Connect with us

News

Collapsed Lagos building occupants ignored distress signs – Residents

Published

on

Some residents of Cole Street in the Oyingbo area of Lagos State, where a two-storey building collapsed, leaving one person dead and 26 others injured, have disclosed that the occupants of the building ignored visible distress signs on the structure.

PUNCH Metro correspondent, who visited the scene of the incident on Monday, learnt this in multiple interviews with some of the residents.

Our correspondent also observed that some goods, including crates of beer and motorcycles, were destroyed by the impact of the collapse.

Emergency responders, including officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency, Red Cross, and Lagos Neighbourhood Security Corps, were on the ground carrying out rescue operations.

Speaking with our correspondent, a shop owner in the building, who identified herself as Mrs Adaeze, noted that the government had warned them to evacuate the building because it was in distress.

She stressed that her goods, worth millions of naira, were still trapped under the rubble.

Adaeze said, “I was called in the middle of the night that the building had collapsed, and I had to rush down here. When I got here, I saw that my goods, worth millions of naira, were trapped under the building. Some of them have been destroyed.

“The government had been giving us notice to leave the place because the building is distressed, but the owner has not been cooperating.”

She appealed for government support to cushion the impact of the loss she had incurred.

Another resident, Habeeb Jamiu, noted that the incident followed a midnight rainfall.

See also  Adeleke’s ongoing projects saved Ife from embarrassment – Ooni’s chief

He said residents were alerted by the wailing of the occupants who were calling for help from under the debris of the collapsed building.

According to Jamiu, the building had shown signs of distress, but the occupants ignored them.

Jamiu narrated, “I was awake and not far from this place when some others and I who were together learnt that a building had collapsed. It was immediately after the rain stopped around 1 a.m.

“When we got here, we heard the wailing of people and began to rescue them before the emergency responders came.

“It is true that the building was in distress. When you passed around the building, you would see signs of visible cracks that would make you wonder why they were still living there.”

Another resident, Hakeem Ibrahim, corroborated the claims that the building was in distress before it collapsed.

He expressed concerns that some people might still be under the rubble because of the number of people living in the house.

“I was at Roundabout when I saw police vehicles and an ambulance entering the area, which prompted me to follow them. When I got close, I heard people shouting that everyone should come out. When I got here, I saw that the building had collapsed.

“Some residents had begun rescuing some of the occupants before the emergency responders came. The building was indeed in distress.”

Our correspondent, who visited the hospital where some of the injured victims were taken, could not get their reactions, as medical officials said they were not fit enough to speak with the media.

See also  Anambra enforces road setbacks, approves ₦16.7bn for infrastructure projects

PUNCH Online had earlier reported that one person was confirmed dead while 26 survivors were rescued from the collapsed building.

The Controller General of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Margaret Adeseye, gave an update in a situation report.

She wrote, “Update: One recovered dead as (survivors) rescued alive move to 26.”

She had also stated that the building, which had previously shown signs of distress, gave way while residents were still inside.

“It is an ongoing rescue involving an existing two-storey building which has reportedly been marked in distress before collapsing on the occupants,” the statement said.

Lagos State has witnessed multiple building-collapse incidents in 2025.

On September 25, six persons were rescued after a two-storey building collapsed on Modupeola Street, Mangoro, in the Alimosho Local Government Area of the state.

Similarly, on September 16, two construction workers were rescued after four days from the rubble of a collapsed building in the Ebute Metta area of the state.

These incidents underscore the recurring nature of such disasters in the state.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  FEC approves biometric flight boarding, PH airport concession

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Adeleke’s ongoing projects saved Ife from embarrassment – Ooni’s chief
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  PHOTOS: Troops rescue 14 kidnapped victims in Benue forest

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending