Connect with us

News

Navy Dredges 11km Waterway In Lake Chad To Stop Terrorists’ Occupation

Published

on

The Nigerian Navy has dredged and cleared 11km of waterway in the Lake Chad to deny Boko Haram/ ISWAP terrorists freedom of occupying the area and strangulating economic activities in the agrarian area.

The project, according to the Navy, is part of a broader effort to combat insurgency in the region, particularly against Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorists, which have been vying for control of the lake’s islands and surrounding territories.

The dredging project aims to restore the region’s economic relevance, enhance navigation and trade, revitalise fishing activities, and improve security.

Governor Babagana Umara Zulum of Borno State recently emphasised the strategic importance of addressing the challenges in Lake Chad to bring down insurgency and terrorism in Nigeria.

In his maiden operational visit to Maiduguri, the Chief of Naval Staff ( CNS ) Rear Admiral Idi Abbas, said the service has been conducting serious operations against terrorists in the Lake Chad Basin to restore normal economic activities in the region.

Rear Admiral Abbas said, “ The Nigerian Navy Base, Lake Chad (NBLC) has significantly improved access to critical waterways through targeted engineering interventions. In particular, the NBLC has successfully dredged and cleared approximately 11km of waterways, enhancing navigability and reopening previously inaccessible routes.

“These efforts have facilitated the safe return of fishermen, farmers, traders and transport operators, thereby supporting the gradual revival of socio-economic activities across the region.”

The naval chief said the Nigerian Navy remained fully committed to denying terrorists the use of the Lake Chad waterways through sustained coordinated operations in collaboration with the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF).

See also  Doctors begin indefinite strike Tuesday - See Why

He said the Navy had played a key role in clearing terrorist elements from waterways, particularly during Operation Lake Sanity III, which focused on degrading insurgent logistics and ensuring freedom of movement to consolidate the gains achieved by the joint task force.

“Additionally, the Navy ensures persistent Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) coverage in close coordination with the Nigerian Air Force.

“This joint ISR effort enhances situational awareness, enables timely targeting of terrorist activities and supports effective maritime interdiction operations, thereby sustaining pressure on terrorist elements within the Lake Chad Basin,” Abbas added.

He, however, urged the troops at Baga Naval Base to focus more on the fight against the enemies of the state in Lake Chad Basin, the terrorists.

The naval chief also assured the troops of his commitment to their welfare and the deployment of manpower and more equipment to support their efforts to restore lasting peace and security across the North East.

Source: LEADERSHIP.NG

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Male hawker crushed to death in Lagos road crash

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Kanye West cleared to play in Netherlands
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Group Demands Immediate Release Of Abba Kyari, Cites Presidential Pardons

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending