The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arraigned a vessel, MT Ostria, and three foreigners before Justice Mojisola Dada of the Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, over allegations of petroleum theft involving over 25 million litres of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), valued at about N12 billion, belonging to NNPC Retail Limited.
The defendants, Captain Raymundo A. Panaligam, Chief Officer Roneno Villarin, and Mr. Vincent Wayas, were arraigned on Wednesday October 29, 2025
The trio was charged alongside the vessel on a four-count charge bordering on conspiracy and stealing.
According to the charge, the defendants conspired to steal 25,354,000 (Twenty Five Million, Three Hundred and Fifty Four thousand) litres of Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, offences said to be contrary to Sections 411 and 280 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015, and punishable under Section 287 of the same law.
One of the counts reads: “MT Ostria, Captain Raymundo A. Panaligam, Chief Officer Roneno Villarin and Mr. Vincent Wayas sometime in January 2024 in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, conspired amongst yourselves to commit felony, to wit: stealing of Thirteen Million, Five Hundred and Fifty Four Thousand (13,354,000) litres of Premium Motor Spirit, property of NNPC Retail Limited.”
Another count reads: “MT OSTRIA, CAPTAIN RAYMUNDO A. PANALIGAM,CHIEF OFFICER RONENO VILLARI and MR. VINCENT WAYAS on or about 17th January 2024 in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court dishonestly took (Nine Million) 9,000,000.00 litres of Premium Motor Spirit Property of NNPC Retail Limited”.
Other count reads: “MT OSTRIA, CAPTAIN RAYMUNDO A. PANALIGAM, CHIEF OFFICER RONENO VILLARI and MR. VINCENT WAYAS sometime on or about 17th January 2024 in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court dishonestly took(Three Million) 3,000,000.00litres of Premium Motor Spirit, Property of NNPC Retail Limited”.
All defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges when they were read to them.
Following their plea, prosecuting counsel, Bilikisu Buhari, prayed the court to set a trial date and remand the defendants in a correctional facility. She prayed the court not to grant them bail, that the applicant was a flight risk, that they had nothing to lose if they jump bail or abscond from trial.
However, the defence team informed the court that bail applications had already been filed and urged that the defendants be allowed to continue under the bail conditions earlier granted by the EFCC.
Justice Dada ruled that the defendants should continue on the existing EFCC bail conditions and subsequently adjourned the case to November 17 and 27, 2025, for the commencement of trial.
The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.
The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.
According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.
The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.
“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.
“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.
“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.
“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.
“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”
Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.
The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.
A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.
“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.
The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.
According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.
Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.
“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read
“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”
The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.
He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.
According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.
He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.