Connect with us

News

10,625 cubic metres of sand illegally dredged daily, Lagos laments

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has raised the alarm over the impact of illegal dredging and coastal erosion on its lagoon and waterfront communities, warning that over 10,000 cubic metres of sand are being dredged daily in the state.

The Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure Development, Dayo Alebiosu, made this known on Thursday during a press briefing at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre, Alausa Secretariat, Ikeja.

He said the disturbing trend underscored the need for urgent intervention to prevent environmental collapse.

On the scale of illegal activities, Alebiosu said, “About 10,625 cubic metres of sand are dredged daily in Lagos,” cautioning that such unregulated operations could destabilise the ecosystem, damage aquatic habitats, and endanger waterfront settlements.

He added that the Ministry was conducting a comprehensive bathymetric and hydrographic survey to identify over-dredged and under-dredged areas, noting that the Ibeshe area of Lagos was already heavily impacted.

The concerns come against the backdrop of earlier moves by the state government to clamp down on unlicensed dredgers.

The government in August sought the support of the Dredgers Association of Nigeria, insisting that unregistered operators halt their activities to protect the environment and communities.

The Commissioner also highlighted the severe threat of coastal erosion, stating that some Lagos coastal communities, including Idotun Village in Ibeju-Lekki, had been completely washed away. Families, he said, had lost their homes and sources of livelihood.

“Coastal erosion is a regional problem with global implications. Lagos must take urgent steps to safeguard its communities, infrastructure, and economy,” Alebiosu stated. He cited Keta Municipality in Ghana as another West African community facing similar devastation.

See also  ‘Horrific Violence’ – Trump Govt Condemns Killing Of Christians In Nigeria

To address the crisis, he announced that Lagos had commenced collaboration with the Netherlands, globally recognised for its expertise in coastal and water management, to develop lasting and innovative solutions.

He explained that the pressing realities form the basis for the Maiden Lagos State Waterfront Summit, scheduled for September 11, 2025, in Lagos.

With the theme “Pressure on the Lagoon: The Lagos Experience,” the summit aims to convene experts and professionals to chart practical solutions.

“The lagoon is not just a body of water; it is our heritage, our economy, and our future. This summit is a call to action for Lagosians, experts, and stakeholders to work together in protecting it before it is too late,” Alebiosu said.

The Lagos State Government has in recent years intensified efforts to curb illegal dredging, a practice linked to coastal erosion, flooding, and the destruction of aquatic habitats.

It was earlier reported that Lagos State launched initiatives to monitor and regulate dredging activities, urging operators to obtain licences and adhere strictly to environmental regulations.

Unlicensed dredgers, according to the government, contribute significantly to the degradation of waterfront areas, threatening both livelihoods and infrastructure.

These efforts form part of Lagos’ broader strategy to preserve its coastline, protect communities, and ensure sustainable urban development.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Gbajabiamila organises free health check for Lagos community

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Israel declares Somaliland independent, sovereign state
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Libya's military chief and seven others killed in plane crash in Turkey

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending