Connect with us

News

Akwa Ibom gov tasks airport committee on April 1 take-off date

Published

on

Akwa Ibom State Governor, Umo Eno, has tasked the inter-ministerial committee on the international airport status of the Victor Attah Airport to ensure that all required benchmarks are met ahead of the facility’s operational take-off in April this year.

The Federal Government last year upgraded the Victor Attah Airport to international status, clearing the way for the facility to begin processing international passengers this year.

The governor also charged the committee on the Treasury Single Account to ensure the full implementation of the TSA for Internally Generated Revenue in the state.

Governor Eno gave the charge while inaugurating the committees shortly after signing into law the ₦1.585 trillion 2026 budget during an enlarged State Executive Council meeting on Monday.

A statement by the Commissioner for Information, Mr Aniekan Umanah, on Tuesday said the inauguration of the committees marked another strategic step in the administration’s drive to strengthen governance systems while fast-tracking the completion of major development projects across the state.

According to the statement, members of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on International Airport Status Implementation include Prince Enobong Uwah, Secretary to the State Government, as chairman; Hon. Emem Bob, Commissioner for Finance and Special Duties; Mr George Uriesi, Managing Director of Ibom Air; Engr. Ephraim Udosen, Permanent Secretary, Special Duties; Pastor Uwem Andrew Essien, Accountant-General, with Mr Uwem Ekanem, Managing Director of the Airport Development Authority, as secretary.

The Inter-Ministerial Committee on the Implementation of TSA-IGR has Mr Emem Bob, Commissioner for Finance, as chairman; Mr Uko Udom (SAN), Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice; Dr Frank Ekpenyong, Commissioner for Science and Digital Economy; Mr Frank Archibong, Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs; Dr Ubong Inyang, Commissioner for Lands; and Dr Linus Nkan, Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning, as members, with Mr Okon Okon, Chairman of the State Internal Revenue Service, as secretary.

See also  Why China Opposes US’ Threat Of Military Intervention In Nigeria — Experts

Eno expressed confidence in the members, noting that their expertise would contribute significantly to the state’s infrastructural growth and financial stability.

He urged them to intensify their efforts to ensure that all preparatory works remain on schedule.

“I expect this committee to work tirelessly to ensure the realisation and commencement of full operations at the international airport by the first week of April 2026,” he said.

Governor Eno emphasised the need for transparency, fiscal discipline and effective coordination across government agencies, warning that no agency of government is permitted to operate an independent account.

“No agency is allowed to own its own stand-alone account. All revenue must be generated and spent through one account. This is the only way we can maintain transparency and track our resources effectively.

“Let me make it absolutely clear that no part of government will generate money and spend.

“Please, if we find out that you circumvent this instruction in any way, we will not take it kindly. All funds should go to the Treasury Single Account.

“Then the committee will give back some percentages to the MDAs as running costs. We have a huge budget of ₦1.5 trillion, and we need these funds for the good of our people.”

Eno added, “As we speak, we know that Akwa Ibom is not owing any bank in this country — not one bank.

“And we don’t intend to owe, except if it becomes absolutely necessary, and we’ll go to the House of Assembly and make our case.

See also  Wiretapping: El-Rufai pleads not guilty, faces fresh charges

“We know there will be deficits from what we project from the federation account. We don’t intend to borrow. But we know that if we are honest, transparent and accountable, and all of us work to support the Treasury Single Account, we’ll have more than enough to execute the budget.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Wiretapping: El-Rufai pleads not guilty, faces fresh charges

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Benue teenager found hanging from roof
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Plateau Imam who shielded 262 Christians during attack is dead

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending