Connect with us

News

NLC fumes over arrest of Osun LG workers

Published

on

The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress in Osun State, Christopher Arapasopo, on Monday demanded an immediate end to the alleged serial arrests of workers at local government secretariats in the state.

While the Osun Police Command could not confirm the arrests, sources within the All Progressives Congress in the state said between two and three local government staff members were apprehended while allegedly attempting to remove documents from secretariats.

The suspects were reportedly arrested at Boluwaduro Local Government headquarters in Otan Ayegbaju and Egbedore LGA Secretariat in Awo, shortly after workers who had been on strike for nearly 11 months resumed their duties across the state.

Pictures and videos of the arrested workers, along with the documents allegedly in their possession, circulated widely on social media on Monday.

Speaking at the 2026 annual prayer event organised by the state government at the Government Secretariat in Abere, Arapasopo vowed to take labour action if the alleged harassment continued.

“The development is unacceptable for the police to be involved in such disgraceful acts. Our members have done nothing wrong and this harassment should stop without delay.

We have seen videos and pictures of our members being forced to kneel down. We condemn this conduct. We call on the police to release them. We declare our solidarity with our members. The police should stop being used by the APC on such illegal roles.”

Arapasopo accused the APC of attempting to destabilise the state, warning:

“The APC is pushing to plunge Osun into crisis. They want to create mayhem. We will not help them to destroy our state. We will resist legally and lawfully. We are a pressure group. We warn the police not to harass our people. We will not tolerate ongoing harassment of our people at the local government level. The governor has done so much for labour and for Osun people. We will reciprocate by voting massively accordingly. We will also monitor your vote accordingly. We are going to deliver accordingly. We call APC to see us clearly. We will not run away for anybody.”

See also  Ibom Air bans ‘unruly passenger’ for life after airport row

The Osun Police Command did not confirm or deny the arrests. Its Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, told The PUNCH:

“Regarding the arrest of staff, I don’t have any report yet on that. Local Government secretariat is a public environment. Anybody can come in. But anybody, be it politician or anyone, coming in to make trouble, we won’t tolerate that. Anyone coming to the council to cause trouble, we won’t tolerate that. People that have appointments or personal reasons can come. We won’t tolerate anyone coming to make trouble be it from any party. That is the directive. No operative smuggled anyone into the council areas.”

Local government workers resumed duties on Monday after nearly 11 months of industrial action, following a directive by the National Union of Local Government Employees.

The strike, which began on February 17, 2025, was triggered by a power tussle involving PDP and APC chairmen elected in the October 15, 2022, local government election.

Heavy security presence was observed at council secretariats, with access subjected to checks, amid reports of two separate alleged attempts to remove official documents in Boluwaduro and Egbedore LGAs, which reportedly led to arrests.

The Osun APC Director of Media, Kola Olabisi, on behalf of the party chairman, Tajudeen Lawal, expressed concern over what he described as the alleged misuse of court processes to paralyse local government administration:

“Procurement of court orders everywhere and at any time is the major problem we have in Osun. It has become an impediment to development because no local government chairman can function under such conditions. The administration of Governor Ademola Adeleke has gone to several courts, including courts outside Osun State, despite the presence of competent courts within the state. This is an attempt to stall development, and it has prevented access to local government funds.”

See also  Natasha invites Akpabio, others for Kogi constituency projects unveiling

Meanwhile, the chairman of Osun PDP Association of Local Governments, Sarafa Awotunde, accused the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, of partisanship, alleging that security agencies allowed APC chairmen access to council secretariats contrary to agreements:

“IGP sir, what is your interest in the affairs of local government in Osun? Are you trying to destabilise the state or ensure peace? You need to remain neutral. Allowing the APC chairmen into council offices amounts to political banditry.”

Responding, Ojelabi dismissed the allegations:“Anybody coming to the council secretariat to foment trouble will face the full weight of the law. We will not tolerate disorder from any individual or political party. The police did not escort or smuggle anyone into council offices; security operatives were deployed solely to maintain peace and order.”

The Chairman of Osun APC ALGON, Samuel Idowu, commended the workers for an orderly resumption:

“In most local government areas, some workers came to greet and welcome us in the offices. We do not have any problem with them.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Tinubu excludes drug, human trafficking, kidnapping convicts as he reviews pardon list

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ibom Air bans ‘unruly passenger’ for life after airport row
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Nigerians top list of asylum seekers in Ireland

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending