Connect with us

Sports

World Cup: Ronaldo scores as Portugal beat Croatia 2-1 to reach last 16

Published

on

Portugal battled into the last 16 of the World Cup with a drama-filled 2-1 victory over Croatia on Thursday to set up a titanic showdown with European champions Spain.

In another nerve-shredding World Cup classic, Goncalo Ramos headed Portugal into the lead in the fourth minute of stoppage time before Croatia saw a last-gasp equaliser agonisingly ruled out for offside in Toronto.

Portugal’s 41-year-old superstar captain Cristiano Ronaldo had helped haul his team back into the contest, burying a 68th-minute penalty to cancel out Croatia’s 53rd-minute opener from Ivan Perisic.

Ronaldo later joined frenzied celebrations after Ramos glanced home a sensational header deep into injury time to give Portugal the lead.

But Ronaldo and his Portugal team-mates were left stunned when Josko Gvardiol prodded home an apparent equaliser in stoppage time.

Yet there was one final twist when the goal was chalked off for offside after a lengthy VAR review to the disbelief of Croatia’s players and their large contingent of fans at Toronto’s BMO Field.

After the final whistle, an emotional Ronaldo held up and pulled on a Portugal shirt bearing the number 21, a tribute to late team-mate Diogo Jota, the Liverpool star who tragically died in a car crash almost a year to the day from Thursday’s win, on July 3 last year.

“We knew it before the game. It was a so special moment. We speak today, our group, about that, the coincidence of life, it’s unbelievable,” Ronaldo said afterwards of the tribute to Jota.

“I was amazed because the situation of today. It means a lot to us, not only because we won the game, but the also the way we won the game. It was a difficult game, we knew it.”

See also  False, misrepresented, Ideye disowns report on jailing broke footballers

The result ensures that Ronaldo’s incredible World Cup career will be extended for at least one more match when the Portuguese face Iberian rivals Spain in the last 16 in Dallas on Monday.

Ronaldo’s second-half penalty made him the oldest man to score in a World Cup knockout match. The goal was also first time Ronaldo had scored in a World Cup game in his glittering career.

Spain romp past Austria

Spain had advanced to that meeting with a scintillating 3-0 win over Austria in Los Angeles earlier Friday that confirmed their status as one of the favourites for the title.

Two goals from Mikel Oyarzabal and a Pedro Porro header sealed victory for the Spaniards, who produced their most complete performance of the tournament to advance to the next round.

Spain opened their World Cup campaign with a faltering 0-0 draw against Cape Verde, but have subsequently built momentum with each match.

With Spanish movie stars Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem in the 70,492 crowd at Los Angeles’ SoFi Stadium, Spain were always in control against a limited Austrian side who failed to register a shot on goal.

Oyarzabal fired Spain into the lead in the 36th minute, sweeping in a low finish to crown a slick passing move, and more deft inter-play set up Porro to head home the second in the 66th minute.

Real Sociedad striker Oyarzabal grabbed his second as he coolly tucked away a low finish from Marc Cucurella’s pinpoint cross.

“We played a magnificent match. I am happy because, in every aspect, we came close to perfection,” said Spain coach Luis de la Fuente.

See also  Nigeria should have retained Jose Peseiro for World Cup Qualifiers - Ex-Super Eagles star Taye Taiwo

“Every match from now on will be more complicated. Every match will be a bit more demanding. We are moving into a more critical phase” of the World Cup, he added.

De la Fuente said his Spain side can still get better “in every area.”

“That is our spirit — the belief that we haven’t hit our ceiling yet. We need to improve naturally. We are ambitious,” he said.

The late match on Thursday will see Algeria take on Switzerland, attempting to avoid becoming the latest African team to fall by the wayside in the knockout rounds following the demise of Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of Congo and Senegal. Only Morocco have gone through to the last 16.

Algeria have never won a World Cup knockout game in four previous trips to the tournament.

AFP

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

PICTURES: Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has returned to Al Nassr training in Riyadh sporting a striking copper-yellow hairstyle, days after marrying longtime partner Georgina Rodríguez in a private ceremony in Portugal following Portugal’s exit from the 2026 World Cup.

The Portuguese forward posted photos of himself in the club’s training kit on his social media accounts on Thursday, captioning the images simply “Back 🟡🔵”. The pictures showed the 41-year-old with a new copper-yellow hair, a clear departure from the dark brown style he had worn for years, including during Portugal’s World Cup campaign.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo rejoined the squad after Portugal’s exit from the 2026 FIFA World Cup, where the team was eliminated by Spain in the Round of 16. He was granted additional time off by Al Nassr following the tournament and his private civil wedding to Rodríguez on August 11 in Cascais, Portugal.

The intimate ceremony was attended by their five children. The couple, who have been together for nearly a decade, confirmed the marriage with a photograph of their wedding rings.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Last season, Ronaldo helped Al Nassr end a long wait for domestic glory by winning the Saudi Pro League title. He scored 28 league goals as the club finished top with 86 points, two clear of rivals Al Hilal winning his first major trophy with the Riyadh side since joining in late 2022 and Al Nassr’s first league crown since 2019.

 

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Al Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou and teammates welcomed the captain back with applause during a team session, acknowledging both his return and recent marriage, AS the club also posted images of his arrival, teasing fans with the caption asking who had shown up at the training ground.

See also  PHOTOS: Spain World Cup Winners Fabian Ruiz, Gavi Honoured With Body Weight In Tomatoes

Ronaldo now prepares for the new Saudi Pro League season as a married man with Al Nassr preparing to open their title defence against Al Fateh on August 15.

Fans reacted strongly to the post and the fresh look. #SumolaIdowu wrote “Started off a single man, now a married man. Congratulations Cristiano! May your new home last your lifetime.” While #Symplyher14 said “Welcome back to the pitch my GOAT!”

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

#SundayOb posted “Welcome back to the team, time to perform and complete the 1000 goals target.” As #CAgbawe simply noted “That hair Wow!”, #underthetre_e declared “This is absolute GOLD ”.While #D_PenGame added “the GOAT is backkkkk congratulations on your wedding sir.”

The new season marks another chapter for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner as he continues chasing career milestones with Al Nassr.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Four UEFA Super Cup finals played, lost by Unai Emery

Published

on

Unai Emery’s dominance of the UEFA Europa League has been accompanied by an equally striking struggle in the UEFA Super Cup, with his latest defeat against Paris Saint-Germain extending a perfect losing record in the competition.

Emery’s Aston Villa were beaten 2-1 by PSG in Salzburg on Wednesday, despite Brian Madjo’s historic equaliser, leaving the Spanish manager with four defeats from four UEFA Super Cup appearances.

The latest setback came just months after Emery guided Villa to their first major European trophy since 1982, beating Freiburg 3-0 in the Europa League final to claim a record-extending fifth Europa League title.

UEFA describes Emery as the competition’s most successful manager, having won it three times with Sevilla, once with Villarreal and now with Villa.

Yet the Super Cup has repeatedly proved to be his stumbling block.

His first appearance came in 2014, when Sevilla were beaten 2-0 by Real Madrid.

A year later, Sevilla suffered another defeat, losing 5-4 to Barcelona after extra time in one of the competition’s most memorable finals.

UEFA’s official records confirm both results.

Emery returned to the competition in 2021 with Villarreal after winning the Europa League. His side drew 1-1 with Chelsea after extra time before losing 6-5 on penalties.

Five years later, his fourth opportunity ended in another defeat.

PSG took the lead before Villa teenager Madjo levelled shortly before half-time, becoming the youngest scorer in Super Cup history.

Désiré Doué then restored PSG’s lead after the break to secure another European trophy for the French club.

See also  I might not play at 2026 World Cup – Messi

The contrast with Emery’s Europa League record could hardly be sharper.

His five triumphs came in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2021 and 2026, while he has also reached six finals in the competition.

For Villa, however, the defeat does not erase what Emery has achieved. His Europa League success against Freiburg ended the club’s 30-year wait for silverware and restored its status as a major force in European football.

But for Emery personally, the Super Cup remains the one European trophy occasion that continues to elude him — four appearances, four defeats.

FULL LIST: Emery’s four Super Cup defeats

2014: Real Madrid 2-0 Sevilla

2015: Barcelona 5-4 Sevilla (after extra time)

2021: Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal (Chelsea won 6-5 on penalties)

2026: PSG 2-1 Aston Villa

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

La Liga: Barcelona prepare third bid for Rodri

Published

on

Barcelona are set to return with a third proposal for Manchester City midfielder Rodri as negotiations between the two clubs continue.

The Catalan giants have already seen offers worth €50 million and €60 million rejected, but they remain confident of reaching an agreement for the Spain international.

In a post on X on Friday, Fabrizio Romano wrote, “Barcelona are returning with a third proposal for Rodri to Manchester City.”

After €50m and €60m packages both rejected, direct club-to-club talks to continue halfway between €60m last bid and €80m fee requested.

Barça remain confident and optimistic.”

Direct talks between Barcelona and Manchester City are expected to continue, with the next proposal likely to fall somewhere between Barcelona’s latest €60 million offer and City’s reported €80 million asking price.

Barcelona remain optimistic about their chances of completing the deal and are prepared to push forward with negotiations rather than walk away.

The coming days could prove decisive, with both clubs continuing discussions in an effort to find a compromise over Rodri’s valuation.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  ‘Amusan deserves apologies over world record hate’ - Kyle Merber
Continue Reading

Trending