Connect with us

News

Niger Delta militancy made Jonathan’s presidency possible – Ateke Tom

Published

on

The Amanyanabo of Okochiri, Okrika Local Government Area of Rivers State, HRM Michael Ateke Tom, has said his decision to take up arms in the Niger Delta struggle was to draw attention to the plight and marginalisation of the oil-rich region.

King Ateke, a former militant leader, said the agitation by the militants eventually got the Federal Government’s attention, adding that part of its benefit was the emergence of Goodluck Jonathan from the region as Nigeria’s president.

Ateke spoke on Thursday when he received members of the ECOWAS Parliament on a courtesy visit to his palace in Okochiri.

The delegation, led by the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Hadja Memounatou Ibrahima was in Port Harcourt for the 2nd Extraordinary Parliamentary Session on “Harnessing Artificial Intelligence for Parliamentary Efficiency, Ethical Governance, and Development in the ECOWAS Region.”

Reflecting on his past involvement in the Niger Delta militancy, the monarch said, “My intention was to draw the attention of the Federal Government and the world to the plight of the Niger Delta, a region that produces oil and gas yet suffers the most.

“The agitation brought the Federal Government’s focus to our challenges. It was that same movement that created the opportunity where our people were remembered, like Goodluck Jonathan, could emerge as President of Nigeria.

“I wanted the Federal Government to truly see what was happening here—the pollution, the poverty, the suffering of our people amidst the wealth generated from oil exploration. Eventually, the government responded, and I was among those who helped to broker peace. I appealed to the agitators to lay down their arms and give peace a chance, and many did. Today, we are seeing the results of that peace.”

See also  Cuba accuses US of killing 32 nationals in Venezuela operation

He urged the ECOWAS Parliament to use its platform to advocate for sustained development in the Niger Delta.

“We appreciate what the government has done so far, but there’s still a long way to go to lift our people out of poverty. I urge you to include this in your legislative considerations,” Ateke said.

The monarch also pledged his readiness to support national efforts to tackle insecurity, stressing,

“As a traditional ruler, I am not a politician. I’m ready to contribute my experience to efforts aimed at restoring peace and security in the Niger Delta and Nigeria as a whole,” he said.

Speaking on behalf of the parliamentarians, Dr Awaji-Inombek Abiante, who represents Andoni-Opobo/Nkoro Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, praised the monarch’s peace advocacy. “We are here to engage with you and seek insights on how the peace in the Niger Delta can be further strengthened, which will guide our legislative work at the ECOWAS Parliament,” he said.

The Speaker of the ECOWAS Parliament, Rt. Hon. Hadja Memounatou Ibrahima also commended the monarch, saying, “We are honoured to be with you and learn from your leadership. Your efforts in ensuring peace in the Niger Delta are commendable and provide valuable lessons for the broader ECOWAS region.”

Similarly, the Third Deputy Speaker, Hon. Alexander Afenyo-Markin, said Ateke’s reputation preceded him. “We have heard many positive things about your contributions to peace and development. That’s why we insisted on visiting your palace while in Rivers State,” he noted.

The Fourth Deputy Speaker, Hon. Billay Tunkara, urged the monarch to continue sharing his insights with the Federal Government, saying they could prove useful in addressing insecurity across the country.

See also  Insecurity: COAS deploys special forces to Plateau

The King’s mouthpiece, Chief Dr Chris Opuayaraya, expressed gratitude for the visit, stating, “The King is always open to partnerships with governments, organisations, and individuals committed to peace and development in the Niger Delta and Nigeria as a whole.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Cuba accuses US of killing 32 nationals in Venezuela operation

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Cuba accuses US of killing 32 nationals in Venezuela operation
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  US lawmaker Riley Moore warns President Tinubu over k!lling of Christians in Nigeria

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending