Connect with us

News

Military investigation ends: DHQ moves to arraign alleged coup plotters

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters on Monday said personnel indicted after investigations into alleged misconduct by some military officers, which uncovered claims of a plot to overthrow the government, will be arraigned before an appropriate military judicial panel.

Security and military sources familiar with the matter said President Bola Tinubu had expressed confidence in the military to try the indicted officers.

This comes amid appeals by a pro-democracy group urging the Federal Government to consider the health and welfare of officers detained in connection with the matter.

In October 2025, the DHQ announced the arrest of 16 officers over acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations.

Shortly after, Sahara Reporters alleged that the officers—ranging from the rank of Captain to Brigadier General—were arrested by the Defence Intelligence Agency for holding secret meetings to topple the government, and linked the alleged plot to the cancellation of the October 1 Independence Day parade.

At the time, the then Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau (retd), dismissed the report as an attempt to create tension and distrust, stating that the matter was a purely internal disciplinary issue.

He said an investigative panel had been constituted and that its findings would be made public.

Providing an update on Monday, the new Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, stated that a comprehensive investigation had now been concluded in accordance with established military procedures, and the report had been forwarded to the appropriate superior authority.

According to Uba, the findings identified several officers with cases to answer over allegations of plotting to overthrow the government, a conduct he described as inconsistent with the ethics, values, and professional standards of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

He said the investigation report has now been forwarded to the appropriate superior authority.

The statement partly read, “The Defence Headquarters issued a press statement in October 2025 regarding the arrest of sixteen officers over acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to inform the general public that investigations into the matter have been concluded and the report forwarded to the appropriate superior authority in line with extant regulations.

See also  Dangote exports 1.66bn litres fuel amid US-Iran tensions

“The comprehensive investigation process, conducted in accordance with established military procedures, has carefully examined all circumstances surrounding the conduct of the affected personnel. The findings have identified a number of officers with allegations of plotting to overthrow the government, which is inconsistent with the ethics, values, and professional standards required of members of the AFN. “

Uba said those indicted would be formally arraigned before relevant military judicial panels to face trial in line with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable service regulations, stressing that the process would ensure accountability while upholding fairness and due process.

He emphasised that the measures being taken were purely disciplinary and formed part of institutional mechanisms aimed at preserving order, discipline, and operational effectiveness within the ranks.

Uba said, “Accordingly, those with cases to answer will be formally arraigned before an appropriate military judicial panel to face trial in accordance with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable service regulations. This ensures accountability while upholding the principles of fairness and due process.

“The AFN reiterates that measures being taken are purely disciplinary and part of ongoing institutional mechanisms to preserve order, discipline, and operational effectiveness within the ranks. The Armed Forces remain resolute in maintaining the highest standards of professionalism, loyalty, and respect for constitutional authority.”

Plot to breach Presidential Villa security

Security and military sources have revealed that the alleged coup plotters successfully infiltrated the Presidential Villa in Abuja, with some of the perpetrators identified as serving military officers.

According to the sources, the plotters conducted detailed surveillance. They assessed security installations and identified vulnerabilities in the Villa’s defences before the plot was uncovered.

Speaking with The PUNCH on Monday, a Presidential Villa security source told The PUNCH that the plotters had infiltrated the Villa and had perfected plans to carry out the act.

See also  APC may pick Ganduje’s successor at make-or-break NEC meeting

“The coup plotters actually compromised the Villa, entered the Villa, some of them military officers. They have accessed the Villa and its security installations and vulnerabilities,” the source said.

Investigators have also traced part of the breach to Julius Berger, the company responsible for constructing and maintaining the Villa.

Both the military and security sources confided in The PUNCH that some staff members of the company were compromised, providing the plotters access to sensitive areas of the presidential complex.

The Presidential Villa, often referred to as Aso Rock, is one of the most secure facilities in the country, guarded by elite military units, intelligence operatives, and private contractors.

In October 2025, however, intelligence reports indicated unusual activity around the Villa and some staff, prompting closer monitoring by security agencies.

When asked whether the President would intervene in the ongoing investigation, a security official said, “No, the President will not stop the military from acting according to its rules and the law of the country.

“The report is already with the President, confirming there was indeed a planned coup, and the military will definitely carry out its action.”

The source added that the authorities deliberately delayed immediate action and reportage to ensure thorough investigations.

“The government and the military wanted to ensure thorough investigations were conducted, all loopholes blocked, and those involved trapped before blowing the lid,” he said.

Officials confirmed that those implicated in the plot will face a military tribunal.

The source added that “The President has expressed full confidence in the military to execute justice according to the law.”

To prevent any further breach, he explained that the security agencies were reviewing internal protocols, particularly regarding contractors and staff with access to critical areas.

Meanwhile, a pro-democracy group, the Concerned Pro-Democratic Activists of Nigeria, has appealed to President Tinubu to consider releasing the detained officers, citing concerns over their deteriorating health and prolonged detention.

Speaking to journalists on Sunday in Lafia, Nasarawa State, the group’s chairman, Yusuf Dauda, said some of the officers arrested since October 2025 were reportedly falling seriously ill in detention without adequate medical attention.

See also  VIDEO - Dangote Trucks Move Freely in China But Face Roadblocks in Nigeria | Must Watch!

Dauda also decried what he described as the denial of access to family members, saying relatives had been unable to see or communicate with the detained officers since their arrest.

He said, “The Nigerian Defence Headquarters, through its former Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau, on the 4th of October 2025, announced the arrest of some military officers over alleged indiscipline and breach of service regulations.

“The military said investigations showed that the grievances of the arrested officers were linked to repeated failure in promotion examinations and perceived career stagnation.

“Weeks after, there was a rumour that the arrest was based on an alleged coup plot, but was immediately debunked by the military and the government.

“While we strongly condemn any act of overthrow of government undemocratically, we want to draw the attention of the public and make a passionate appeal, particularly to the authorities concerned, to look into the issue with fair judgment.

“We, therefore, appeal to the Federal Government, our ever listening President, and authorities concerned to please grant them proper medical attention.”

He recalled that the military had initially said investigations showed the officers’ grievances stemmed from perceived career stagnation linked to repeated failure in promotion examinations, adding that later claims of a coup plot had been publicly denied at the time.

While condemning any attempt to overthrow a democratically elected government, Dauda urged the authorities to handle the matter with fairness, calling for proper medical care for the detainees and access to their families.

He appealed to the Federal Government to either release the officers if there was no case against them or arraign them in court, expressing the hope that his appeal would be considered.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  My father’s death turned me to Lagos hawker – Gov. Umo Eno inspiring story

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  My father’s death turned me to Lagos hawker – Gov. Umo Eno inspiring story
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  ADC Reps caucus demands INEC chair removal

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending