuation options, including the possibility of deploying Nigerian Air Force aircraft, although the volatile security situation in the region had made it difficult to secure flights.

The ministry also added that most of the Nigerians stranded  in Qatar were transit passengers whose flights were disrupted, but who were being taken care of by their airlines.

Giving updates to The PUNCH, Ebienfa stated, “Qatar Airways has started operating flights to Nigeria. There was a flight to Lagos today (Monday) from Doha.

“So, in a few days, the category of Nigerian stranded due to transit flights that were affected by the crisis will all be in Nigeria. This is in addition to flights to Cairo, Egypt and Nairobi, Kenya that included some Nigerians.”

On Saturday, the Ministry of Defence of the UAE confirmed that its air defence systems intercepted multiple ballistic missiles and drones launched from Iran.

See also  Funke Akindele makes history with ‘Behind The Scenes’ see details

The ministry disclosed that its air defence systems engaged nine ballistic missiles and 33 unmanned aerial vehicles on March 14, describing the incidents as part of a broader wave of attacks since the beginning of what it termed Iranian aggression.

Authorities also confirmed that casualties from the attacks included residents and foreign workers from several countries, with six people reportedly killed and more than 140 others sustaining injuries of varying degrees.

The UAE Ministry of Defence had earlier stated that its forces remained on high alert and ready to respond to any threats to the country’s security.

Since the beginning of the hostilities, the ministry said its air defence systems had intercepted 294 ballistic missiles, 15 cruise missiles and about 1,600 drones launched from Iran.

Officials said the casualties recorded involved individuals from multiple countries, including Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, the Philippines, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Azerbaijan, Yemen, Uganda, Eritrea, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Bahrain, Comoros, Iraq, Nepal, Nigeria, Oman, Jordan, Palestine, Ghana, Indonesia and Sweden.

Ebienfa further informed The PUNCH that the Nigerian who was injured “has been treated and discharged.”

Iran backs FG

Meanwhile, the Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran to Nigeria, Gholamreza Raja, has said the Iranian government is willing to cooperate with Nigerian authorities to facilitate the safe departure of Nigerian nationals who may wish to leave the country.

Raja, in an exclusive chat with The PUNCH on Monday, stressed that Iran remained committed to ensuring the safety and welfare of foreign nationals, including Nigerians, currently residing in the country.

According to him, the Embassy of Nigeria in Tehran has already taken necessary steps to assist all foreign citizens and has continued to maintain communication with members of the Nigerian community.

“Naturally, the Nigerian Embassy in Tehran has taken the necessary measures to assist and support its nationals, and it remains in contact with members of the Nigerian community to provide guidance where needed,” the ambassador said.

He added that the Iranian government is ready to cooperate with relevant authorities to make travel arrangements easier for Nigerians who may choose to leave the country.

“At the same time, the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran is ready to cooperate in facilitating the departure of Nigerian nationals if they wish to leave the country,” Raja stated.

The envoy explained that Iran’s land borders with neighbouring countries remained open and are currently being used by foreign nationals for travel.

See also  Emir Sanusi begins classes as 200-level Law student in Kano, see pictures

“Currently, Iran’s land borders with neighbouring countries are open, and normal movement through these routes is ongoing. Many foreign nationals are already using these land routes for travel or departure.

“Reports indicate that the routes are safe and can be used without difficulty. Nigerian citizens can therefore make use of these routes if they choose to do so,” Raja said.

Speaking on the number of Nigerians living in Iran, the ambassador said available estimates suggest that several hundred Nigerian nationals reside in the country, with many of them studying in Iranian institutions.

“According to available estimates, several hundred Nigerian nationals live in Iran. A significant number of them are students, some of whom are studying at Iranian universities or educational institutions under scholarship programmes,” the envoy said.

The ambassador explained that the exact number of Nigerians in Iran is difficult to determine because not all citizens formally registered with the Nigerian embassy.

He added that some Nigerians in Iran are involved in small-scale commercial activities.

“In addition, a number of Nigerians are engaged in small-scale commercial and business activities.

“The exact number may vary, as not all nationals formally register with their embassy,” he said.

“Some Nigerian citizens travelled to Iran for short-term or long-term educational programmes, training courses, or religious pilgrimage, and later return to Nigeria. For this reason, the number of Nigerians present in Iran may fluctuate over time,” the ambassador explaned.

Emirates  suspends flights

Meanwhile, Emirates Airline has again announced the temporary suspension of all flights to and from Dubai, advising passengers not to go to the airport until further notice.

The airline issued the latest travel advisory on Monday, warning travellers to avoid going to Dubai International Airport as flight operations remained halted.

The suspension followed guidance from the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority earlier on Monday, which grounded all flights operating through Dubai International Airport amid heightened tensions in the Middle-East East.

See also  FG overshoots borrowing limit as new debt reaches N12.62tn

The Emirate airline initially suspended operations, but resumed after strikes from the Israel- Iran war reduced in the country. Dubai is one of the most hit in the ongoing war.

But in its latest update to passengers, Emirates said all flights arriving in and departing from Dubai remain suspended while authorities continue to assess the situation.

Emirates added that it was working closely with aviation authorities and relevant agencies to determine when it would be safe to resume operations.

The airline said, “Customers are reminded not to travel to the airport at this time and to continue checking this page for the latest updates. We thank our customers for their continued patience and understanding. The safety of our passengers and crew remains our highest priority.”

The disruption has created uncertainty for thousands of travellers who rely on Dubai as a major global transit hub, including many passengers flying between Nigeria and other international destinations.

The latest suspension comes in the wake of escalating tensions in the Middle East following United States and Israeli strikes on Iran, which the US President, Donald Trump, described as a “major combat operation.”

The conflict has forced several international airlines to reroute or suspend flights that typically cross the affected airspace, leading to widespread disruptions across the global aviation network.

Only recently, Emirates had resumed skeletal operations on its Dubai–Lagos–Dubai route on March 6, 2026, offering limited flights after earlier disruptions.

However, even before the latest suspension, many Nigerian passengers who had purchased tickets prior to the earlier halt in operations were already grappling with unresolved refund requests.

Travel agents say numerous refund applications submitted on behalf of affected passengers have yet to be processed, leaving travellers stranded between waiting for refunds or uncertain travel rescheduling.

The prolonged uncertainty has also begun to affect business activities linked to travel to Dubai, a major destination for conferences, trade events and tourism for many Nigerians.

Several conferences and business meetings scheduled to hold in Dubai have either been cancelled or relocated to other destinations, while travellers continue to approach Emirates seeking refunds for unused tickets.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Tompolo distances self from call for Kanu’s release

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Survivors tell horrific tales of Lagos highrise inferno in Afriland Tower
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Emir Sanusi begins classes as 200-level Law student in Kano, see pictures

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending