Connect with us

News

NSIB reveals why jet landed on Asaba construction road

Published

on

The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau has revealed that the private jet which mistakenly landed on a road under construction near Asaba Airport in Delta State had discontinued its initial landing attempt before making a second approach that ended with the aircraft touching down on the wrong surface.

The Bureau made the disclosure in a preliminary report released on Friday on the June 10 incident involving a Bombardier Challenger 601-3A aircraft, with registration number N989BC, operated by VMO Aero Limited.

The aircraft was flying under Instrument Flight Rules from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, to Asaba Airport when the incident occurred.

According to the report, the crew abandoned their first approach into Asaba Airport, repositioned the aircraft for another approach to Runway 11 and believed they were correctly aligned with the published RNAV approach procedure.

“The flight crew reported that the aircraft’s navigation indications displayed the aircraft as established on the published RNAV Runway 11 approach,” the report stated.

Despite this, the aircraft landed on a paved road under construction close to the airport instead of the designated runway.

The Bureau said the aircraft had seven occupants on board, comprising four crew members and three passengers, adding that no injuries were recorded.

The report stated that after the aircraft came to a stop, it was shut down and inspected before the passengers disembarked safely.

“The aircraft subsequently departed from the roadway and returned to Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, without further reported operational abnormalities. A post-flight examination identified damage to the left nose-wheel assembly,” the report said.

The NSIB explained that the preliminary findings were based on information obtained from the flight crew, witnesses, air traffic control records, operational documents, examination of the aircraft, and data extracted from the Cockpit Voice Recorder and Flight Data Recorder.

See also  Woman arrested for plotting to kidnap, assassinate Trump

“The recorders were retrieved and downloaded at the Bureau’s Transport Safety Laboratory in Abuja. Technical examinations and further analysis remain ongoing,” the report added.

The latest findings come weeks after the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, dismissed speculation that the aircraft suffered a mechanical fault.

Speaking on Politics Tonight, a TVC programme, Keyamo said the aircraft had received clearance to land at Asaba Airport before controllers lost visual contact with it.

He stated, “The tower in Asaba cleared them to land. After about two minutes, the tower called and said, ‘Where is your location? I can’t see you again. I can’t see you on the tarmac.’

“But they (the pilots) said they had landed, so the tower asked, ‘Landed where?’ I can see the whole of the runway and aprons, but you are not there.

“So, they said they landed on a roadway that they saw. It happened that it was a construction site very close to the airport. They saw a beautiful road there that looked like a runway and landed there.

“Before they (relevant agency) could go there and ask questions, they (pilots) took off to Lagos after dropping their passengers. There was no mechanical failure, and that was why they could take off again. However, those facts are before the Department of State Service, DSS. It has gone beyond aviation; it is now a security concern. Security agencies are looking into that, and there are reports they will first send it to Mr President because it is a matter of national security.”

The NSIB noted that investigations into the occurrence are still in progress and that the preliminary report is intended to present the facts gathered so far without assigning responsibility or determining the probable cause of the incident.

See also  Labour Party Chairman attacked at Abuja airport

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings

Published

on

Britain, Canada and Australia on Friday condemned as “shameful” Israel’s decision to close an investigation into the death of seven aid workers killed in Gaza in 2024.

The World Central Kitchen employees — three Britons, a dual US-Canadian national, a Pole, an Australian and a Palestinian — died in a drone strike on their vehicle convoy after overseeing the unloading of a food aid shipment.

Israel’s military called the incident a “tragic mistake.”

“In the more than two years since, we have been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account,” the three nations said in a joint statement.

“The announcement by the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) on 19 August 2026 that it would not pursue criminal investigations into this strike, without further explanation, is shameful,” it said.

The incident in April 2024 sparked global outrage and renewed calls to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

“Announcing this decision on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honoured the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious,” the joint statement added.

The Israeli military acknowledged a series of errors at various levels of command, but a preliminary investigation concluded on Wednesday that there was no “reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct.”

“Israel extends its condolences to the families of the seven World Central Kitchen aid workers… who tragically lost their lives under deeply regrettable circumstances,” Israel’s foreign ministry posted on X on Friday.

It said the decision not to launch a criminal probe “was made by Israel’s independent military prosecution authorities on the basis of strict professional and legal considerations.”

See also  Monopoly fears rise as Dangote controls N14.4tn petrol market

“We remain committed to the safety of humanitarian personnel, compliance with international humanitarian law and preventing such tragedies from recurring,” it added.

The US-based World Central Kitchen condemned the decision not to launch a criminal investigation, calling it “inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive.”

It demanded an independent commission to investigate the airstrikes “because the IDF cannot credibly investigate its own conduct.”

On Thursday, Australia expressed outrage at the closure of the investigation and summoned Israel’s ambassador to the country.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

Published

on

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has asked a US court for permission to submit a confidential declaration explaining why it is withholding some records relating to allegations linking President Bola Tinubu to a drug-trafficking investigation.

The FBI made the request in an application dated August 20 before the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, saying it could not publicly disclose the full reasons for withholding certain information.

An ex parte, in camera declaration is a submission made privately to a judge for consideration without being placed on the public record.

The application was published on X on Thursday by Von Batten-Montague-York, a Washington-based lobbying firm recently hired by former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar.

The FBI said it had invoked various exemptions under the US Freedom of Information Act in response to requests for records relating to Tinubu from 1992 to 1993.

According to the agency, releasing the withheld information “would, among other things, disclose techniques and procedures for law enforcement investigations and/or could reasonably be expected to endanger the life or physical safety of any individual”.

Part of the FBI’s application reads: “One of the requests at issue is the request assigned Request Number 1588244-000, which sought “[t]he entire FBI file for Bola Ahmed Tinubu, DOB 3/29/1952, President-Elect of Nigeria as of February 2023”.

“Plaintiff submitted a second FOIA request to the FBI seeking “FBI 302 interviews with Bola Tinubu from FBI Case No. 245-IP-71386-UUUUUU during the timeframe 1992-1993”.

“This was assigned Request Number 1593615-000. The FBI has invoked various Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Exemptions, including 6, 7(C), 7(D), 7(E) and 7(F) regarding these requests, and determined the information withheld from Plaintiff in this case, if disclosed, would, among other things, disclose techniques and procedures for law enforcement investigations and/or could reasonably be expected to endanger the life or physical safety of any individual.

See also  Court sentences Nnamdi Kanu to life imprisonment

“The FBI has determined that it cannot provide on the public record the full basis for the application of Exemptions 7(E) and 7(F) to certain withholdings and that, therefore, an ex parte, under seal declaration is necessary.”

The FBI said that if the court granted its request, it would submit the confidential declaration explaining the reasons for withholding the information before August 28.

The plaintiff in the case is Aaron Greenspan, an American businessman and founder of PlainSite.

The development came after the US Department of Justice sought an additional 10-day extension to respond to a court order concerning the release of records linked to allegations involving Tinubu.

However, Judge Beryl Howell granted only four additional days, moving the deadline to August 21.

 

 

Tinubu, through his legal team, subsequently joined the DOJ’s request for an additional 10-day extension. Howell, however, declined the request.

Between 2022 and 2023, Greenspan filed 12 Freedom of Information Act requests with six US federal agencies, seeking records from investigations into a Chicago heroin ring that operated in the early 1990s.

He sought records concerning four individuals whom he said were linked to the drug ring, including Tinubu, Lee Andrew Edwards, Mueez Adegboyega Akande and Abiodun Agbele.

Five of the agencies responded that they could neither confirm nor deny the existence of the requested records.

Dissatisfied with the responses, Greenspan approached the Department of Justice’s Office of Information Policy.

The OIP upheld the agencies’ refusal to confirm or deny the existence of the requested records, according to court documents.

See also  Woman arrested for plotting to kidnap, assassinate Trump

On June 12, 2023, Greenspan filed a lawsuit challenging the agencies’ use of what is known as a Glomar response to his FOIA requests.

A Glomar response is an official refusal by a US government agency to confirm or deny whether requested records exist.

The FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration, Internal Revenue Service, Executive Office for United States Attorneys and Department of State were initially named as defendants.

The Central Intelligence Agency was later added as a defendant in the first amended complaint.

In April 2025, Howell ruled that the responses issued by the FBI and DEA were “improper and must be lifted”.

The judge held that the two agencies had failed to establish a sufficient privacy interest to justify keeping secret the fact that Tinubu was a subject of a criminal investigation.

Howell also held that the FBI and DEA had failed to provide enough evidence to justify maintaining their Glomar responses.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Over 46 bodies recovered in Sokoto boat accident

Published

on

At least 46 bodies have so far been recovered following a boat accident in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, the state Police Command has confirmed.

The accident occurred on Thursday when a boat carrying 77 passengers, including men, women and children, reportedly capsized in the community.

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said 46 corpses had been recovered while 15 passengers were rescued alive.

Rufai said rescue operations were still ongoing, with security agencies and emergency responders searching for the remaining 16 passengers.

According to him, the rescue team comprises local divers, officials of the National Emergency Management Agency, the State Emergency Management Agency and the Police.

He said, “46 corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive. The rescue team, comprising local divers, NEMA, SEMA and the Police, is still searching for the remaining 16 persons.”

The police spokesman added that “77 persons were on board the boat at the time of the incident.”

The development has thrown Gorau community into mourning, with families anxiously waiting for information about their loved ones.

The latest incident occurred exactly one year after a similar boat accident in Kijio community, also in Goronyo Local Government Area.

Earlier, a resident of Gorau who spoke on condition of anonymity said the accident occurred Thursday morning, although the casualty figure was initially difficult to establish.

The resident said, “Only a few people were initially reported rescued, while several bodies were recovered from the water. Rescue efforts are ongoing as local divers and emergency responders continue searching for those still missing.”

See also  Lagos enforces 5% tax on gaming winnings

The resident appealed to the authorities to intensify the rescue operation, saying many families were still waiting anxiously for news of their relatives.

Meanwhile, a senior NEMA official who identified himself simply as Alhaji Ibrahim told our correspondent that the agency had mobilised personnel to the community.

He said, “Our officials are currently on their way to the community to join the rescue operation.”

The cause of the accident was not immediately known, while rescue operations continued as of the time of filing this report.

Meanwhile, the African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Hon. Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, has expressed deep sorrow over the boat accident in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area.

Reacting to the tragedy in a statement issued by his Media Aide, Aminu Abdullahi, Dan’iya described the incident as a “devastating tragedy,” particularly as some of the passengers were reportedly children between the ages of 10 and 15 travelling with farmers and labourers.

He said, “I am deeply saddened by this tragic incident and the loss of precious lives in Gorau. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost their loved ones and those whose relatives are still missing.”

The ADC candidate commended local divers and residents participating in the rescue operation, while urging the Sokoto State Government and relevant emergency agencies to immediately deploy additional personnel, medical teams and rescue equipment to the affected community.

Dan’iya also called for proper identification and documentation of victims to enable their families to receive appropriate assistance.

He said the incident had exposed the urgent need to provide safer means of transportation for farming communities located around waterways.

See also  Fubara fires commissioners, Assembly awaits new list

“This tragedy highlights the urgent need for safer means of transportation for our farming communities. No farmer should have to risk his or her life simply to access a farm and provide food for the family,” he said.

Dan’iya called for a comprehensive assessment of waterways in the state, provision of properly regulated boats and life jackets, training of boat operators, emergency response equipment and the construction of bridges or alternative crossings where necessary.

According to him, “The safety and welfare of rural communities must remain a fundamental responsibility of government, especially when citizens are travelling to their farms to produce food and sustain their families.”

He further pledged that an ADC administration in Sokoto would prioritise rural infrastructure, agricultural development and community safety.

Dan’iya extended his condolences to the families of the deceased, the Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government and the people of Sokoto State.

He prayed for the repose of the souls of the victims and urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with emergency responders as the search and rescue operation continues.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending