Connect with us

News

Sokoto now has 21 general hospitals, 824 health centres – Govt

Published

on

The Sokoto State Commissioner for Health, Faruk Abubakar, has announced a major revival of the state’s health sector, revealing that Sokoto now has 21 functional general hospitals and 824 primary health centres across its 23 local government areas.

Describing the transformation as a “rescue from the Intensive Care Unit,” Abubakar credited the rapid progress to the leadership of Governor Ahmad Aliyu Sokoto, whose administration he said inherited a crumbling healthcare system riddled with obsolete equipment, broken infrastructure, and years of neglect.

“When Governor Ahmad Aliyu assumed office, the health system was in critical condition, hospitals had torn mattresses, broken beds, and outdated tools,” the commissioner said during a media briefing in Sokoto.

Abubakar, a veteran health administrator and former CEO of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria, while addressing newsmen on Monday, said the governor’s swift intervention through his 9-Point SMART Agenda has brought urgent relief and long-term reforms to the sector.

He revealed that nine ultrasound machines have been procured and distributed to general hospitals across the three senatorial districts, along with X-ray machines allocated to each geopolitical zone, significantly reducing the need for patients to travel to Sokoto metropolis for diagnostic services.

In addition, ten general hospitals are currently undergoing phased rehabilitation, while the government is fast-tracking the completion of two abandoned hospitals in Dange Shuni and Wamakko local governments.

“All general hospitals are now being equipped with new beds, incubators, reliable water systems, and solar-powered electricity to ensure 24-hour service delivery,” Abubakar added.

Beyond secondary healthcare, the state has 824 primary health facilities, at least one in each of the 240 political wards, consisting of primary health centres, clinics, and health posts, making basic medical care accessible at the grassroots.

See also  Africa could become a renewable superpower - UN chief

The commissioner further disclosed that plans are underway to establish a world-class hospital in Sokoto, in line with the state’s strategic push to reduce medical tourism and provide comprehensive healthcare within its borders.

“This administration is not just reacting; it is planning and executing a sustainable roadmap for the future.

“Our needs assessment exposed critical gaps, and we are addressing them at all levels, primary, secondary, and tertiary,” he said.

He emphasised the government’s “twin-pronged” strategy that focuses on both curative and preventive healthcare, aimed at improving the state’s overall health indices.

“With the reforms we’ve implemented so far, we are no longer in emergency mode.

“We are building a resilient health system that works for the people,” the commissioner concluded.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Local Residents beg FG as Osun, Ondo federal roads crumble

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Tinubu, Fubara end foreign trips ahead of Ibas’ handover
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  INEC faces legal heat over ‘missing’ N55.9bn 2019 election funds

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending