Connect with us

News

Nigeria condemns G’Bissau coup, Jonathan evacuated by special flight

Published

on

Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is safe and has left Guinea-Bissau following a military coup that toppled the country’s government, the Federal Government confirmed on Thursday.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, told journalists in Abuja, “Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is very safe and out of Guinea-Bissau. He left with a special flight with members of his delegation, including Mohamed Chambas.”

Jonathan had been in Guinea-Bissau leading the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission during last Sunday’s presidential and legislative elections when the military announced it had seized power.

Earlier, the House of Representatives urged President Bola Tinubu’s government to take urgent diplomatic action to ensure Jonathan’s safety.

Deputy Speaker, Benjamin Kalu, highlighted the matter during plenary, describing it as an “important emergency.”

House Leader, Prof. Julius Ihonvbere, briefed lawmakers, noting Jonathan’s extensive experience as an election observer in countries including Zimbabwe, Liberia, Ghana, Mozambique, Pakistan, Tanzania, and South Africa.

He said, “Currently, he is trapped in Guinea-Bissau because of the coup. From my own investigations, the government is aware and they are doing everything possible to get him back as quickly and safely as possible. Our goal is to urge the government not to relent in that effort to use all diplomatic means to get a former president, a true democrat, back to Nigeria immediately.”

Minority Leader, Kingsley Chinda, also supported the call, describing Jonathan as “one of the best civilian presidents” Nigeria has produced.

He added, “The importance we attach to his life should also be attached to the life of every other Nigerian, whether a former president or not, whether at home or abroad.

See also  Tinubu excludes drug, human trafficking, kidnapping convicts as he reviews pardon list

That said, I fully support that the government should do everything possible to ensure that former President Jonathan returns home safely.”

Following the discussion, the House unanimously adopted a resolution urging the Federal Government to activate all necessary diplomatic channels for Jonathan’s immediate evacuation.

On Wednesday, military officers in Guinea-Bissau declared they had seized “total control” of the country, arresting incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embaló, suspending the electoral process, and shutting the country’s borders.

The military cited “national instability,” “electoral irregularities,” and the need to restore order.

Heavy gunfire was reported near the presidential palace, soldiers blocked major access routes, and a curfew was imposed.

The National Electoral Commission reported being attacked by unidentified armed men.

The coup came just before the official release of results from the 23 November presidential election, after both leading candidates had claimed victory.

The military also arrested opposition leader Domingos Simões Pereira, barred from the election by the Supreme Court, as well as several senior military and government officials, including the chief of staff and the minister of the interior.

The Federal Government condemned the coup in strong terms, describing it as a serious threat to democracy and regional stability.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated, “The Federal Government condemns this act of military insurrection, which undermines the democratic progress, constitutional order, and stability not only of Guinea-Bissau but of the entire West African sub-region. This represents a blatant violation of the fundamental principles of the Economic Community of West African States Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance, which explicitly rejects any ascension to power through unconstitutional means.”

See also  Shehu Sani backs Remi Tinubu over US air strikes in Sokoto

Nigeria expressed solidarity with the people of Guinea-Bissau, calling for the “immediate and unconditional restoration of constitutional order, the safety and security of all those detained and the full respect for the sanctity of democratic institutions in Guinea-Bissau.”

Jonathan, together with former Mozambique President Filipe Nyusi, and Issifu Kamara, head of the ECOWAS Election Observation Mission, condemned the military’s actions in a joint statement, describing the coup as “a direct attempt to disrupt Guinea-Bissau’s democratic process.”

They appealed for calm among residents and reaffirmed their commitment to supporting Guinea-Bissau “during this sensitive period,” stressing “the importance of preserving peace, stability, and the well-being of the Bissau-Guinean people.”

On Thursday, the military appointed General Horta N’Tam, the army’s chief of staff, to lead the country for one year. N’Tam, who has served close to President Embaló, said at a press conference, “I have just been sworn in to lead the High Command. These actions are necessary to block operations that aimed to threaten our democracy. Evidence was sufficient to justify the operation, and necessary measures are urgent and important and require everyone’s participation.”

Guinea-Bissau, one of the world’s poorest nations and a major hub for drug trafficking between Latin America and Europe, has faced repeated political instability, with four successful coups and several attempted takeovers since independence in 1974.

The 2025 polls were conducted amid heightened tension, with over 6,700 security personnel, including ECOWAS Stabilisation Force members, deployed to maintain order.

The international community reacted with concern. UN Secretary-General António Guterres said he was “following the situation with deep concern,” while Portugal urged restraint and discouraged any acts of institutional or civic violence.

See also  Six more deaths confirmed in Afriland Towers fire

Reporters Without Borders warned that the suspension of media operations amounted to “a serious violation of the right to information. The population must be able to be informed about what is happening in the country, especially in this context of political crisis.”

ECOWAS and the African Union condemned the coup, reaffirming their strict zero-tolerance policy for unconstitutional changes of government.

Nigeria reaffirmed its commitment to working with regional and international partners to restore stability.

Ebienfa said, “Nigeria, as a key member of ECOWAS and the African Union, will work closely with our regional and international partners to take all necessary measures to ensure the swift return to normalcy and constitutional governance in Guinea-Bissau. We reaffirm our unwavering commitment to the promotion of democracy, peace, and stability across the African continent.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Tinubu to attend UN General Assembly in September

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  See how FG moves to recover unremitted funds before April
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Shehu Sani backs Remi Tinubu over US air strikes in Sokoto

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending