Panic erupted on Saturday night after gunshots were fired near Donald Trump during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington, D.C., forcing security operatives to evacuate the president and guests.
It was reports that the incident occurred at the Washington Hilton Hotel, where hundreds of guests had gathered for the annual black-tie event.
The suspect was apprehended at a screening area just outside the ballroom.
Confirming the development, Trump said, “Secret Service and Law Enforcement did a fantastic job. They acted quickly and bravely. The shooter has been apprehended.”
Tactical teams reportedly stormed the venue with weapons drawn, taking control of the stage area shortly after the evacuation. Police units surrounded the hotel, while helicopters hovered overhead.
In a post on social media, Trump assured that top government officials were unharmed.
“Law Enforcement has requested that we leave the premises… The First Lady, plus the Vice President, and all Cabinet members, are in perfect condition,” he said.
He added that he would address the public shortly at the White House and pledged to reschedule the event within a month.
The shooting occurred after the welcome address and during dinner, just before Trump was due to speak.
Although organisers initially indicated the event would continue, it was later postponed following the security scare.
A cabinet official, Mehmet Oz, said he heard gunfire during the incident.
“Shots fired upstairs,” he said while being escorted out by security personnel.
The Washington Hilton Hotel has previously been the site of an assassination attempt on former President Ronald Reagan in 1981.
Trump himself survived a shooting incident during a rally in Pennsylvania in 2024 and another security threat months later in Florida.
The White House Correspondents’ Dinner, often referred to as the “Nerd Prom,” brings together journalists, media executives, and political figures for an annual fundraising event.
This marked Trump’s first attendance at the event while in office, despite years of strained relations with the media.
The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.
The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.
According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.
The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.
“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.
“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.
“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.
“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.
“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”
Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.
The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.
A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.
“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.
The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.
According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.
Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.
“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read
“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”
The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.
He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.
According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.
He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.