Connect with us

News

Some people warned Tinubu against wearing clothes I gave him — Shettima made shocking revelation

Published

on

Vice President Kashim Shettima on Tuesday revealed that barely three months after President Bola Tinubu was sworn into office, some people from Borno State visited the President and warned him to stop wearing traditional attire given to him by Shettima during the 2023 campaign, alleging the garments had been used to charm him and would lead to his death.

He said Tinubu not only rejected the claim but responded by deliberately wearing the clothing for an entire week as a public rebuke to what he called a story that “did not add up.”

Shettima spoke while delivering his address at the public presentation of former Head of State Yakubu Gowon’s autobiography, My Life of Duty and Allegiance, in Abuja on Tuesday, where he represented Tinubu.

Shettima used the incident to illustrate what he described as the dangerous spread of suspicion in Nigerian public life.

He also compared the rising spate of suspicion with the Sultan of Sokoto’s account of how Gowon would receive gallons of fura sent weekly from the Sultan’s family in Sokoto to Dodan Barracks in Lagos.

He noted that Gowon accepted the gesture without any suspicion, in a spirit of trust that he said has since been eroded.

The VP said, “His Eminence, the Sultan of Sokoto, had been narrating the story of the family of the Sultan sending gallons of fura every week to General Yakubu Gowon in Dodan Barracks, because of the trust and confidence General Gowon was willingly receiving it without any suspicion.

See also  Natasha: Akpabio congratulates senators over Appeal Court judgment

“But now the game is different. Suspicion smears our relationships, and it ought not to be. We are essentially one people tied to a common destiny.”

Narrating his personal story involving Tinubu, Shettima recalled that in the lead-up to the 2023 presidential primaries, as the President canvassed support across the North, he sourced traditional Borno attire and a cap for Tinubu to wear at campaign events so the candidate could blend with the northern crowd.

He said positive feedback from Tinubu’s aides proved that the clothing fitted well, and Tinubu wore it repeatedly during the campaign.

However, the confrontation came just months after victory.

Shettima said he had travelled to Beijing in October 2023 to represent Tinubu at the 3rd Belt and Road Initiative Forum, held from October 16 to 18, one of his early high-profile foreign assignments as Vice President.

When he returned from China, Tinubu summoned him and delivered a message from a group of people about the clothes.

He narrated, “When I came back from China, where I had represented him at the Belt and Road Initiative Conference, he said: ‘Sit down. Your people came to me and said I should stop wearing those dresses you gave me. They said I must have been charmed, and that I am going to die and he will become the president.’”

Shettima noted that Tinubu dismissed the accusation because it did not add up.

According to Shettima, he responded,
“Their story did not add up, because when you gave me those dresses, I was an aspirant. I wasn’t even the candidate. Neither were you the vice-presidential candidate.”

See also  Chimamanda Adichie lawyers write Lagos hospital, doctor suspended

However, he said the President proceeded to wear the dresses for a week.

“For one week, to prove to them that he is not fetish, he wore those dresses.

“These are some of the gimmicks that are taking place in power circles in Nigeria nowadays.”

In his address, Shettima poured encomiums on Gowon, saying his life embodied the opposite of sectarian suspicion.

Shettima cited Gowon’s establishment of the NYSC as a reconciliation instrument, his ECOWAS legacy, and the urgent need for Nigerians to confront divisive forces that seek to undermine unity.

He referenced Plateau State, whose governor, Caleb Mutfwang, was present, urging an end to cycles of violence in language that cited linguistic, genealogical, and historical ties across the divisions currently producing bloodshed on the Plateau.

On Gowon, whom he called the “the last man standing” among Nigeria’s post-independence military generation, Shettima said the autobiography is “a bottom of memory at a time when our country needs a discipline of remembrance.”

He said, “There are people who are remembered before they leave office.

“There are others whose memory endures because office became, in their hands, an instrument of national meaning. General Gowon belongs to the second company.”

He also quoted Martin Luther King Jr. in closing, calling on Nigerians to either unite or face collective ruin.

“Let us learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools,” he stated.

The event was attended by former President Goodluck Jonathan, who chaired the occasion, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume; Senate President Godswill Akpabio, represented by Senator Ireti Kingibe; the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III; the President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Monica Dongban-Mensem; and a galaxy of retired generals, including the son of late military Head of State, General Sani Abacha.

See also  Abia compresses six years primary education into three, read details

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Natasha: Akpabio congratulates senators over Appeal Court judgment

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Abia compresses six years primary education into three, read details
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  FG raises allowances, boosts welfare for civil servants

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending