Connect with us

Politics

Anambra Voter Laments ₦1,000 Stipend For Votes

Published

on

Some voters in Obosi, Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State, have claimed that they were offered small amounts of money to vote.

A voter, speaking off-camera to the Anambra Broadcasting Cooperation (ABS), expressed anger over the situation.

According to the voter, as at 9:00 am, no one was at the Central School, Obosi, where the voting took place.

She explained that an announcement was later made, urging residents to come out and cast their votes.

She said many people responded and turned out to exercise their civic duty, only to be given ₦1,000 afterwards.

She described the amount as “too small,” considering the stress they went through to participate in the election.

Meanwhile, a 21-year-old first-time voter, Chinyere Aniwetalu, has admitted to being paid to vote at Nteje Ward 1, Amuda Village Square Polling Unit 12, in the Saturday Anambra governorship election.

It was  learnt that Chinyere, who spoke with journalists, confirmed receiving money but declined to disclose how much or the political party that paid her.

While expressing excitement about her participation in the election after years of waiting to reach voting age, Chinyere said, “I was paid to vote.”

She explained that she was unable to vote in the 2023 general election because she did not have a Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) at the time.

She said, “I just got my PVC this year, and I’m happy to use it today.”

At the polling unit, most of the voting had been completed by midday, with several voters seen loitering around, waiting for the sorting of ballots.

See also  Post-NEC meetings: APC, PDP set stage for epic 2027 face-off

INEC officials at the centre told journalists that the process began early, at about 8:00 a.m., and had been smooth so far, although they were still expecting more voters to turn up before the polls closed.

The candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, remains a top contender for the governorship poll.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Osun poll: APC won’t rush to congratulate Adeleke – Campaign DG revealed

Published

on

The Director-General of the All Progressives Congress governorship campaign in Osun State, Oluwole Oke, has said the party will not be pressured into congratulating Governor Ademola Adeleke over his victory in the August 15 governorship election.

Oke stated this in an interview with Arise News on Monday, saying the APC was reviewing the election results and would determine its next step after examining the records.

He said the position of President Bola Tinubu, who had congratulated Adeleke following the declaration of the result by the Independent National Electoral Commission, was different from that of the party’s campaign team, which was “on the ground” and assessing the process.

“And like I’ve told you that what we are doing, even for future, for records, is to conduct a thorough review of the entire process and then form our opinion.

“We won’t be under any sort of pressure to easily reach out to congratulate Senator Ademola Adeleke,” Oke said.

He added, “We do not agree with the declaration of INEC. That’s our position for now. We believe he did not score the highest valid votes.”

INEC declared Adeleke, the Accord candidate, winner of the election after he polled 511,067 votes to defeat the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes. ADC candidate Najeem Salaam came third with 17,180 votes.

Adeleke won in 19 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured 11, giving the incumbent a winning margin of 66,252 votes.

Following the declaration, Adeleke said he expected Oyebamiji to call and congratulate him, describing it as the “civilised thing to do.”

See also  Post-NEC meetings: APC, PDP set stage for epic 2027 face-off

However, Oke said the APC campaign team was more concerned with reviewing the electoral process before making any decision.

“When you have a project of this nature with the outcome announced by INEC, we will not be in a haste, nor shall we be under pressure without doing the needful,” he said.

According to him, the party had commenced an audit of the election and directed its agents to submit relevant result sheets for scrutiny.

“We have embarked on an audit process. We have asked all our party agents to submit copies of Forms EC8A, B, and C to our secretariat for review. We need to inspect the materials,” Oke said.

Meanwhile, the party’s Director of Media and Information, Kola Olabisi, said the APC was still studying the results from all 332 wards.

The party said an election was “a process that continues through the tribunal, Court of Appeal, and Supreme Court,” adding that it would consult its lawyers and explore all legal options available under the Electoral Act if irregularities were discovered.

Oke said the party would also examine issues arising from the pre-election period and the conduct of the election against provisions of the Electoral Act and other relevant laws.

“Until we do that and form our opinion, we won’t be able to go further to say anything on this,” he said.

The APC campaign DG also criticised the Adeleke administration, questioning its record in education, healthcare and support for farmers in the state.

He said, “When you look at this in totality, you can see the failures of government glaring in the citizens’ faces.”

See also  Osun PDP, APC clash as FG releases LG allocations

Oke urged the public to give the party time to complete its assessment of the election before it announces its next course of action.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Youths vow to reject incompetent leaders in South East ahead of 2027

Published

on

The National Youth Council of Nigeria, South-East Zone, has warned politicians against electoral manipulation ahead of the 2027 elections, urging youths to use their Permanent Voter Cards to reject incompetent leaders.

The NYCN South-East Vice-President, Dr Atigwe Ifeanyi, stated this on Monday during a press briefing in Enugu on lessons from the recent Osun governorship election and preparations for the 2027 polls.

While urging young Nigerians across the five states to participate actively in the electoral process and make informed choices based on candidates’ competence, character and track record, Ifeanyi noted that the Osun election had demonstrated the importance of allowing voters to freely determine who governs them through credible elections.

He commended the Independent National Electoral Commission for its efforts and praised President Bola Tinubu for allowing democratic institutions to function without undue interference from the Presidency.

He warned politicians against relying on electoral manipulation to secure political power.

“The era where politicians rely on electoral manipulation, intimidation, inducement or rigging to secure political power must come to an end.

“Today, we are saying clearly that the people are watching and the youths are also watching, as the era of taking the people’s mandate for granted is over,” he said.

The NYCN leader urged politicians seeking elective offices to present their records before the electorate and allow voters to assess their performance.

“Every politician seeking public office must present his or her scorecard before the electorate. Let the people examine what you have achieved, what you have failed to achieve, and what you intend to do differently,” he said.

See also  APC members defect to NNPP in Kano

Ifeanyi called on youths in Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo states to obtain, protect and use their PVCs wisely.

He announced that the council would commence grassroots advocacy under its “Operation Use Your PVC Well” campaign to educate young voters on their political rights and responsibilities.

“Your PVC is not merely a card. It is your instrument of political participation and power to change bad leadership and enthrone good leadership,” he said.

He urged youths to vote for candidates who could provide accountability, good governance, security, economic opportunities and infrastructure, rather than voting solely along party lines.

“We must be bold enough to vote out non-performing leaders and vote in candidates with demonstrable records of better performance and genuine commitment to public service,” he said.

Ifeanyi also called on INEC to strengthen its processes, technology, transparency and institutional independence ahead of 2027.

He warned politicians planning to rig elections to reconsider their ambitions, saying the youths would resist electoral malpractice through lawful democratic participation.

“Any political leader whose strategy for achieving power depends on rigging or subverting the will of the electorate should reconsider such a political ambition,” he said.

He added that the youths would not resort to violence but would use their votes and civic participation to influence political outcomes.

“Our resistance will be through our PVCs, our civic participation, lawful advocacy and our collective votes,” he said.

The NYCN also urged the South-East Development Commission to focus on infrastructure renewal, economic empowerment, reconstruction and sustainable development in the region.

See also  Bode George links PDP crisis to greed, disregard for founding fathers

Ifeanyi said the 2027 elections should mark a shift from “politics of sentiments” and personality to politics based on competence, character, capacity and measurable performance.

“We must move from politics of sentiments to politics of performance; from politics of personality to politics of competence; and from politics of promises to politics of measurable results,” he said.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

VIDEO: #OSUNDECIDES2026! Angry Youths Storm INEC Office, Chant “Fadahunsi Ole”

Published

on

Some Osun youths gathered at the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in Osogbo, Saturday night, to monitor the collation of results from the governorship election.

 

In a video from the scene, the youths could be heard chanting “Fadahunsi ole, your plans will not work”.

The senator representing Osun East, Francis Fadahunsi, had earlier been captured in another video during the election, where he was seen confronting and allegedly threatening voters at his polling unit in the presence of a police officer.

The chant came as the collation of results from the election continued at the INEC headquarters.

Watch video below..

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  APC defends Yilwatda amidst fierce opposition over INEC ties
Continue Reading

Trending