Connect with us

News

I’ve kept campaign promises, delivered major projects – Oyebanji

Published

on

Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji, has declared that he has kept faith with the people by fulfilling his campaign promises, completing most inherited projects, and delivering on key development initiatives ahead of the 2026 governorship election.

Oyebanji stated this on Wednesday in Abuja, shortly after submitting his nomination and expression of interest forms at the All Progressives Congress National Secretariat, where he was received by a crowd of supporters.

The Independent National Electoral Commission has fixed the Ekiti governorship election for July 20, 2026, while the APC primary will hold on October 27, 2025.

The governor said his administration had achieved nearly 80 per cent completion of inherited projects, stressing that they belong to the people and were funded with public resources.

“When we campaigned three years ago, it was on the mantra of continuity for shared prosperity. In less than three years, we have achieved close to 80 per cent completion of inherited projects. We have also created conditions for productivity by investing in infrastructure, electricity, and healthcare. For example, over 60 communities that had been in darkness for nearly two decades are now connected to the grid.

“We believe productivity also requires a strong healthcare system. From primary to tertiary levels, facilities have been upgraded. We pay doctors and health workers parity with their federal counterparts while keeping up with gratuities and pensions. Beyond infrastructure and welfare, we are reforming the workforce to restore trust in government. Trust in leadership is critical, and I want to be remembered as a governor who kept his promises,” Oyebanji said.

See also  Fintiri re-unites 14 abducted children with parents

On his priorities going forward, the governor pledged to deepen investment in education.

“One area I am determined to improve further is education. My desire is to see modern learning tools such as electronic boards in all schools in Ekiti. Education remains the pathway to productivity and prosperity, and we will focus more on innovation and technology to prepare our people for the 21st century,” he added.

Addressing speculation of division within the APC in Ekiti, Oyebanji dismissed the claims.

“The beauty of democracy is freedom of expression. People are entitled to their opinions, but the massive show of support here today does not reflect a divided party. Former governors, deputy governors, lawmakers, local government chairmen, and other stakeholders are united behind APC in Ekiti. As for my relationship with former Governor Fayemi, it remains cordial. Talk of division is mere propaganda,” he said.

He also urged party leaders to help the state break the jinx of one-term governorships.

“Since the creation of Ekiti, no governor has completed a second term in one stretch. We see it as a jinx that must be broken because it has retarded development. The people don’t want current gains reversed,” Oyebanji said, while affirming his willingness to subject himself to the primary process.

Senate Majority Leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, who accompanied the governor, said Oyebanji had delivered on infrastructure, human capital, and stability, stressing that for the first time, Ekiti stakeholders across divides were united behind one governor.

APC National Vice Chairman (South-West), Isaacs Kekemeke, assured the governor of a fair process.

See also  Okonjo‑Iweala unveils Abia’s first electric shuttle buses, urges cleaner environment

“We have seen you and heard you. We have never witnessed a submission of forms like this before. Go back and do in Ekiti what you have done here today,” he said.

Dignitaries at the event included Ekiti’s first elected governor, Niyi Adebayo; former Senate Minority Leader, Biodun Olujimi; Senate Spokesperson, Yemi Adaramodu; and House of Representatives Spokesperson, Akin Rotimi, among others.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Navy rescues three passengers from pirates in Akwa Ibom

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Reserved seats bill will ensure fair women representation – Benjamin Kalu
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Fintiri re-unites 14 abducted children with parents

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending