Connect with us

Sports

EPL: Guardiola jokes about ‘wine reward’ from broadcasters for nine-goal match

Published

on

Pep Guardiola joked Friday that he and Fulham manager Marco Silva deserved a bottle of wine for serving up a nine-goal thriller, but admitted Manchester City must tighten up defensively.

City, second in the Premier League, led 5-1 at Craven Cottage on Tuesday but were left hanging on as the home team pushed for an equaliser.

City manager Guardiola described the match, which finished 5-4, as “one of the games of the season”.

“If I were at home and watching that game, I wouldn’t change the channel,” he said on the eve of his team’s clash against Sunderland.

“I’m pretty sure the broadcasters are happy with us. They have a consideration for Marco and me, giving me a bottle of wine for all of us. No, I’m not joking. Broadcasters must be happy.”

City, dethroned as Premier League champions by Liverpool last season, have conceded 16 goals in the league so far this season — nine more than leaders Arsenal.

Guardiola admitted his team had to improve at the back but but said at least they were not conceding many clear-cut chances.

“Of course I don’t like to concede two goals (in a 3-2 win against Leeds) and four goals (against Fulham) — six goals in two games –, but at the same time we are the team scoring the most, and we have to build from that,” he said.

“We have to fix these kinds of things. I believe we can do better, and we create chances and score goals and goals because we have built a team for that… but we have to be more solid. It belongs to everyone, not just the goalkeepers or defenders.”

See also  All three World Cup co-hosts eliminated from tournament

Guardiola said Sunderland, sixth in the table in their first season back in the Premier League, would be tough opponents.

“They deserve to be where they are,” he said. “When you are promoted, and you play well for five games, OK, momentum. It can happen.

“But for 14 fixtures in the Premier League with opponents like everyone suffers to take results in that position, they deserve it.”

Guardiola said midfielder Rodri, who has been struggling with a hamstring injury, would not be fit to play against Sunderland.

“He’s getting better,” said the City boss. “I don’t know how long (until he’s back), but he will be ready.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

PICTURES: Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has returned to Al Nassr training in Riyadh sporting a striking copper-yellow hairstyle, days after marrying longtime partner Georgina Rodríguez in a private ceremony in Portugal following Portugal’s exit from the 2026 World Cup.

The Portuguese forward posted photos of himself in the club’s training kit on his social media accounts on Thursday, captioning the images simply “Back 🟡🔵”. The pictures showed the 41-year-old with a new copper-yellow hair, a clear departure from the dark brown style he had worn for years, including during Portugal’s World Cup campaign.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo rejoined the squad after Portugal’s exit from the 2026 FIFA World Cup, where the team was eliminated by Spain in the Round of 16. He was granted additional time off by Al Nassr following the tournament and his private civil wedding to Rodríguez on August 11 in Cascais, Portugal.

The intimate ceremony was attended by their five children. The couple, who have been together for nearly a decade, confirmed the marriage with a photograph of their wedding rings.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Last season, Ronaldo helped Al Nassr end a long wait for domestic glory by winning the Saudi Pro League title. He scored 28 league goals as the club finished top with 86 points, two clear of rivals Al Hilal winning his first major trophy with the Riyadh side since joining in late 2022 and Al Nassr’s first league crown since 2019.

 

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Al Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou and teammates welcomed the captain back with applause during a team session, acknowledging both his return and recent marriage, AS the club also posted images of his arrival, teasing fans with the caption asking who had shown up at the training ground.

See also  EPL: Guardiola declares Rodri ‘best player in the world’

Ronaldo now prepares for the new Saudi Pro League season as a married man with Al Nassr preparing to open their title defence against Al Fateh on August 15.

Fans reacted strongly to the post and the fresh look. #SumolaIdowu wrote “Started off a single man, now a married man. Congratulations Cristiano! May your new home last your lifetime.” While #Symplyher14 said “Welcome back to the pitch my GOAT!”

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

#SundayOb posted “Welcome back to the team, time to perform and complete the 1000 goals target.” As #CAgbawe simply noted “That hair Wow!”, #underthetre_e declared “This is absolute GOLD ”.While #D_PenGame added “the GOAT is backkkkk congratulations on your wedding sir.”

The new season marks another chapter for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner as he continues chasing career milestones with Al Nassr.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Four UEFA Super Cup finals played, lost by Unai Emery

Published

on

Unai Emery’s dominance of the UEFA Europa League has been accompanied by an equally striking struggle in the UEFA Super Cup, with his latest defeat against Paris Saint-Germain extending a perfect losing record in the competition.

Emery’s Aston Villa were beaten 2-1 by PSG in Salzburg on Wednesday, despite Brian Madjo’s historic equaliser, leaving the Spanish manager with four defeats from four UEFA Super Cup appearances.

The latest setback came just months after Emery guided Villa to their first major European trophy since 1982, beating Freiburg 3-0 in the Europa League final to claim a record-extending fifth Europa League title.

UEFA describes Emery as the competition’s most successful manager, having won it three times with Sevilla, once with Villarreal and now with Villa.

Yet the Super Cup has repeatedly proved to be his stumbling block.

His first appearance came in 2014, when Sevilla were beaten 2-0 by Real Madrid.

A year later, Sevilla suffered another defeat, losing 5-4 to Barcelona after extra time in one of the competition’s most memorable finals.

UEFA’s official records confirm both results.

Emery returned to the competition in 2021 with Villarreal after winning the Europa League. His side drew 1-1 with Chelsea after extra time before losing 6-5 on penalties.

Five years later, his fourth opportunity ended in another defeat.

PSG took the lead before Villa teenager Madjo levelled shortly before half-time, becoming the youngest scorer in Super Cup history.

Désiré Doué then restored PSG’s lead after the break to secure another European trophy for the French club.

See also  Cape Verde become smallest country to make World Cup knockout stage

The contrast with Emery’s Europa League record could hardly be sharper.

His five triumphs came in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2021 and 2026, while he has also reached six finals in the competition.

For Villa, however, the defeat does not erase what Emery has achieved. His Europa League success against Freiburg ended the club’s 30-year wait for silverware and restored its status as a major force in European football.

But for Emery personally, the Super Cup remains the one European trophy occasion that continues to elude him — four appearances, four defeats.

FULL LIST: Emery’s four Super Cup defeats

2014: Real Madrid 2-0 Sevilla

2015: Barcelona 5-4 Sevilla (after extra time)

2021: Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal (Chelsea won 6-5 on penalties)

2026: PSG 2-1 Aston Villa

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

La Liga: Barcelona prepare third bid for Rodri

Published

on

Barcelona are set to return with a third proposal for Manchester City midfielder Rodri as negotiations between the two clubs continue.

The Catalan giants have already seen offers worth €50 million and €60 million rejected, but they remain confident of reaching an agreement for the Spain international.

In a post on X on Friday, Fabrizio Romano wrote, “Barcelona are returning with a third proposal for Rodri to Manchester City.”

After €50m and €60m packages both rejected, direct club-to-club talks to continue halfway between €60m last bid and €80m fee requested.

Barça remain confident and optimistic.”

Direct talks between Barcelona and Manchester City are expected to continue, with the next proposal likely to fall somewhere between Barcelona’s latest €60 million offer and City’s reported €80 million asking price.

Barcelona remain optimistic about their chances of completing the deal and are prepared to push forward with negotiations rather than walk away.

The coming days could prove decisive, with both clubs continuing discussions in an effort to find a compromise over Rodri’s valuation.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  See players locked in three-way Golden Boot race at the 2026 World Cup
Continue Reading

Trending