Connect with us

News

FG demands protection after two Nigerians killed in South Africa

Published

on

A fresh xenophobic violence in South Africa has claimed the lives of two Nigerians, triggering fear and panic within the diaspora community and prompting urgent diplomatic engagement by the Federal Government.

The development comes as Nigerians living in South Africa demanded protection by the Federal Government, saying that protecting Nigerians abroad is both a constitutional and moral obligation of the government.

The Nigerian Consulate General in Johannesburg confirmed that Amaramiro Emmanuel and Ekpenyong Andrew were killed in separate incidents linked to rising anti-foreigner tensions.

The Consul-General, Ninikanwa Okey-Uche, disclosed in a statement on Monday that Emmanuel died from injuries allegedly sustained after being beaten by personnel of the South African National Defence Force on April 20.

Andrew, she said, was apprehended on April 19 in the Booysens area of Pretoria following an alleged altercation with members of the Tshwane Metro Police, and his body was later discovered at the Pretoria Central Mortuary.

The consul-general said the separate cases, involving security personnel, have left the victims’ families, the Nigerian community, and diplomatic missions in shock.

A formal case has since been opened with the South African Police Service, while the Nigerian mission has urged the Independent Police Investigative Directorate to ensure a thorough, transparent, and impartial investigation.

“We call on South African authorities to thoroughly investigate the matter and bring the perpetrators to justice.

“No matter the allegations, there are lawful processes. Everyone should be presumed innocent and granted a fair hearing in a court of law. No one should take the law into their hands,” she said.

The Consul General added that the consulate was engaging relevant authorities and would provide necessary support to the families of the deceased, while warning against the growing trend of profiling Nigerians as criminals.

Okey-Uche also urged Nigerians in South Africa to remain calm and law-abiding as investigations continue.

The killings come amid escalating xenophobic hostility, with multiple viral videos showing threats, intimidation, and attempts by mobs to target foreign nationals.

In one such video, a Nigerian trader was confronted during an anti-immigrant protest and ordered to leave the country with his family.

See also  FG, States, LGs Share ₦1.89 Trillion As VAT Revenue Drops

“How come you are here in South Africa to continue selling goods?” one of the men asked.

Despite explaining his long stay and livelihood, the trader’s plea was dismissed.

“I didn’t come to South Africa today. I have been here for a long time. The only thing is what I’m doing to feed my children,” he said.

The group, however, insisted that foreigners were no longer welcome.

“From now on, we don’t want foreigners in this town. We are fixing our South Africa now,” one voice declared.

“Take your wife and go back to your country. Take your children and go and raise them at home,” a second voice said.

In another disturbing development, an Ethiopian national was shot dead in what appeared to be a targeted killing in downtown Johannesburg, further heightening concerns over the safety of foreign nationals.

CCTV footage circulating online showed the victim being approached and shot at close range at a busy intersection, with no immediate provocation or robbery, suggesting a deliberate attack.

Authorities confirmed that no arrests had been made and investigations were ongoing.

Amid the violence, the South African Police Service condemned acts of intimidation against foreigners.

“These actions are not only unlawful, but they stand in direct opposition to the values of dignity, equality, and human rights upon which our democracy is founded,” the police said.

Nigerians seek help

Reacting, the Nigerian Citizens Association in South Africa warned of increasing hostility, harassment, and alleged police brutality against Nigerians and other African nationals.

NICASA President, Frank Onyekwelu, described the situation as alarming and called for urgent intervention by Nigerian and African leaders.

“We are alarmed by the increasing normalisation of hostility, manifested through inflammatory rhetoric by certain political actors, unlawful intimidation, and discriminatory enforcement practices by some law enforcement personnel.

“These actions not only undermine human dignity, but also threaten the long-standing bonds of African solidarity.

“On behalf of the Nigerian community, I appeal to President Bola Tinubu, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chairman/CEO of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Nigerian Senate and House of Representatives to act with urgency, firmness, and strategic diplomacy in tackling these developments,” he said.

See also  EFCC detains Energy Commission DG; read why

Onyekwelu further called for stronger diplomatic engagement, accountability for erring officers, and the creation of mechanisms to document and address xenophobic abuses.

“Nigerians in South Africa are law-abiding, economically contributing, and socially integrated members of society. The reckless stereotyping and collective criminalisation of our people must stop.

“NICASA reiterates its commitment to peace, lawful conduct, and constructive engagement within our host nation. We urge compatriots to remain calm, vigilant, and compliant with the laws of South Africa, while we pursue diplomatic and institutional remedies,” he said.

Safety advisory

The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission also issued safety advisories, warning of escalating protests in parts of South Africa, including Durban, Cape Town, and KwaZulu-Natal, where incidents of looting, property damage, and violence have been reported.

“Nigerian nationals are also urged to remain law-abiding always,” the commission stated.

The agency advised Nigerians to avoid confrontations, monitor local developments, and, in some cases, temporarily shut down businesses to prevent losses.

Despite the tensions, Nigeria’s Acting Ambassador to South Africa, Alexander Ajayi, maintained that the situation was under control and not a coordinated siege against Nigerians.

“Let me first make the point that right now, Nigerians are not under siege in South Africa. The situation is currently under control. The governments are working on it.

“The two governments are working on it. Actually, the priority right now is to ensure the safety and well-being of every citizen, including foreigners,” he said.

He described the incidents as “isolated tension” and urged caution, noting that authorities had taken steps to contain unrest in affected areas.

Ramaphosa cautions

On his part, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa urged foreign nationals to respect the country’s laws and traditions while reaffirming his commitment to international law and human rights.

In a video during his address on Monday, on the occasion of Freedom Day, he said, “To those who are here legally, respect us as South Africans, respect our laws, respect our conventions and our traditions, as you would want us to respect the laws and traditions of your own country,” he said.

See also  Police arrest ex-presidential aide Obono-Obla in C’River

FG engages S’Africa

The Federal Government of Nigeria has formally called on South Africa to ensure the protection of the lives and property of Nigerians and other foreign nationals.

The call was contained in a statement issued on Monday in Abuja by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa.

“Nigeria recalls the recent attacks on foreign nationals in some major cities in South Africa.

“As brotherly countries, Nigeria wishes to use the occasion of the anniversary of Freedom Day to call on the Government of South Africa to protect the lives and property of foreigners from fellow African countries currently residing in their country.

“Nigeria remains confident that the enduring partnership between both nations will continue to contribute to peace, stability, and sustainable development across the African continent.

“The government and people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria extend their best wishes to the government and people of South Africa for continued unity, progress, and prosperity,” the statement read.

It noted that Nigeria and South Africa share deep historical ties rooted in the anti-apartheid struggle and have since built a strong bilateral relationship spanning trade, defence, education, and cultural exchange, as well as cooperation within the African Union and United Nations.

It also highlighted ongoing collaboration through frameworks such as the Bi-National Commission, while stressing the importance of continental unity and collective progress.

Congratulating South Africa on its Freedom Day, Nigeria said the occasion marked the historic 1994 democratic elections that ended apartheid and ushered in majority rule.

The statement added that the 2026 celebration reflected 32 years of democratic governance and the country’s commitment to constitutionalism, rule of law, equality, and human dignity.

“On this auspicious occasion, Nigeria reaffirms its commitment to further strengthening bilateral relations with South Africa and deepening cooperation across strategic sectors for the mutual benefit of both countries,” the statement stated.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation – DHQ

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters on Monday said Nigerian troops, in collaboration with the United States Africa Command, killed more than 20 Islamic State West Africa Province fighters during fresh coordinated air strikes in the North-East.

The DHQ said the operation was carried out in the general area of Metele following intelligence reports on the convergence and movement of terrorist elements within the region.

In a statement by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen. Samaila Uba, the military said the strikes formed part of sustained operations aimed at dismantling terrorist networks and denying insurgents safe haven in the country.

“The Defence Headquarters, in close coordination with United States Africa Command, wish to update the general public on the continuation of coordinated operations against ISIS militants across the North East Nigeria, with additional air strike operations successfully executed in the general area of Metele.

“Following observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, multiple air strikes were conducted resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters,” the statement partly read.

The military said the ongoing operations were designed to disrupt terrorist activities, remove fighters from the battlefield and prevent insurgents from regrouping.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation,” the statement added.

Uba stressed that terrorists threatening citizens and national stability would be located and defeated, saying that there would be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria.

“Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated. There will be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” he said.

See also  EFCC detains Energy Commission DG; read why

This is coming after the announcements by United States President Donald Trump and President Bola Tinubu confirming the killing of ISIS kingpin, Al-Minuki during a joint counterterrorism operation conducted by Nigerian and US forces.

Trump described the slain militant as the most active terrorist in the world and claimed he was the second in command of ISIS globally,” adding that the terrorist leader believed he could evade capture in Africa.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Bus knocks pedestrian dead in Ogun

Published

on

A pedestrian has lost his life after being knocked down by a Toyota Coaster bus at Imowo, along the Imowo-Ibadan Road inward Ijebu Ode in Ogun State.

PUNCH Metro gathered on Monday from the spokesperson for the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Agency, Babatunde Akinbiyi, that the fatal accident occurred at about 4:45 pm on Sunday and caused serious traffic congestion along the route due to the obstruction caused by the bus.

He noted that TRACE operatives and police officers from the Obalende Division were immediately deployed to the scene to manage traffic and rescue operations.

According to him, the accident happened when the pedestrian allegedly failed to check the other side of the road before attempting to cross.

The agency noted that there was a diversion to a single lane outward Ijebu Ode due to ongoing road rehabilitation works along the axis.

The statement read, “According to eyewitness account, the pedestrian forgot to check the other side of the road before crossing the road. There is diversion to one lane due to ongoing road rehabilitation on the axis.”

Akinbiyi added that no other injuries were recorded in the incident aside from the death of the male pedestrian.

He further disclosed that its operatives controlled vehicular movement around the scene to ease traffic congestion and prevent secondary accidents.

“TRACE operatives assisted in carrying the presumed dead into the OGSAS ambulance, while the body was subsequently conveyed to the General Hospital mortuary, Ijebu Ode,” the statement added.

The TRACE Head of Media stressed further that the accidented Toyota Coaster bus was later evacuated from the road and moved to the Police Area Command, Igbeba, for further investigation.

See also  UPDATED: New acting INEC chair takes over

The agency confirmed that normal vehicular movement had been restored after the evacuation exercise.

PUNCH Metro reported earlier that an auto crash along the Third Mainland Bridge left a policeman riding on a motorcycle, dead after being hit by a Lexus car.

The driver of the car was said to have surrendered himself to the police following the incident.

Continue Reading

News

FG cracks down on unapproved contract variations in MDAs

Published

on

The Federal Government, through its Bureau of Public Procurement, on Sunday barred government Ministries, Departments, and Agencies from processing upward revisions of contract sums without first obtaining a Bureau certificate.

This was as it issued other sweeping guidelines that centralised the review of all contract variations and scope modifications under its authority. According to a statement signed by its Head of Press and Public Relations, Zira Nagga, the Bureau said the reform is designed to close one of the most persistent channels for cost inflation and corruption in Nigeria’s public procurement system.

The guidelines, issued pursuant to Sections 5(a) and (o) of the Public Procurement Act 2007, give effect to a Federal Executive Council-approved policy conveyed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in December 2025.

The statement is titled ‘Contract Variations: BPP Releases Guidelines.’

The new guidelines replace an earlier 2013 framework that required Presidential approval only for variations above 15 per cent of the initial contract sum or N1bn.

Under the new framework, every request for a variation order, fluctuation claim, or scope modification, regardless of size, must first be submitted to the BPP for review and certification before proceeding to the relevant approving authority.

Nagga noted that a BPP Certificate of No Objection, valid for six months, is now a mandatory precondition for any further action. Variations processed without it will attract sanctions under the Public Procurement Act 2007, including suspension of responsible officers and debarment of contractors, the statement said.

It also quoted the Bureau’s Director-General, Adebowale Adedokun, as saying, “Variations must not become a backdoor for cost inflation and scope creep.

See also  Kwankwaso, others may face US visa ban over religious freedom violations

“These guidelines ensure that every adjustment to a public contract is necessary, justified, and delivers value to Nigerians. The BPP will apply these rules rigorously and fairly across all MDAs.”

Accordingly, the guidelines draw a firm line between permissible and impermissible grounds for variation. Acceptable grounds include unforeseen site conditions, material errors in design or bills of quantities, statutory changes after contract execution, significant price escalation due to macroeconomic shocks or force majeure, and value engineering improvements that reduce cost without altering scope.

Variations arising from inadequate planning, avoidable design flaws, or the addition of new components not contemplated in the original contract scope will be rejected outright, Nagga noted.

Such additions, the guidelines stated, must be procured as entirely separate contracts, a provision aimed at blocking the practice of using variations to effectively award new projects under the cover of an existing contract.

On fluctuation claims, adjustments for changes in the cost of labour, materials, and exchange rates, the guidelines introduced new deterrents against deliberate project delays.

It stated that, going forward, contractors found to have intentionally slowed down execution in order to generate larger fluctuation claims will be denied those claims and may be debarred if the claims are found to be bogus or overstated.

The revised approving authority thresholds are now tied to the augmentation sum, the amount of the increase, rather than the total revised contract cost. Works variations of N10bn and above will require Federal Executive Council approval.

It stated, “Those between N5bn and N10bn go to the Ministerial Tenders Board; those between N75m and N5bn to the Parastatal Tenders Board; and anything below N75m for works, or N50m for goods and services, can be approved at the Accounting Officer level.”

See also  UPDATED: New acting INEC chair takes over

Similar thresholds apply to goods and services procurement. To address the upstream cause of many avoidable variations, the guidelines mandated the use of approved final designs for all procurements from the outset.

It also stated that the use of preliminary or flawed designs that subsequently generate unnecessary variations will attract regulatory sanctions, a provision targeting the entrenched practice of commencing projects with incomplete engineering designs.

On transparency, the BPP said all MDAs are required to publish details of every approved variation, including the contractor’s name, original contract sum, augmentation amount, revised contract sum, and grounds for the increase, on their websites and the BPP portal within 30 days of Tenders Board approval.

The BPP said it will also periodically submit council notes to the Federal Executive Council on reviewed and approved variations across government. The guidelines take immediate effect and apply to all ongoing projects regardless of when the original contract was awarded.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending