Connect with us

News

Aiyedatiwa vows to flush out criminals in Ondo

Published

on

The Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has declared that his administration would no longer tolerate the acts of banditry in any part of the state, saying criminals would be flushed out of the state.

Aiyedatiwa noted that although insecurity was a nationwide concern, his administration remained committed to protecting its citizens.

He stated this on Tuesday during a familiarisation visit to the monarch of Imafon in Akure North Local l Government of the state, Oba Samuel Aliu.

No fewer than three persons were killed last week by some gunmen in the community. Two of the victims were a mother and her daughter, who worked at a poultry farm, and another resident was popular.

Irked by the development, hundreds of residents of the three local government communities of Imafon, Igushin and Ilado last Saturday took to the streets of Akure, the state capital, to protest the spate of insecurity in their communities.

The protesters who barricaded the popular ShopRite junction, a few metres away from the governor’s office, Akure, were chanting various solidarity songs, with leaves in their hands. There was a traffic logjam for several hours on the roads.

Aiyedatiwa, who also condoled the traditional ruler and residents of the community over the loss of the deceased, pledged decisive action against criminal elements operating in the axis, assuring the people that measures were already being intensified to restore calm and safeguard lives and property.

The governor disclosed, ”Security agencies, including the police, Civil Defence Corps and the military, are working in collaboration with local hunters and vigilantes to secure forests and adjoining communities.”

See also  FRSC rewards officer for rejecting 104 bribes in one month

Acknowledging progress in tackling kidnapping for ransom, Aiyedatiwa noted that the recent spate of killings indicated a troubling shift that must be urgently addressed.

“More than 100 suspected kidnappers have been arrested, detained and charged in court, while operations are ongoing to flush out criminal elements hiding in forest enclaves.

“Amotekun posts would be established within the troubled communities to enhance surveillance and improve response time,” Aiyedatiwa disclosed.

In his remarks, the Olumafon of Imafon, Oba Samuel Aliu, commended the governor’s intervention, particularly the ongoing road construction, which he said would help address security challenges.

However, he lamented the lack of firearms for vigilantes, noting that it had hampered their effectiveness in combating crimes in the state.

The monarch also complained about the delayed response of some security operatives, alleging that certain personnel operate without adequate weapons.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Soap Opera legend Eileen Fulton is de@d

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Kano Assembly moves to impeach deputy governor, see reasons
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Nollywood actor Duro Michael d!es at 67 (PHOTOS)

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending