Connect with us

Crime

16 Killed In Easter Attacks Across Benue, Kaduna, Katsina, Borno

Published

on

A series of violent attacks disrupted Easter celebrations across northern Nigeria, leaving at least 16 people dead and dozens displaced in Benue, Kaduna, Katsina and Borno states.

The incidents, carried out by suspected armed herders, terrorists and bandits, occurred in separate communities between Saturday and Sunday, prompting renewed concerns over security in the region.

In Benue State, suspected armed herders reportedly invaded Mbalom, Mbatsada and Agana communities in Gwer East Local Government Area, killing at least 10 residents and injuring several others.

The attackers were said to have stormed the communities on Saturday evening, which coincided with a market day in Mbalom, causing residents to flee for safety.

The Chairman of Gwer West Local Government Area, Timothy Adi, confirmed the attack.

“The invasion and attacks happened yesterday (Saturday) between 5pm and 6pm. Nine corpses have so far been recovered, two yesterday (Saturday) and seven today (Sunday),” he said.

Adi lamented that the attack was unprovoked and appealed to the Federal Government to intensify efforts to curb the activities of armed herders in the state.

Reacting to the incident, Governor Hyacinth Alia, through his Chief Press Secretary Kula Tersoo, condemned the killings, describing them as “a barbaric act and a direct affront to the collective peace and security of the state.”

Five Killed As Terrorists Attack Kaduna Churches

In Kaduna State, suspected terrorists attacked Ariko community in Kachia Local Government Area, targeting two Christian worship centres during Easter celebrations.

The attackers reportedly killed five worshippers and abducted 31 others during the assault.

See also  EFCC probes ‘prophet’ over alleged N70.39m fraud

The councillor representing Awon Ward, Mark Bawa, confirmed the incident to Punch and identified the affected churches as First ECWA Church and St. Augustine Catholic Church.

“I am currently on my way to the community to ascertain the exact number of casualties. Some sources said seven people were killed, while others claimed eight. I will provide an update once details are confirmed,” Bawa said.

He added that the attackers arrived in large numbers and opened fire on worshippers.

“The attackers came in large numbers. They surrounded the area and began shooting sporadically at worshippers. Several people were killed, and many others were taken away into the bush,” he said.

Army Rescues Abducted Worshippers

Troops of the Nigerian Army later rescued the 31 abducted civilians after responding to a distress call.

According to the Army, troops pursued the attackers and engaged them in a gun battle.

“Troops of the Nigerian Army, through a swift response, have successfully foiled a terrorist attack, leading to the rescue of 31 civilians abducted during an Easter church service in Ariko Village,” the Army said in a statement.

The military added that the pressure from advancing troops forced the terrorists to abandon the captives.

“The pressure mounted by the advancing troops forced the terrorists to abandon 31 hostages, including one injured victim who is currently receiving medical attention,” the statement added.

However, the remains of five victims already killed were recovered at the scene.

Policeman Killed In Katsina Bandit Attack

In Katsina State, renewed banditry attacks in Tangani and Sayaya communities of Musawa and Matazu LGAs reportedly claimed the life of a police officer.

See also  Air Force officers beat Lagos driver dead after minor crash

Governor Dikko Radda visited the affected community on Sunday to assess the damage.

The attackers were said to have ambushed the local police station, looted several shops and vandalised a primary healthcare centre.

The governor commiserated with residents and the police command, while also directing the deployment of additional security personnel to the area.

Boko Haram Attack Displaces Residents In Borno

Meanwhile, suspected Boko Haram terrorists attacked Awapul community in Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State early Sunday morning.

The attackers reportedly stormed the community around 1:30 a.m., firing sporadically and burning houses and shops, forcing residents to flee.

The spokesperson of the Borno State Police Command, ASP Nahum Daso, confirmed the attack but said no casualties were recorded.

He said, “There was an attack this morning around 1:30 a.m. in Chibok Local Government, in a village called Awapul. The attack was carried out by unknown men suspected to be Boko Haram.

“No casualties. It was a destruction of properties.”

Residents said the attackers operated on motorcycles and remained in the area for over an hour before leaving.

“They burned down houses and small shops. Some owners have gone to Chibok main town to take refuge,” a resident said.

The latest incidents occurred less than 24 hours after separate attacks on an internally displaced persons camp in Damasak and the Nganzai Divisional Police Headquarters in Borno, where four police officers and a hunter were killed.

Security forces said the attackers used Rocket-Propelled Grenades and other sophisticated weapons in an attempt to overrun the town but were repelled by security agents.

See also  Anambra couple held as police probe 10-year-old boy abuse

Authorities have since intensified operations in the affected areas as residents continue to call for a stronger security presence across vulnerable communities.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police arrest 10 suspected human parts sellers in Oyo

Published

on

The Oyo State Police Command has arrested 10 suspected human parts sellers.

The suspects were arrested in the Iseyin and Saki areas of the state.

Public Relations Officer of the command, Olayinka Ayanlade, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.

Exhibits recovered from the suspects include one suspected human heart, human flesh, pieces of human skull and assorted charms.

The statement said the exhibits have been secured for forensic examination and further investigation.

The suspects were identified as Adam Ibrahim, Nasiru Kabiru, Tijani Wasiu, Abiola Nasiru, Amusa Gbadamosi, Raheem Taofeek, Jimoh Muritala, Suleiman Busari, Ganiyu Nurudeen and Usman Abdullahi.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Hospital cleaner arrested for allegedly trying to sell placentas
Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Kebbi man arrested over alleged ritual desecration of Qur’an after burying it in pit with s€men to make woman more submissive to her husband

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.

The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.

According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.

The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.

“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.

“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.

“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.

See also  PHOTOS: Troops arrest two suspected Boko Haram informants in Borno

“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Gunmen abduct 14 passengers in Benue

Published

on

Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.

The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.

A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.

“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.

The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.

According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.

Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.

“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read

“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”

The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.

See also  Police arrest housewife for slitting husband’s throat in Katsina

He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.

According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.

He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending