Connect with us

News

Forensic report reveals Amupitan has no X account, says INEC

Published

on

All the alleged posts, replies, or statements attributed to Prof. Joash Amupitan, Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), on X (Twitter) are fraudulent, forensically unverifiable, technically impossible, and part of a coordinated disinformation campaign, an independent forensic investigation report has revealed.

The report conclusively established that he does not operate any personal X (Twitter) account.

In a detailed forensic report released on Monday by INEC, investigators identified several anomalies. According to the report, one of the most critical pieces of evidence was a timestamp anomaly.

The alleged reply credited to the fake account was posted 13 minutes before the original tweet it supposedly responded to, a scenario described as technically impossible on any digital platform. This finding strongly indicates digital manipulation.

Investigators carried out extensive verification using platform recovery tools, email linkage checks, and phone number analysis.

The findings confirmed that there is no connection between the fake X account and Prof. Amupitan’s verified email or phone number. Claims based on BVN and OPay data were described as misleading and logically flawed. Data breach records circulated online were also found to be unrelated and lacked any direct link to the alleged account.

Further checks using the Wayback Machine showed no record of the account or its posts before April 2026, contradicting claims that it had been active since 2022. In addition, the alleged reply does not exist on the live X platform, reinforcing the conclusion that it was never posted.

INEC also disclosed that on the same day the screenshots went viral, the account was renamed from @joashamupitan to @sundayvibe00, set to private, and labelled a “Parody Account.” This sequence of actions was identified as a deliberate attempt to erase digital traces and evade detection.

See also  Nigeria, UK seal £746m deal to redevelop Tin Can, Apapa ports

The investigation uncovered a broader impersonation network, including multiple fake Facebook and Instagram accounts using Prof. Amupitan’s identity, recycled profile images across platforms, and systematic misuse of publicly available personal data. INEC concluded that the incident is part of a coordinated effort to manipulate public perception.

The Commission urged Nigerians and media organisations to verify social media content before sharing, emphasising that viral content is not necessarily authentic. It also highlighted the growing risks posed by artificial intelligence and digital manipulation.

The case has been referred to law enforcement agencies for further investigation and possible prosecution under Nigeria’s Cybercrimes Act. Authorities are expected to trace those responsible for creating and circulating the fake content.

INEC reiterated that all official communications are issued only through its verified platforms, adding that any account claiming to represent Prof. Amupitan in a personal capacity should be treated as fraudulent unless officially confirmed.

Providing background to the report, Adedayo Oketola, Chief Press Secretary/Media Adviser to the INEC Chairman, recalled that on 10 April 2026, Prof. Amupitan’s attention was drawn to posts and screenshots on social media claiming he operated an X (Twitter) account (@joashamupitan) and made a partisan post (“Victory is sure”) in reply to @dayoisreal.

He said shortly after, more screenshots appeared online showing emails, phone numbers, OPay, and BVN verification data, and data breach records linking Prof. Amupitan to the X (Twitter) account. These records were widely shared across traditional and online media as corroborating proof.

Oketola said after discovering the disinformation, Prof. Amupitan, through him, issued an official statement to debunk the falsehood and clearly stated that he had never owned or operated an X (Twitter) account.

See also  UK and Nigeria unveil three-year plan to combat immigration crime

Thereafter, he said INEC committed to a full forensic investigation and commissioned an independent forensic cybersecurity expert, who conducted a multi-layered forensic and digital investigation using X platform data, internet archive records, OSINT tools, identity forensics, and cross-platform analysis.

“A combination of INEC’s internal review and the independent investigations by digital forensic and cybersecurity experts have reached the same conclusion with high confidence. The forensic evidence is comprehensive, multi-sourced, and unambiguous. The posts attributed to Prof. Amupitan on X are fabricated. The account is a clear case of impersonation, and the surrounding activity points to a coordinated disinformation effort intended to manipulate public perception. One of the independent investigators described it as ‘a coordinated digital impersonation and disinformation campaign,” the statement read in part.

tribuneonline.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Nigerians languish in prisons as Ethiopia stalls repatriation MoU

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  FG slams contractor over poor Keffi-Nasarawa road
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  DSS summons Awujale nominees as kingmakers cancel ‘meet-and-greet’

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending