Connect with us

Politics

₦50,000 Enough To Start – Mumuni Defends Remi Tinubu’s ‘Akara’ Comment

Published

on

A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abayomi Nurain Mumuni, has condemned criticisms trailing the First Lady, Oluremi Tinubu, recent statement urging Nigerians to get involved in small scale businesses.

It was reports that Tinubu had come under heavy backlash after she encouraged Nigerians, particularly women, to consider engaging in petty businesses such as frying and selling akara and roasted corn to improve their livelihoods.

Sharing his thoughts on the matter in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by his Media Aide, Rasheed Abubakar, Mumuni opined that the First Lady was misunderstood.

He argued that Tinubu’s message was intended to encourage economic self sufficiency among Nigerians, especially women and low income families, through businesses that require little start up capital.

“I wish to address recent misinterpretations surrounding the First Lady’s advocacy for informal business ventures, particularly in the production and sale of traditional food items such as akara and kulili,” he said.

Mumuni argued that many Nigerians living below the poverty line only require modest financial support to establish small businesses capable of generating sustainable income.

“The reality is that some poor Nigerians only need a token to start a business and get it right. For some Nigerians, ₦50,000 or ₦100,000 is enough to start a business and begin making profits. Those are the category of people the First Lady is referring to. There is no need for unnecessary criticism,” he said

Mumuni added that beyond encouraging low capital businesses, the Federal Government had also introduced several programmes to support medium and large scale enterprises.

See also  Will PDP masquerades fight in the open again?

According to him, initiatives such as the Presidential Conditional Grant Scheme, the Presidential Palliative Loan Programme, the Bank of Industry intervention funds and financing windows, as well as support programmes of the Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria, demonstrate the government’s commitment to empowering businesses of different sizes.

He noted that many Nigerians had already benefited from the interventions, stressing that the various programmes cater for entrepreneurs with different levels of capital needs, from small start ups to established businesses.

According to him, the First Lady’s statement should not be interpreted as limiting the aspirations of women or dismissing the country’s economic challenges.

“The First Lady’s statement reflects a genuine concern for economic self sufficiency among Nigerian women and families. Her emphasis on these ventures stems from the practical reality that accessible, low capital business opportunities can provide immediate income and food security for households.

“This is not a dismissal of women’s capabilities or potential, but rather an acknowledgment of viable pathways that have demonstrably helped many families achieve basic sustenance,” he stated.

He urged Nigerians to distinguish between constructive criticism and what he described as misplaced anger.

“We must distinguish between constructive criticism and misplaced anger. While opinions on policy direction are valid, channeling our collective energy toward addressing the substantive challenges facing our nation, including widespread insecurity, poverty and hunger, would be more productive. These remain the critical issues requiring urgent national attention and discourse,” he said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

VIDEO: #OSUNDECIDES2026! Angry Youths Storm INEC Office, Chant “Fadahunsi Ole”

Published

on

Some Osun youths gathered at the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in Osogbo, Saturday night, to monitor the collation of results from the governorship election.

 

In a video from the scene, the youths could be heard chanting “Fadahunsi ole, your plans will not work”.

The senator representing Osun East, Francis Fadahunsi, had earlier been captured in another video during the election, where he was seen confronting and allegedly threatening voters at his polling unit in the presence of a police officer.

The chant came as the collation of results from the election continued at the INEC headquarters.

Watch video below..

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Oyo APC gov aspirant backs direct primary
Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Election: EU Observer Hub Uncovers 323 Electoral Offences, 38 Security Incidents

Published

on

The European Union (EU) Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria Election Observation Hub (EU-SDGN EOH) has claimed that there were over 38 reported security incidents and 323 electoral offences and irregularities in the Osun 2026 election.

Naija News reports that the Union, which comprises the Centre for Media and Society (CEMESO), the International Press Centre (IPC), the Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF), TAF Africa, The Kukah Centre (TKC) and Yiaga Africa, made the claim in a statement on Saturday.

The hub asserted that the 726 polling units monitored were disrupted by violent acts and irregularities.

They disclosed that they had deployed 823 accredited observers across polling units in all 30 local government areas to monitor the election.

The statement read, “Of 2,339,233 registered voters, 1,906,390, representing 81.50 per cent, had collected their Permanent Voters Cards and were eligible to vote.”

Speaking on the security incidents, the Union stated that there were 25 cases of thuggery, 12 attacks on electoral officials and 9 cases of voter intimidation by security personnel.

The hub said, “It separately recorded 323 cases of electoral offences across the polling units observed, including 103 cases of vote trading, 85 cases of exposure of ballot papers, 31 cases of obstruction of voters, 38 cases of campaigning at polling units, 28 cases of inducement of polling and security officials, 14 cases of voter impersonation, 12 cases of multiple voting and 7 cases of misconduct by election officials.”

The Hub also identified specific cases of voter intimidation by security agents at PU 29-10-10-005, Igbon District Council School, Ejigbo, and PU 29-30-06-015, opposite No. 22 Oke Ola Street, Okanla Area, Osogbo.

See also  Abia LP chieftains set up strategic committees, reaffirm support for Otti

“During the accreditation process, 608 of 726 observed polling units, or 83.7 per cent, had polling officials with a full complement of both sensitive and non-sensitive materials between 7:30am and 8:00 am. A further 75 polling units opened between 8:00am and 8:30am, and 42 between 8:30 am and 11:00am, while one polling unit remained unopened as of 11:00am due to the non-arrival of personnel and materials,” the statement read.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Poll: Full List Of LGAs Won By Adeleke

Published

on

The Governor of Osun State and candidate of the Accord Party (A), Ademola Adeleke, has been officially declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as the winner of the 2026 governorship election.

Naija News had earlier reported that Adeleke, who contested against the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Oyebamiji and several other candidates, had a total of 511,067 votes while Oyebamiji gathered 444,815 votes, a difference of 66,256 votes.

Adeleke won 19 local government areas, while his closest rival, Oyebamiji, won 11.

Here are the local government areas won by Adeleke:

Ede North: Adeleke — 35,427; APC — 10,283

Osogbo: Adeleke — 36,480; APC — 30,474

Ede South: Adeleke — 26,188; APC — 6,219

Iwo: Adeleke — 27,085; APC — 19,660

Ife East: Adeleke — 27,201; APC — 18,600

Ife Central: Adeleke — 21,171; APC — 15,913

Ifelodun: Adeleke — 21,107; APC — 18,396

Oriade: Adeleke — 21,343; APC — 14,863

Egbedore: Adeleke — 19,278; APC — 11,194

Odo Otin: Adeleke — 18,003; APC — 15,435

Ilesa West: Adeleke — 16,196; APC — 12,756

Ila: Adeleke — 16,211; APC — 12,934

Ayedaade: Adeleke — 16,681; APC — 15,719

Ife North: Adeleke — 13,879; APC — 9,613

Orolu: Adeleke — 12,352; APC — 10,622

Boluwaduro: Adeleke — 7,118; APC — 7,050

Ayedire: Adeleke — 11,073; APC — 9,910

Ejigbo Local Government Area and Ifedayo

Meanwhile, the European Union (EU) Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria Election Observation Hub (EU-SDGN EOH) has claimed that there were over 38 reported security incidents and 323 electoral offences and irregularities in the Osun 2026 election.

See also  Will PDP masquerades fight in the open again?

Naija News reports that the Union, which comprises the Centre for Media and Society (CEMESO), the International Press Centre (IPC), the Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF), TAF Africa, The Kukah Centre (TKC) and Yiaga Africa, made the claim in a statement on Saturday.

The hub asserted that violent acts and irregularities disrupted the 726 polling units monitored.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending