Connect with us

Crime

Hoodlums kill Lagos dispatch rider for resisting extortion

Published

on

A 32-year-old dispatch rider, Emmanuel Jegede, has lost his life after suspected hoodlums allegedly pushed him off his motorcycle while attempting to extort him along the Ikotun-Idimu Road in the Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the incident occurred on Wednesday around 10am after the rider completed a delivery and was heading to another destination.

On getting to the Alhaja end of the road, two suspected hoodlums who were planning to extort him suddenly pushed him while in motion.

An eyewitness who spoke to PUNCH Metro on the condition of anonymity, citing personal reasons, said the rider rammed into the median in the process and died on the spot.

“The rider was passing through the Ikotun-Idimu road, and when he got to Alhaja, two hoodlums who usually stay around the junction tried to stop him and suddenly pushed him while he was in motion.

“He lost control of the motorcycle, veered off the road and rammed into the median. By the time people got to the spot to rescue him, he had already died,” the source disclosed.

Another eyewitness who spoke to PUNCH Metro said the deceased had earlier been involved in a minor collision with a tricycle rider after emerging from a street in the area.

Residents and some youths, including the suspected hoodlums, reportedly intervened and resolved the dispute amicably.

However, the hoodlums allegedly demanded money from the dispatch rider for mediating the matter.

The eyewitness, who pleaded not to be named for security reasons, said the rider explained that he had no money on him, adding that the response angered the suspected hoodlums.

See also  PHOTOS: Five Nigerians and six Ghanaians arrested for allegedly using deepfake AI-generated video to impersonate President Mahama

He said, “The man had just finished making a delivery and was on his way to another location. Earlier, while coming out of a street, he mistakenly hit a tricycle rider. People in the area, including the boys, intervened and settled the issue.

“After everything was resolved, the boys demanded that he should settle them for helping him. He told them he did not have any money. They then crossed to the other side of the road and waited for him before pushing him in the process.”

The source noted that his chest hit the culvert with great force, leading to his instant death.

It was gathered that the hoodlums also fled the scene immediately after the incident.

The policemen from the Idimu Police Division were later said to have arrived at the scene and evacuated the corpse.

As of the time of filing this report, the identity of the deceased has yet to be established.

When contacted on Wednesday, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command, Abimbola Adebisi, confirmed the incident.

She said investigations were ongoing to determine the circumstances surrounding the rider’s death.

She said, “A Federal Road Safety Corps officer came to the station and reported that he had seen a corpse at the scene of the accident. Our officers immediately visited the location and found the lifeless body of the victim alongside his motorcycle.

“When the police spoke with people in the area, we got two different versions of what happened. One account claimed that a pedestrian was trying to cross the road, and the rider lost control while attempting to avoid hitting the person.

See also  Stray bullet kills Osun graduate after NYSC call-up

“The second version was that some boys fled the scene immediately after the accident, raising suspicion that they might have attacked or pushed the rider before he crashed.

She added that the police were investigating the incident and working to obtain CCTV footage from the area to determine exactly what happened.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Soldiers rescue kidnap victim, foil terrorist attack in Kaduna, Sokoto

Published

on

Troops of the Joint Task Force North-West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have rescued a kidnap victim in Kaduna State and foiled a terrorist attack in Sokoto State.

The military disclosed this in a statement issued on Friday by the Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force, Lt. Col. Aliyu Danja.

According to Danja, troops of Sector 1 rescued a 43-year-old man abducted around Awon Community in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State on Thursday.

He said the troops responded to a distress call and immediately moved into the area, forcing the terrorists to abandon their victim and flee into the surrounding bushes.

“The troops swiftly moved into the area and pursued the terrorists into the surrounding bushes, compelling them to abandon their captive and flee,” Danja said.

He added that the rescued victim was subsequently reunited with his family.

In a separate operation on Friday, troops of Sector 2, working with local security personnel, foiled an attack on Kwaren Gamba Village in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

Danja said the troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw from the community in disarray.

He stated that troops subsequently pursued the fleeing terrorists, during which one terrorist was neutralised.

According to him, the troops also recovered two mobile phones, cash, an ATM card, recharge cards and other items from the scene.

Danja said the latest operations demonstrated the military’s continued efforts to deny terrorists freedom of action across the North-West.

“The Joint Task Force North-West Operation FANSAN YAMMA remains resolute in sustaining the tempo of ongoing operations to deny terrorists freedom of action and create a safer environment for communities across the Joint Operations Area,” he said.

See also  NIS arrests suspected human trafficker, rescues 59 women and children in Borno

He assured residents that troops would continue to respond decisively to emerging security threats.

“The Theatre Command reassures the public that troops will continue to respond decisively to emerging threats,” he added.

The military spokesman also urged residents to remain vigilant and provide timely and credible information to security forces to support ongoing operations.

He said such cooperation remained critical to efforts to restore lasting peace and security across the region.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of one George Buchi Nwabueze and the suspension of three permanent secretaries over the discovery of another fake agency operating within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

They include M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare, and Richard P. Pheelangwah.

Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN disclosed this to State House correspondents on Friday after briefing the President for the second time in two days, following an earlier meeting on Thursday.

Aliyu said the newly uncovered fake office, operating under the name “National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office,” had been illegally allocated office space within the premises of the OSGF, contrary to extant laws and without presidential authorisation.

He said, “Upon further briefing by ICPC to Mr President on the ongoing investigations into the fake Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council and procedural weaknesses in the public service, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has uncovered another fake agency and office operating under the name National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, which has been illegally allocated office space within the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation,” Aliyu said.

He said the discovery emerged in the course of the commission’s broader investigation, as earlier directed by President Tinubu, and identified the promoter of the fake office as one Prince George Buchi Nwabueze, who was found to be operating under multiple aliases.

See also  NIS arrests suspected human trafficker, rescues 59 women and children in Borno

“The fake agency office, National Brands Development and Made in Nigeria Special Project Office, was promoted by one George Buchi Nwabueze, with active suspected collaborators in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, contrary to extant laws and without authorisation of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“The promoter was discovered to also operate under four other variations of his name: George Nathan, George Nathan Nwabueze, Honourable George Buchi Nwabueze, Prince George Buchi Nwabueze and George Nwabueze,” Aliyu said.

He revealed that the ICPC had engaged the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to ascertain vital information relating to the fake office under investigation, and had comprehensively briefed the President on the new developments.

“I have briefed Mr President comprehensively on these new developments. ICPC will continue with its investigations accordingly,” he said.

Aliyu said following the discovery, “Mr President has directed as follows: the immediate arrest of Prince George Buchi Nwabueze; the immediate suspension of the following permanent secretaries; M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare, and Richard P. Pheelangwah,” he said.

Friday’s development is the latest in a scandal that began with the exposure of the fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, whose self-styled Director-General, Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, is currently facing prosecution on charges of forgery and impersonation.

The ICPC’s interim report, submitted to the President on August 6 after a 30-day investigation, had earlier disclosed the existence of two other fictitious bodies, the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public-Private Partnership.

See also  EFCC, NFIU launch crackdown on alleged coup funders

The National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office is the fourth fake agency uncovered after the PFIFC scandal since early April.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

EFCC withdraws cybercrime charges against BUK student

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has withdrawn the charges against a final-year student of Bayero University, Kano, Maryam Shehu, and another Nigerian, Abubakar Abdulhamad, who were arraigned for alleged cybercrime and peddling malicious information against the commission.

The two defendants were arraigned separately before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday.

The commission had accused Shehu of publishing a social media post on June 21 alleging that EFCC officials assaulted one Ahmed Uthman on the instruction of a zonal director who allegedly collected N20m from one Usman Abbas.

The EFCC said the publication was intended to tarnish its reputation and constituted an offence under Section 24(2)(c) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024.

Abdulhamad was also charged under the same provision over a separate allegation.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to them.

However, the EFCC in a statement on Friday by its spokesman, Dele Oyewale, said the Executive Chairman of the commission, Ola Olukoyede, directed the withdrawal of the charges following appeals for leniency and an apology from Shehu’s father, as well as pleas from well-meaning Nigerians

Oyewale said although the commission considered the alleged cyberstalking to be contrary to the Cybercrimes Act, the chairman was moved by the appeals and apologies presented on behalf of the defendants.

The statement read, “ The Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ola Olukoyede has compassionately ordered the withdrawal of charges preferred against Maryam Isah Shehu and Abubakar Shuraim Abdulhamad, who were, on Thurday August 21, 2026 arraigned before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, Abuja , for alleged cybercrime and peddling malicious information against the Commission.

See also  EFCC, NFIU launch crackdown on alleged coup funders

“While the Commission considered the arraignment of the two defendants for cyber stalking to be contrary to Section 24(2) (c) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc) Act, 2015 (As Amended) 2024 and punishable under Section 24 (2) (c) (ii) of the same Act, the Executive Chairman, nonetheless, considered the passionate pleas and apologies of Shehu’s father and appeals of well-meaning Nigerians for leniency.

“To this end, he has directed that charges filed against the two young Nigerians be dropped and warned that the EFCC would no longer tolerate any wilful attack on its image in any form, medium or platform.

“The EFCC’s boss assured Nigerians that the Commission would continue to function in line with its assigned mandate and in the best interests of the nation”.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending