Connect with us

Sports

Barca face Espanyol derby dilemma ahead of Atletico return

Published

on

In the wake of Barcelona’s Champions League quarter-final first leg defeat by Atletico Madrid, coach Hansi Flick faces a dilemma for Saturday’s La Liga derby clash against Espanyol.

With the champions seven points clear of second-placed Real Madrid at the top of the table, Flick may be tempted to rotate heavily ahead of Tuesday’s crucial second leg visit to face Atletico, trailing 2-0.

Alvaro Arbeloa’s Madrid hosts Girona on Friday and could cut the gap down to four points with a victory, which would make Flick’s choice harder.

Los Blancos are also in a tough spot following their 2-1 defeat by Bayern Munich in the Champions League, but have a bigger gap between the Girona game and the second leg in Bavaria next Wednesday.

“We have also a derby in three days on Saturday, our next match, it’s also important for us to win,” said Flick.

“We will see, we will analyse everything, what kind of options we have.”

The worst-case scenario would be suffering a first league defeat at Camp Nou since its reopening before being eliminated from the Champions League anyway in the Spanish capital.

With the league Clasico against Real Madrid on May 10 appearing on the horizon, Flick is keen to maintain Barca’s lead, but the Champions League may take precedence.

Several players who have been reserves for much of the season, like Ronald Araujo, Marc Casado and Roony Bardghji, could come into the side to take on an Espanyol team in free-fall.

After a strong start to the season, Manolo Gonzalez’s team have failed to win in 2026, which began with a 2-0 home defeat by Barca that set off their slump.

See also  AFCON 2025: Super Eagles hit $25,000 goals bonus after win over Tunisia

Midfielder Pedri Gonzalez is fundamental for Barca but came off at half-time in the defeat by Atletico, with a minor physical issue.

“Pedri had some problems. No big problems but in this situation we need him (going forwards) — so we made the decision to take him off the pitch,” said Flick.

Flick will hope to have midfielder Frenkie de Jong available for the second leg at Atletico and the Dutchman returned to training this week after a hamstring injury.

The Dutchman has a chance of being included in the squad to face Espanyol, while Barca can also find encouragement in Gavi’s performance against Atletico as a substitute.

It could buy the 21-year-old more game time at the weekend as he continues to find fitness following a long injury lay-off. “Gavi had a fantastic game,” said Flick.

Atletico Madrid visit Sevilla on Saturday and Diego Simeone is certain to rest several key players.

The Argentine coach has been focused on the cup competitions in recent weeks with his team fourth in La Liga and unlikely to slip with Real Betis 12 points behind in fifth.

Player to watch: Vedat Muriqi

Mallorca’s Kosovan target man Muriqi scored a vital goal last week to help the team beat Real Madrid and boost their chances of avoiding relegation. The forward has 19 goals this season, trailing only La Liga’s top goalscorer Kylian Mbappe and will look to add to his tally against Rayo Vallecano on Sunday in another important game.

Key stats

0 – shots on target for struggling Sevilla last weekend against Real Oviedo.

See also  Morocco beats Argentina to win FIFA U20 World Cup title

12 – no goalkeeper has more clean sheets than Barca’s Joan Garcia.

58 – fouls committed by Real Sociedad defender Jon Aramburu, the most in the top flight.

Fixtures

Friday (all times GMT)

Real Madrid v Girona (1900)

Saturday

Real Sociedad v Alaves (1200), Elche v Valencia (1415), Barcelona v Espanyol (1630), Sevilla v Atletico Madrid (1900)

Sunday

Osasuna v Real Betis (1200), Mallorca v Rayo Vallecano (1415), Celta Vigo v Real Oviedo (1630), Athletic Bilbao v Villarreal (1900)

Monday

Levante v Getafe (1900)

AFP

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

PICTURES: Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has returned to Al Nassr training in Riyadh sporting a striking copper-yellow hairstyle, days after marrying longtime partner Georgina Rodríguez in a private ceremony in Portugal following Portugal’s exit from the 2026 World Cup.

The Portuguese forward posted photos of himself in the club’s training kit on his social media accounts on Thursday, captioning the images simply “Back 🟡🔵”. The pictures showed the 41-year-old with a new copper-yellow hair, a clear departure from the dark brown style he had worn for years, including during Portugal’s World Cup campaign.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo rejoined the squad after Portugal’s exit from the 2026 FIFA World Cup, where the team was eliminated by Spain in the Round of 16. He was granted additional time off by Al Nassr following the tournament and his private civil wedding to Rodríguez on August 11 in Cascais, Portugal.

The intimate ceremony was attended by their five children. The couple, who have been together for nearly a decade, confirmed the marriage with a photograph of their wedding rings.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Last season, Ronaldo helped Al Nassr end a long wait for domestic glory by winning the Saudi Pro League title. He scored 28 league goals as the club finished top with 86 points, two clear of rivals Al Hilal winning his first major trophy with the Riyadh side since joining in late 2022 and Al Nassr’s first league crown since 2019.

 

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Al Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou and teammates welcomed the captain back with applause during a team session, acknowledging both his return and recent marriage, AS the club also posted images of his arrival, teasing fans with the caption asking who had shown up at the training ground.

See also  AFCON 2025: Super Eagles hit $25,000 goals bonus after win over Tunisia

Ronaldo now prepares for the new Saudi Pro League season as a married man with Al Nassr preparing to open their title defence against Al Fateh on August 15.

Fans reacted strongly to the post and the fresh look. #SumolaIdowu wrote “Started off a single man, now a married man. Congratulations Cristiano! May your new home last your lifetime.” While #Symplyher14 said “Welcome back to the pitch my GOAT!”

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

#SundayOb posted “Welcome back to the team, time to perform and complete the 1000 goals target.” As #CAgbawe simply noted “That hair Wow!”, #underthetre_e declared “This is absolute GOLD ”.While #D_PenGame added “the GOAT is backkkkk congratulations on your wedding sir.”

The new season marks another chapter for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner as he continues chasing career milestones with Al Nassr.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Four UEFA Super Cup finals played, lost by Unai Emery

Published

on

Unai Emery’s dominance of the UEFA Europa League has been accompanied by an equally striking struggle in the UEFA Super Cup, with his latest defeat against Paris Saint-Germain extending a perfect losing record in the competition.

Emery’s Aston Villa were beaten 2-1 by PSG in Salzburg on Wednesday, despite Brian Madjo’s historic equaliser, leaving the Spanish manager with four defeats from four UEFA Super Cup appearances.

The latest setback came just months after Emery guided Villa to their first major European trophy since 1982, beating Freiburg 3-0 in the Europa League final to claim a record-extending fifth Europa League title.

UEFA describes Emery as the competition’s most successful manager, having won it three times with Sevilla, once with Villarreal and now with Villa.

Yet the Super Cup has repeatedly proved to be his stumbling block.

His first appearance came in 2014, when Sevilla were beaten 2-0 by Real Madrid.

A year later, Sevilla suffered another defeat, losing 5-4 to Barcelona after extra time in one of the competition’s most memorable finals.

UEFA’s official records confirm both results.

Emery returned to the competition in 2021 with Villarreal after winning the Europa League. His side drew 1-1 with Chelsea after extra time before losing 6-5 on penalties.

Five years later, his fourth opportunity ended in another defeat.

PSG took the lead before Villa teenager Madjo levelled shortly before half-time, becoming the youngest scorer in Super Cup history.

Désiré Doué then restored PSG’s lead after the break to secure another European trophy for the French club.

See also  From Ronaldo, Messi to Rice: Top stars to watch at 2026 World Cup

The contrast with Emery’s Europa League record could hardly be sharper.

His five triumphs came in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2021 and 2026, while he has also reached six finals in the competition.

For Villa, however, the defeat does not erase what Emery has achieved. His Europa League success against Freiburg ended the club’s 30-year wait for silverware and restored its status as a major force in European football.

But for Emery personally, the Super Cup remains the one European trophy occasion that continues to elude him — four appearances, four defeats.

FULL LIST: Emery’s four Super Cup defeats

2014: Real Madrid 2-0 Sevilla

2015: Barcelona 5-4 Sevilla (after extra time)

2021: Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal (Chelsea won 6-5 on penalties)

2026: PSG 2-1 Aston Villa

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

La Liga: Barcelona prepare third bid for Rodri

Published

on

Barcelona are set to return with a third proposal for Manchester City midfielder Rodri as negotiations between the two clubs continue.

The Catalan giants have already seen offers worth €50 million and €60 million rejected, but they remain confident of reaching an agreement for the Spain international.

In a post on X on Friday, Fabrizio Romano wrote, “Barcelona are returning with a third proposal for Rodri to Manchester City.”

After €50m and €60m packages both rejected, direct club-to-club talks to continue halfway between €60m last bid and €80m fee requested.

Barça remain confident and optimistic.”

Direct talks between Barcelona and Manchester City are expected to continue, with the next proposal likely to fall somewhere between Barcelona’s latest €60 million offer and City’s reported €80 million asking price.

Barcelona remain optimistic about their chances of completing the deal and are prepared to push forward with negotiations rather than walk away.

The coming days could prove decisive, with both clubs continuing discussions in an effort to find a compromise over Rodri’s valuation.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  AFCON 2025: Super Eagles hit $25,000 goals bonus after win over Tunisia
Continue Reading

Trending