Connect with us

Politics

Court hears fresh applications in suit seeking to deregister ADC, Accord, others

Published

on

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Monday heard fresh arguments in the suit seeking to deregister the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Accord Party and other political parties, with defendants urging the court to stay proceedings pending the determination of an appeal before the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division.

After hearing the application for stay of proceedings and joinder, the trial judge, Justice Peter Lifu, subsequently adjourned the matter till May 18, 2026.

The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/2637/2026, was instituted by the Incorporated Trustees of the National Forum of Former Legislators against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and several political parties.

At the proceedings, counsel for the sixth defendant (Accord), Musibau Adetunbi, SAN, urged the court to suspend further hearing in the matter, arguing that an application relating to the proceedings had already been filed before the Court of Appeal.

Adetunbi, who cited Supreme Court authorities, argued that a lower court could not continue to entertain arguments on issues already pending before a higher court.

Counsel for the 3rd defendant, the ADC, S.E. Aruwa; counsel for the 4th defendant (Action Alliance), Peter Abang; counsel for the 5th defendant (Action Peoples Party); and counsel for the 7th defendant (Zenith Labour Party), all aligned with the submissions seeking a stay of proceedings in the matter.

The defence lawyers collectively argued that it was settled law that the trial court should await the outcome of proceedings at the appellate court before taking further steps in the matter.

They maintained that proceeding with the hearing of the suit while an appeal was pending could prejudice the issues already submitted before the Court of Appeal.

See also  Convention venue row: Wike dares ADC to prove application

Counsel for the APP further informed the court that an affidavit of facts had already been filed before the appellate court on May 7, 2026, and served on parties, adding that no counter-affidavit had been filed against the processes.

Abang, however, raised an additional argument on jurisdiction, contending that the 4th defendant had earlier challenged the competence of the suit and that the court should not proceed in a manner capable of pre-empting the appellate court’s decision on the issue.

Aruwa (ADC) also argued that the Court of Appeal was active and could determine the appeal within a week.

Opposing the applications, counsel for the plaintiff, Yakubu Abdullahi Ruba, argued that the appeal before the appellate court was interlocutory and did not automatically deprive the trial court of jurisdiction to continue hearing the matter.

Ruba relied on a 1989 Supreme Court decision, insisting that there was no subsisting order from either the Supreme Court or the Court of Appeal directing Justice Lifu to stay proceedings.

Counsel for the first defendant (INEC), Haliru Mohammed, told the court that he would align himself with the position of the law, while noting that INEC had already filed a counter-affidavit to the substantive suit.

Counsel for the AGF, O.A. Abdulraheem, did not take any position on the issue.

The court also entertained several applications for joinder filed by politicians seeking to be made defendants in the matter.

Counsel for an applicant seeking to be joined as the 8th defendant, M.E. Sherriff, urged the court to grant the application filed on behalf of a serving member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Sani Yakubu Noma.

See also  Tinubu doesn’t fully trust me because I supported Peter Obi — Cubana Chief Priest

Sherriff argued that his client, being a member of the ADC, would be directly affected if the party were deregistered.

Another applicant seeking to be joined as the 9th defendant, Abayomi Oluwafemi, told the court through his counsel that he intended to contest the Ogun State governorship election on the platform of the ADC, and would therefore be adversely affected if the party was deregistered.

The 6th defendant also moved separate applications seeking the joinder of two governorship candidates of the Accord Party in Osun and Ekiti states, as the 10th and 11th defendants.

Responding, counsel for the plaintiff opposed all the joinder applications on the ground that the applicants were not necessary parties since no relief was being sought against them.

The plaintiff further contended that one of the applicants had admitted in his affidavit that he belonged to the Labour Party, which was not a defendant in the suit and urged the court to dismiss the applications and award N50 million costs.

Counsel for the applicants, however, argued that parties likely to be adversely affected by the outcome of a suit were entitled to be joined under Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution.

The judge thereafter adjourned the matter till May 18 for ruling and adoption of all processes for final determination of the court.

tribuneonlineng.com

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

VIDEO: #OSUNDECIDES2026! Angry Youths Storm INEC Office, Chant “Fadahunsi Ole”

Published

on

Some Osun youths gathered at the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in Osogbo, Saturday night, to monitor the collation of results from the governorship election.

 

In a video from the scene, the youths could be heard chanting “Fadahunsi ole, your plans will not work”.

The senator representing Osun East, Francis Fadahunsi, had earlier been captured in another video during the election, where he was seen confronting and allegedly threatening voters at his polling unit in the presence of a police officer.

The chant came as the collation of results from the election continued at the INEC headquarters.

Watch video below..

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Tinubu doesn’t fully trust me because I supported Peter Obi — Cubana Chief Priest
Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Election: EU Observer Hub Uncovers 323 Electoral Offences, 38 Security Incidents

Published

on

The European Union (EU) Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria Election Observation Hub (EU-SDGN EOH) has claimed that there were over 38 reported security incidents and 323 electoral offences and irregularities in the Osun 2026 election.

Naija News reports that the Union, which comprises the Centre for Media and Society (CEMESO), the International Press Centre (IPC), the Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF), TAF Africa, The Kukah Centre (TKC) and Yiaga Africa, made the claim in a statement on Saturday.

The hub asserted that the 726 polling units monitored were disrupted by violent acts and irregularities.

They disclosed that they had deployed 823 accredited observers across polling units in all 30 local government areas to monitor the election.

The statement read, “Of 2,339,233 registered voters, 1,906,390, representing 81.50 per cent, had collected their Permanent Voters Cards and were eligible to vote.”

Speaking on the security incidents, the Union stated that there were 25 cases of thuggery, 12 attacks on electoral officials and 9 cases of voter intimidation by security personnel.

The hub said, “It separately recorded 323 cases of electoral offences across the polling units observed, including 103 cases of vote trading, 85 cases of exposure of ballot papers, 31 cases of obstruction of voters, 38 cases of campaigning at polling units, 28 cases of inducement of polling and security officials, 14 cases of voter impersonation, 12 cases of multiple voting and 7 cases of misconduct by election officials.”

The Hub also identified specific cases of voter intimidation by security agents at PU 29-10-10-005, Igbon District Council School, Ejigbo, and PU 29-30-06-015, opposite No. 22 Oke Ola Street, Okanla Area, Osogbo.

See also  Wait till 2031, Akume admonishes northern politicians

“During the accreditation process, 608 of 726 observed polling units, or 83.7 per cent, had polling officials with a full complement of both sensitive and non-sensitive materials between 7:30am and 8:00 am. A further 75 polling units opened between 8:00am and 8:30am, and 42 between 8:30 am and 11:00am, while one polling unit remained unopened as of 11:00am due to the non-arrival of personnel and materials,” the statement read.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Poll: Full List Of LGAs Won By Adeleke

Published

on

The Governor of Osun State and candidate of the Accord Party (A), Ademola Adeleke, has been officially declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as the winner of the 2026 governorship election.

Naija News had earlier reported that Adeleke, who contested against the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Oyebamiji and several other candidates, had a total of 511,067 votes while Oyebamiji gathered 444,815 votes, a difference of 66,256 votes.

Adeleke won 19 local government areas, while his closest rival, Oyebamiji, won 11.

Here are the local government areas won by Adeleke:

Ede North: Adeleke — 35,427; APC — 10,283

Osogbo: Adeleke — 36,480; APC — 30,474

Ede South: Adeleke — 26,188; APC — 6,219

Iwo: Adeleke — 27,085; APC — 19,660

Ife East: Adeleke — 27,201; APC — 18,600

Ife Central: Adeleke — 21,171; APC — 15,913

Ifelodun: Adeleke — 21,107; APC — 18,396

Oriade: Adeleke — 21,343; APC — 14,863

Egbedore: Adeleke — 19,278; APC — 11,194

Odo Otin: Adeleke — 18,003; APC — 15,435

Ilesa West: Adeleke — 16,196; APC — 12,756

Ila: Adeleke — 16,211; APC — 12,934

Ayedaade: Adeleke — 16,681; APC — 15,719

Ife North: Adeleke — 13,879; APC — 9,613

Orolu: Adeleke — 12,352; APC — 10,622

Boluwaduro: Adeleke — 7,118; APC — 7,050

Ayedire: Adeleke — 11,073; APC — 9,910

Ejigbo Local Government Area and Ifedayo

Meanwhile, the European Union (EU) Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria Election Observation Hub (EU-SDGN EOH) has claimed that there were over 38 reported security incidents and 323 electoral offences and irregularities in the Osun 2026 election.

See also  Convention venue row: Wike dares ADC to prove application

Naija News reports that the Union, which comprises the Centre for Media and Society (CEMESO), the International Press Centre (IPC), the Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF), TAF Africa, The Kukah Centre (TKC) and Yiaga Africa, made the claim in a statement on Saturday.

The hub asserted that violent acts and irregularities disrupted the 726 polling units monitored.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending