The Nigerian Army has confirmed that troops of the 25 Task Force Brigade, operating in Borno State, were ambushed by terrorists while returning from an operation in the Sambisa Forest.
The Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Appolonia Anele, disclosed this in a statement on Friday, describing the incident as a “regrettable loss” but clarifying that circulating reports of a kidnapped Brigade Commander were false.
According to Anele, the soldiers were heading back to their base after what the Army described as a successful counter-terrorism operation when the insurgents launched a surprise attack.
The attack resulted in the deaths of two soldiers and two members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF).
Responding to widespread reports suggesting that a serving Brigade Commander had been abducted during the incident, Anele said the claim was unfounded.
The statement reads, “Troops of 25 Task Force Brigade, routine patrol to secure communities around Wajiroko in Azir Multe, Damboa LGA of Borno State, came under a sudden and heavy insurgent fire while returning from a successful patrol within the fringes of Sambisa Forest.
“The patrol team, which was led by the Commander 25 Brigade Brigadier General M Uba and comprised troops of 25 Task Force Brigade and members of Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), courageously fought through the insurgents’ ambush with superior firepower, forcing them to withdraw in disarray and to abandon their mission.
“During the encounter, two brave soldiers and two heroic CJTF members paid the supreme price while on active service to the nation. While commending the troops for their gallantry, the Army high command commiserates with families and associates of the deceased gallants for their heroic sacrifice to the nation.
“The Army Headquarters also wishes to debunk the fake narrative going around some media platforms online alleging the abduction of the Brigade Commander. The general public is hereby advised to disregard the fake news regarding the incident while praying for the continuous success of our gallant service men and women.
“The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, Nigerian Army Medal, salutes the uncommon bravery, resilience and sacrifice of the gallant troops who have continued to operate in one of the most dangerous theatres of conflict on behalf of our dear nation. Their unflinching commitment, even in the face of grave danger, remains a powerful reminder of the daily sacrifices being made by our gallant service men and women to keep Nigeria safe.”
The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.
The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.
According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.
The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.
“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.
“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.
“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.
“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.
“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”
Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.
The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.
A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.
“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.
The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.
According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.
Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.
“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read
“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”
The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.
He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.
According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.
He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.