Connect with us

News

Court orders speedy trial for alleged coup plot, tribunal resumes May

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, ordered an accelerated hearing in the trial of six suspects accused of plotting to overthrow President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

A parallel court-martial proceedings involving serving military officers linked to the alleged plot are also set to resume on May 8.

The development was contained in a statement shared with our correspondent on Monday, indicating that Justice Joyce Abdulmalik invoked a speedy trial procedure and fixed April 29, April 30, May 4, and May 5 for the commencement of the trial and hearing of bail applications.

Those standing trial are Mohammed Ibrahim Gana, a retired major-general; Erasmus Ochegobia Victor, a retired navy captain; Ahmed Ibrahim, a police inspector; and Zekeri Umoru, an electrician at the Presidential Villa.

Others are Bukar Kashim Goni and Abdulkadir Sani, a Zaria-based Islamic cleric.

They are facing a 13-count charge bordering on treason, terrorism, failure to disclose information, and money laundering, to which they all pleaded not guilty.

According to the statement, the Attorney General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), informed the court that the prosecution had witnesses ready, subject to the court’s convenience.

Counsel for the first defendant, Mohammed Ilayepo, told the court that his client’s bail application was due for hearing.

Justice Abdulmalik, however, ruled that the trial would commence before any bail applications were considered.

Lawyers to the second, third, and sixth defendants, Paul Erokoro, A.I. Yeru, and N.S. Diri expressed reservations about proceeding, citing short notice and the complexity of the case.

The judge subsequently directed all parties to agree on dates suitable for a speedy trial before fixing the adjourned dates.

See also  Defence minister pledges stronger security in schools

The PUNCH reports that journalists were barred from covering proceedings as the court prepared to hear the bail applications.

Court officials, backed by operatives of the Department of State Services, directed reporters to vacate the courtroom shortly before Justice Abdulmalik took her seat.

A court official, who did not disclose his name, told journalists that the directive emanated from the judge, while a DSS operative said he would offer an explanation later.

The reporters, however, complied and exited the courtroom shortly after the judge was seated.

Correspondents had arrived at the court as early as 8:00 a.m. but were forced to leave at about 9:07 a.m. following the order.

The six defendants were arraigned last Wednesday by the Federal Government over an alleged failed coup.

In count one of the charges, the defendants are alleged to have conspired in 2025 to “levy war against the state to overpower the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” an offence punishable under Section 37(2) of the Criminal Code.

Following their arraignment, the court had earlier fixed April 27 for the hearing of their bail applications and ordered that they be remanded in the custody of the DSS.

Meanwhile, proceedings before a military tribunal are also gaining momentum.

The Defence Headquarters confirmed to the AFP that the court martial of 36 serving officers accused in connection with the alleged coup plot will resume on May 8.

The officers, who were earlier arraigned before the military panel sitting at the Guards Brigade Scorpion Mess in Asokoro, Abuja, are facing internal disciplinary charges under military law, separate from the civilian prosecution at the Federal High Court.

See also  Just In: Police Re-Arrest Sowore Outside Kuje Court Moments After Bail

The dual-track proceedings—civilian trial and military court martial—underline the scale of the alleged conspiracy, which authorities say involved both serving personnel and civilians.

Meanwhile, a former Bayelsa State Governor, Timipre Sylva, who was mentioned in seven of the 13 counts but has not been listed as a defendant, is currently at large.

Earlier reports indicated that at least 40 suspects, including serving and retired military personnel and civilians, were arrested in connection with the alleged plot.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Burkina Faso grounds Nigerian military aircraft over airspace violation

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Burkina Faso grounds Nigerian military aircraft over airspace violation
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Burkina Faso grounds Nigerian military aircraft over airspace violation

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending