Connect with us

News

Benue records 383 suspected Lassa Fever cases, 47 confirmed

Published

on

Benue State Commissioner for Health and Human Services, Dr Paul Ogwuche, on Tuesday said the number of suspected Lassa fever cases in the state has risen to 383, with 47 confirmed positive.

Dr Ogwuche further explained that the overall mortality count has risen to 14 since the outbreak began in the state.

The State Epidemiologist, Dr. Msuega Asema, had in February revealed that 10 people had died from Lassa fever in Benue, with 251 suspected cases and 45 confirmed positive.

Giving an update on Tuesday, the commissioner said there have been no deaths recorded in the past 11 days.

According to him, laboratory tests carried out over the last 11 days confirmed only six positive cases out of the 47 reported.

He added that 20 patients are currently in isolation centres, with 14 at the Benue State University Teaching Hospital and six at the Federal Medical Center, Makurdi.

“We have not recorded any mortality in the last 11 days. So far, the cumulative figure of suspected cases has moved from 251 to 383, while 47 cases are confirmed cumulatively,” he said.

Ogwuche attributed the positive development to massive sensitization and education campaigns, as well as support from partners including MSF, WHO, and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

He said, “The rates have dropped drastically because we are actively combing for suspected cases. Those that are positive are few compared to before. We have engaged in regular meetings with WHO, NCDC, and the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC).

See also  Falana faults three-year jail term for man who stole yam

“Surveillance is ongoing in all 23 LGAs. We provide regular updates and carry out training of health workers on basic prevention and infection control in isolation centers, which explains why patients are not spreading the disease further.

“The pillars we put in place—sensitization and health education—have accounted for this development. People now know what to do and what they should avoid. The message has gone around all 23 LGAs.

“We are also tracking our cases early because surveillance officers are now in the field. Any reported positive case has all its contacts monitored; once symptoms appear, they are tested and taken to isolation centres.”

He added, “So the earlier a patient presents, the better the outcome. The low mortality shows that people are being tracked in their communities and brought in for early treatment.

“There is also significant intervention from our partners. NCDC, MSF, and WHO are all working together to curtail the disease. The pillars of the response, including infection prevention and control, are in place, and all our laboratories are functional and able to detect infection early and start treatment.

“The State government has supported the response with substantial funding, which has enabled us to work effectively. Everyone is on their toes, doing the needful. We have not recorded any outbreak in IDP camps. We are on the verge of distributing informational materials (flyers) to the 15 IDP camps in the state.”

Lassa fever is an acute, often severe viral hemorrhagic illness endemic to West Africa, caused by the Lassa virus and transmitted primarily by the multimammate rat.

See also  Read how US is using cash, threats to dump migrants in Africa

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Police arrest Sowore in court

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Unusual cough, fever stir panic in Lagos
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Read how US is using cash, threats to dump migrants in Africa

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending