Connect with us

Sports

Egypt file complaint against referee after controversial World Cup exit

Published

on

The Egyptian football federation said Wednesday it had asked for the officiating team who handled the Pharoahs loss 3-2 last-16 to Argentina to be thrown out of the World Cup.

“Hany Aburida, President of the Egyptian Football Federation, filed a complaint with FIFA, demanding an investigation into the French referee Francois Letexier… after the serious refereeing mistakes committed by the team of referees and double standards, which caused the Egypt team to lose the match and leave the World Cup,” said a statement from the federation.

On Tuesday evening, Letexes ruled out a Mostafa Ziko goal ruled out when they were leading 1-0 after VAR intervened to spot a foul on Lisandro Martinez much earlier in the move.

A few minutes later, Ziko did put Egyptian 2-0 up and on the brink of a place in the last eight for the first time but there was further controversy in added time, after Cristian Romero and Lionel Messi had brought the champions level.

In the build-up to Argentina’s winner scored by Enzo Fernandez, Egypt believe they should have instead been awarded a penalty for a pull by Alexis Mac Allister on Hamdy Fathy.

“Aburida demanded the investigation of the entire team of referees, including the video technology referees, because of the blatant errors and insisting on not reviewing some of the footage that we believe are in favour of the Egyptian national team, and we see in it the Pharaohs’ right to a correct goal and a penalty,” said the Egyptian statement.

It added that the president had also “demanded the exclusion of the referee and the entire crew from the World Cup after investigating these mistakes and proving the crime of discrimination against the Egyptian national team”.

See also  Morocco beats Argentina to win FIFA U20 World Cup title

The statement echoed remarks by Egypt coach Hossam Hassan immediately after the game.

“I do not want to put it nicely and talk about hard luck. We have been cheated unfairly today, we have suffered injustice,” Hassan told journalists.

“We haven’t seen respect or fair play. There has not been respect or fair play.”

Hassan told BeIN: “Perhaps they wanted to keep the world champions in the competition. Perhaps they wanted Messi to stay in the running.

“In football, there are sometimes external factors that go beyond the technical aspects. The world champions received support at every level.”

AFP

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Referee’s death during fitness test unfortunate — NFF committee

Published

on

The Nigeria Football Federation Development Committee has described the recent death of a referee during a fitness test in Abuja as an unfortunate incident, saying the official underwent the required medical examinations before participating in the exercise.

Chairman of the committee, Faith Irabor, said there was no negligence in the medical process leading to the referee’s participation in the fitness test.

Irabor made this known in Abuja while addressing newsmen on Friday in Abuja at the ongoing pre-season fitness and technical training for referees ahead of the 2026/27 football season.

She said referees were required to undergo medical examinations, including an electrocardiogram in their respective states before being cleared to participate in the fitness exercise.

“Before we do any physical fitness test, there are conditions.

The referees will do the ECG from their state of origin. The doctors will certify them fit for the exercise.

“When they come here, they meet the medical team here that will also cross-check and certify them that they are fit to do the exercise,” Irabor said.

According to her, the deceased referee presented a medical report signed by a doctor certifying him fit for the exercise.

She said the medical team of the Nigerian Sports Commission also conducted further checks on the referees using a prescribed medical format before they were cleared.

“He brought his medical report. A doctor signed, certifying him fit for the exercise.

“The medical team also certified them fit because there is a pre-format that we gave them to use, and that was what they used. The papers are there,” she said.

See also  WAFCON: Morocco, Senegal renew rivalry in crucial Group A clash

Irabor said officials were also closely monitoring the referees during the physical exercise to respond immediately to any sign of distress.

“Even as they were training, we still followed them as they were training. Everybody stands at alert.

“So, when he was trying to stagger, we saw that and before he fell down, we took him and brought him for resuscitation and they took him to the hospital,” she said.

She also dismissed reports that the ambulance at the venue was not functional when the incident occurred.

“It is not true. The ambulance is working. It was there, and that was what we used to convey him to the hospital.

“We had a standby vehicle and we had an ambulance there. We don’t take people’s lives for granted,” Irabor said.

The chairman described the death as a  very unfortunate event, insisting that all necessary precautions had been taken.

“He had all his records, he was certified by the doctors, and then what happened happened in the field. So, it wasn’t like there was negligence.

“No, there was no negligence at all,” she said.

Irabor, however, said the committee was considering further strengthening the medical screening process to provide additional safeguards for referees.

She said one of the measures being considered was to have referees undergo their medical examinations at the National Hospital rather than relying solely on examinations conducted in their respective states.

“Maybe what we will do, we will be taking more drastic action. Instead of allowing them to come from their home, we go to the National Hospital and ask them to do it, so that all of us will just be on the same page,” she said.

See also  Serie A: Conte to leave Napoli at end of season — Report

Also speaking, an FCT-based Premier League referee, Ayuba Peter, described the incident as unfortunate and said it should not be attributed to negligence.

“This incident that happened was quite an unfortunate one. I wouldn’t say it was negligence on the part of anyone.

“This is not the first time he was undergoing the test. He has been doing it and has been on the list for a long time,” Peter said.
Peter said referees were aware of the intensity of the fitness exercise and were expected to prepare adequately before participating.

Similarly, Akinwale, a referee from Oyo State, said the incident was unfortunate, noting that referees were required to undergo ECG and further medical checks before taking part in the exercise.
“It was just an unfortunate event. Before you come down to this place, you have to do your ECG.

“Once the ECG gives you assurance that you’re okay and can run this race, you bring the ECG down to this place, and the medical team will check it and do the proper check-up for you,” he said.
Akinwale said the incident should be regarded as an unfortunate occurrence despite the medical procedures in place.

NAN

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League

Published

on

Zion Suzuki has had to overcome costly mistakes and racist abuse on the way to becoming the most expensive Japanese goalkeeper in history.

The 23-year-old will be the first Japanese goalkeeper to play in the Premier League when he seals his move to Aston Villa from Italian team Parma for up to 35 million euros ($40 million).

He is set to sign a five-year contract, The Athletic said, with current Villa number one Emiliano Martinez possibly leaving.

Suzuki, who was previously linked with Manchester United, was born in New Jersey to a Ghanaian father and Japanese mother and moved to Japan at a young age.

After coming through Japanese football he moved to Belgium then Italy and has already won 28 caps for his country.

Suzuki, who appeared set to join Champions League winners Paris Saint-Germain before Villa came calling, believes he has the tools to make it in the Premier League.

“Of course big saves are important but above all I want to become a goalkeeper who brings stability to the team,” Suzuki told FIFA’s website ahead of the World Cup, where he played a central role in Japan reaching the last 32.

“Doing the simple things well consistently. Playing with the determination not to concede.”

Suzuki rose through the ranks at J. League side Urawa Reds and made his international debut after only a handful of appearances for his club.

He moved to Belgian side Sint-Truiden in 2023 despite reported interest from United, reasoning that he wanted to get more experience as a first choice.

See also  Morocco beats Argentina to win FIFA U20 World Cup title

He was handed Japan’s number one jersey for the Asian Cup in January 2024 but turned in a series of blundering performances before they were eliminated in the quarter-finals.

The young stopper suffered online racial abuse after a group-stage defeat to Iraq.

Suzuki said of the abuse: “I’m not about to let it beat me.

“I want to come back at them by producing good results.”

– Mental strength –

Suzuki continued as Japan’s number one after the Asian Cup and gradually built up his reputation.

He moved to Parma in 2024 to become the first Japanese goalkeeper to play in Italy’s Serie A.

His team-mates called him “animale” because of his muscular 6ft 3ins frame.

Suzuki broke his hand in late 2025 but returned in time for this summer’s World Cup and excelled as Japan progressed from a group that also included the Netherlands, Tunisia and Sweden.

He again impressed against Brazil in the last 32 but could not prevent his team from going out 2-1 after conceding a 95th-minute winner to Gabriel Martinelli.

His imminent transfer to Villa means he will become only the second Japanese goalkeeper to play in English professional football, following Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi’s short stint with second-tier Portsmouth in the early 2000s.

Suzuki, whose first language is Japanese but speaks English, says he learnt from his early shortcomings.

“At the beginning I made a series of mistakes and showed my inexperience as Japan’s first-choice goalkeeper,” he told FIFA’s website.

“Now I feel I can bring a sense of stability to the team through my mentality.”

See also  Serie A: Conte to leave Napoli at end of season — Report

Speaking as his reputation grew in Serie A, Suzuki said his aim was to be the best goalkeeper in the world.

“I want to be the best both as an individual and as a team, winning titles like the Champions League and World Cup,” he said.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Liverpool need more wingers, says Iraola

Published

on

Andoni Iraola admits Liverpool need to sign more wingers as they get used to life without Egypt star Mohamed Salah.

Iraola will take charge of his first Premier League game as Liverpool manager at Newcastle on Sunday after arriving from Bournemouth to replace the sacked Arne Slot in the close-season.

The trip to St James’ Park also marks the start of Liverpool’s first season without Salah since 2016-17.

Salah joined Turkish club Trabzonspor earlier in August, bringing down the curtain on the forward’s iconic Anfield career, which featured 257 goals and multiple trophies including Premier League and Champions League titles.

With Hugo Ekitike injured and doubts over Cody Gakpo’s Liverpool future, Iraola has limited options to support Alexander Isak in attack.

The Reds signed Victor Munoz in the summer and also have Federico Chiesa and teenager Rio Ngumoha, but Iraola would prefer to bring in more players on the flanks.

“In terms of what we need, there are certain situations that, for me, are clear, especially on the wing because we do not have enough players able to play in those positions,” the Spaniard told reporters on Friday.

“Beyond those positions, I think we have to be open-minded in the market and look at situations that can improve our team.

“It is not about signing a player because we need someone in a particular position. No. It is about improving the squad. We have very good players already here, so to improve, you need a specific level of player.”

See also  See full list of top 10 players to watch out for in UEFA CL semi-final

• ‘Lost a lot’ –

Salah’s exit is a major blow for Liverpool regardless of his poor form last season.

Ibrahima Konate and Andrew Robertson also departed for Real Madrid and Tottenham respectively.

Iraola is having to rebuild a squad that finished fifth in the Premier League last season, just 12 months after winning the title.

“We lost a lot in terms of experience, high-level players who have performed so well for so many years here but I think it is also a natural thing in clubs,” he said.

“I think we have a lot of young players willing to take those minutes and ready to take those leadership roles. Overall, I am very happy with the attitude of the players in the pre-season.”

Iraola earned plaudits for leading Bournemouth to European qualification last season with his astute tactics and high-energy style of play.

He will be tasked with mounting a title challenge while restoring the entertaining approach lost during Slot’s difficult second season.

Landing his preferred targets before the transfer window shuts on September 1 would ease Iraola’s acclimation to life on Merseyside.

“You understand how the competition works, that the market is open when you start the season,” he said.

“We have to adapt as coaches to this situation because there is a lot of uncertainty. Not just at Liverpool, but everywhere, because the market is open. But we have to adapt.

“Honestly, I don’t spend too much time thinking about these things. I know that you will spend a lot of time asking me about the market and this, but I am focused on the game against Newcastle. That is massive for me.

See also  NFF blasts Cyriel Dessers, faults Ekong after Eagles’ draw with South Africa

“You have seen the very good players that we have right now in the building, so we can be competitive from the beginning.”

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending